What's new

Cubase Pro 10.5 or Studio One Pro 5

Success :elephant: - I found the problem with my S1 testing vs LPX & Cubase! I woke up last night with the "duh" moment when I realized I used multi-instruments for the Kontakt, Diva and Repro instruments in S1 but had to build out individual tracks in LPX & Cubase. My theory was the multi-instruments all piled onto a single thread instead of scaling across multiple threads. This would explain why live mode busking looked fine, but multi-track playback sucked.

I just rebuilt the test song using individual tracks with separate instrument instances per (exactly how my Logic & Cubase projects were done), set the process buffer (aka ASIO Guard in Cubase or Process Buffer in Logic) to High and hit Play - approx 50-75% CPU, no overloads at all! This is a bit worse than LPX (expected on Mac) and a bit better than Cubase.

I also was getting stuck notes on the Diva instances which I seem to have cured by using VST2 versions instead of VST3.

I knew I must have done something idiotic.

UPDATE - still getting stuck notes on the VST2 DIVA instances, so I guess I need to email Uhrs on that.

Good to hear you could solve your issues. However I never had this kind of problem with Multi Instruments even with my ancient music computer :D

UPDATE - still getting stuck notes on the VST2 DIVA instances, so I guess I need to email Uhrs on that.
I also use DIVA (VST 2 version) quite frequently but never had stuck notes. But I'm on Windows 10... maybe there is a MacOS issue!?

Thank you for your answers and opinions.

For stability the same for you, but more positive points for Studio One.

My use will only be for vst, therefore, better Cubase or Studio One Pro?

Questioning what you say about Studio One ...

I intend to take a pc, it will be the same problem or Studio One Pro more optimized for a pc?

Thank you for your feedback and opinion on Studio One.

In fact, what does Studio One Pro really lack compared to a Cubase?

I mean by that, for vst use and without the video part.

Of course it helped, all opinions, feedback, experiences matter.

I looked at the different versions of Studio One, this is the Pro version best suited to my needs, thank you for your answer.

One thing that both Cubase and Studio One lacks is a clip launcher.

Very relevant your intervention on the artist version of Studio One, it is true that for a lot of users it will be quite sufficient.

Regarding your thoughts on Studio One and EDM, it would even be an excellent idea that he continues to develop in this direction.

With the Atom SQ controller, it opens a way, as a clips launcher said above and voila, it could offer a daw hybrid, mix of Live and Cubase with Presonus DNA.

Honestly, I use both. I compose mostly in S1 (Because I like the workflow better), Then, sometimes I'll move it to Cubase if I need something I didn't have in S1 (which is becoming a short list).

Thank you for your reply.

What do you lack in Studio One compared to Cubase?

Do you have good cpu management both in Cubase and in Studio One, where one of the two is more greedy and more quickly saturated with the number of tracks?

I agree. You will never know how a DAW works for you or your system before you try it yourself. Download the trials/demos. Its free and you get all of your questions anwsered emediatly.

Good to hear you could solve your issues. However I never had this kind of problem with Multi Instruments even with my ancient music computer :D

I also use DIVA (VST 2 version) quite frequently but never had stuck notes. But I'm on Windows 10... maybe there is a MacOS issue!?

The Diva stuck note thing is very intermittent - not a huge problem. There is a known issue with the Diva arpeggiator causing stuck notes, but the patches I was using don't use the arpeggiator.

I am going to test the multi-instrument thing again today, but it makes sense to me. I was also using 3-4 multi's, each with 4 instruments (1 Kontakt, 2 Diva and 1 Repro), so it was likely not a real world use case.

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, doing a test would be the most appropriate.

But as already said, I am not a fan of essays and therefore risk creating conflicts and the like.

The reason why I ask your opinions, I know my expectations and your feedback helps me to make the most suitable choice according to the advantages and disadvantages of each one and my expectations.

I am going to test the multi-instrument thing again today, but it makes sense to me. I was also using 3-4 multi's, each with 4 instruments (1 Kontakt, 2 Diva and 1 Repro), so it was likely not a real world use case.
Indeed! DIVA und Repro can be extremely CPU consuming. I can easily bring my computer to 95% ASIO usage with just one DIVA instance... well, it's modeling and it's quite expensive. So it's not really surprising if 4 multis (8x DIVA and 4x Repro) take your computer to the limits. BUT there shouldn't be big differences between Studio One and Cubase. If they are, this suggests that the settings (S1 Dropout Protection / Cubase ASIO Guard) are not the same / not set correctly. Did you check out the S1 videos / tutorials that show how to set up the DP / dual latency engine in Studio One? I'm just asking because this sounds really strange :)

I starting posting Studio One articles on https://www.dawtrek.com (www.dawtrek.com).

