What's new

(Cubase) setting expression map articulation in MIDI file

wuubb

Expression maps are great, yet they still require you to manually assign articulations to each note in the MIDI editor. Does Cubase assign articulations when using expression maps to any kind of CC or other property that could be added/changed in a MIDI file?

I want to explore the possibility of writing a script that takes scores from notation programs such as Sibelius/Dorico, and cleans them up for DAW import. One of the things that would be nice would be the ability to apply say a staccato articulation to each MIDI note in the file that has that marking in the score. That way, when you import the MIDI file, the articulations are already assigned and you don't have to waste time doing that.

Does what I'm saying make any sense? Does anyone know whether that would be possible?

Thanks!

Nice idea.
IMHO expression maps are just midi commands, which are displayed based on the expression maps setup.
You could export a track with expression maps to midi - re-import it and take a look what happens.

It doesn't look like the articulation information is saved with the MIDI file... I suppose it's an internal thing then that Cubase does...

Top Bottom