I only have one article posted on Cubase/Nuendo so far.

The Chord tracks of both DAWs are similar.

Cubase/Nuendo can extract chords from a MIDI Part.
S1 can extract chords from MIDI parts and audio events.

Chord specification in Cubase/Nuendo has more assistance.
Chords can be picked from the circle of 5ths or by proximity.
It can also suggest alternative nearest chords and assist with cadences.
S1 doesn't have that.

Cubase/Nuendo chord pads have adaptive voicing calculated automatically.
With Cubase/Nuendo chord pads you can enter chords fast into a MIDI/Instrument track with the adaptive voicing.
S1 doesn't have chord pads.
S1 does have macros that allow you to edit MIDI really fast but that's not the same thing.

I find S1 workflows to be among the fastest.
If you are coming from another DAW you may be able to start using S1 without looking at the manual.

Cubase/Nuendo is well organized and generally goes deeper.
Workflows are not as intuitive as S1 or optimized for workflow speed.
S1's forte is working fast.

The Presonus ecosystem of external hardware makes it easy to setup a Presonus shop.
S1 doesn't have the VR and gaming friendly features of Nuendo.
And S1 only has the Video player versus the 2 video tracks in Nuendo.
Cubase/Nuendo has many marker tracks that are ideal for working in film or broadcast
S1 has only one marker track.

If need to work in production or post production audio, Cubase/Nuendo is going to be a better choice IMO.
If you want to record songs and put together albums fast then S1 will save you time.

DAWs are like guitars IMO, it helps to have more than one.
But if I had to choose between having a second guitar or a second DAW, I'd buy the second DAW instead of the second guitar. :)

Last edited:
Indeed! DIVA und Repro can be extremely CPU consuming. I can easily bring my computer to 95% ASIO usage with just one DIVA instance... well, it's modeling and it's quite expensive. So it's not really surprising if 4 multis (8x DIVA and 4x Repro) take your computer to the limits. BUT there shouldn't be big differences between Studio One and Cubase. If they are, this suggests that the settings (S1 Dropout Protection / Cubase ASIO Guard) are not the same / not set correctly. Did you check out the S1 videos / tutorials that show how to set up the DP / dual latency engine in Studio One? I'm just asking because this sounds really strange :)

All I did was replace the multis with individual tracks and CPU usage went from 100+% (constant clicks and pops, red overload indicator continuously on) to about 50-60%. I left everything else alone. In fact, changing the process buffer makes little difference unless I put it at "low" or "minimal". Likewise changing ASIO Guard between Normal and High in Cubase isn't a huge difference with this project.

I'm completely certain that the multis don't distribute across the cores like conventional tracks.

Thank you for your answers.

So, if I understand correctly, not really any fundamental differences between Cubase and Studio One, just for post production videos use, Cubase is more suitable and more complete.

On the other hand, Studio One handling is much simpler and better ergonomic.

Then complete universe for Studio One, dedicated controllers, faderport.

So Studio One remains very competitive with Cubase.

On the other hand, the cpu charge challenges me.

For an equivalent project (vst / audios / samples), which one between Cubase and Studio One best manages the cpu load and consumption?

For an equivalent project (vst / audios / samples), which one between Cubase and Studio One best manages the cpu load and consumption?
As people make different experiences on different systems with different OS, different instruments and effects, you can't generalize it. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, one like the other can quite match.

It's just this cpu load management that worries me a bit.

Not really want at one point to find myself with a daw that will saturate because poor management of cpu.

You will probably know after a 2 hours test run with the Studio One 5 demo version... on my system the download takes about 30 seconds.

Even if not a fan of trying demos, I would be very interested in Studio One, because it seems easier to use and according to several opinions better ergonomics than Cubase.

What Studio One lacks is a clip launcher like in Live:)

I learned that Digital Performer 10 has a clip launcher just like Live.

Do you think that it is possible in the near future that Studio One could integrate this function?

Do you think that it is possible in the near future that Studio One could integrate this function?
It's possible. But nobody can tell you ;)

But since Studio One recently added the Show Page, it's very likely that more performance features will be added in the feature.

Hope so.

Presonus if you hear this request:)

That's what it lacks, it would be complete that way.

Given its ergonomics and other advantages of Studio One, it would certainly be a perfect hybridization;)

Top Bottom