What's new

Cubase or Studio One?

Which is the better DAW for composing film music?

• Cubase 8.5 Pro

Votes: 68 84.0%
  • Studio One 3 Pro

Votes: 13 16.0%

• Total voters
I was trying S1 v3 for a couple of months, but decided to sell it now (its for sale!) as I was torn between Cubase and S1 and did not want to spend time on both DAWs. But I still think it is an amazing DAW and the decision was not easy (months!). The familiarity with C8 won over, and the know-how for more advanced editing. C8.5 on Win10 has been quite stable for me btw.

Interesting.

I'm actually loving the workflow in Studio One Pro v3 . Although I'm just starting to get acquainted with it.

Cubase 8.5.20 on Windows 8.1 is my primary DAW. What amazed me is how close these two DAWs are in terms of overall structure/design, and even some of the key-commands are the same. imho. S1v3 feels less cluttered, not sure if this is because it has less features than Cubase, but it is refreshing to me. I wouldn't be very surprised if I end up using S1v3 more than Cubase Pro 8.5.20 once I get more familiar, and experienced with it. The Drag-n-Drop functionality does speed overall workflow for me. I also like the browser in S1v3 better than Cubase's browser. everything is nicely organized, and you can even setup favorite Effects, and Instrument in the browser. Overall, I'm finding S1v3 to be very friendly, and similar to Cubase, which makes it a great, and easy choice for an alternative DAW option.

Thanks for the feedback on Windows 10 and Cubase Pro 8.5, I'm glad to know that you have a stable system.

Actually, I have been holding back on moving from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, seems like some users have no issues in Windows 10, but others have. So, I'm just playing it safe for a little longer and sticking to Windows 8.1

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I used S1 get 2 for a while but Cubase 8 is infinitely better for my purposes. No notation editor is a deal breaker for me.

What amazed me is how close these two DAWs are in terms of overall structure/design, and even some of the key-commands are the same.

Most of the S1 team come from Steinberg that's why it feels like next gen Cubase but it has a long way to go.

Most of the S1 team come from Steinberg that's why it feels like next gen Cubase but it has a long way to go.

Yes, I'm aware of that fact. Actually they were the Steinberg Nuendo development team.

I have a feeling that S1v4 will be taking another big step up from version 3.

I really like the way Presonus is developing Studio One, i.e. Steinberg developed the Arranger Track feature in Cubase/Nuendo, but have not bothered to improve, or enhance it for decades. Now comes Presonus and offers both Arranger Track and Scratch Pad features in Studio One v3 ! I'm sure they will be adding some very useful new features in Version 4. Hopefully they will have it out next year.

I have a feeling that S1v4 will be taking another big step up from version 3.

I had the similar feelings when S1v3 was about to release. In fact most of us. Presonus basically wanted to conquer the PT users hearts in S1v3 so they made improvements in audio editing area leaving midi as it is. Hopefully this time they will target Cubase users by improving/introducing more advance midi features.

Interesting.

Cubase 8.5.20 on Windows 8.1 is my primary DAW. What amazed me is how close these two DAWs are in terms of overall structure/design, and even some of the key-commands are the same. imho. S1v3 feels less cluttered, not sure if this is because it has less features than Cubase, but it is refreshing to me. I wouldn't be very surprised if I end up using S1v3 more than Cubase Pro 8.5.20 once I get more familiar, and experienced with it. The Drag-n-Drop functionality does speed overall workflow for me. I also like the browser in S1v3 better than Cubase's browser. everything is nicely organized, and you can even setup favorite Effects, and Instrument in the browser. Overall, I'm finding S1v3 to be very friendly, and similar to Cubase, which makes it a great, and easy choice for an alternative DAW option.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I totally agree with you, I like so many things about S1 - drag and drop, automation assignments, super fast boot and no USB dongle, etc. However, I don't want to be focused on 2 DAWs, so I stuck with C8 as I know it already for a while and it's really good all-around daw.

I had the similar feelings when S1v3 was about to release. In fact most of us. Presonus basically wanted to conquer the PT users hearts in S1v3 so they made improvements in audio editing area leaving midi as it is. Hopefully this time they will target Cubase users by improving/introducing more advance midi features.

Yes, that's very true. Presonus is attracting Pro Tools users to move to Studio One (check out their Youtube channel, lots of Studio One Pro for Pro Tools users tutorials have been made for PT users). I think they are doing a very good job at it. So, I wouldn't be surprised if their next focus is Cubase, and possibly Logic Pro users. That's why I think S1v4 will have more focus on midi-features, they already have great Audio editing features.

Oh.. anyone know, or want to elaborate on this announcement from Steinberg

Is this issue only affecting Cubase on Windows 10 ? what about the other DAWs on Windows 10 ? and how many plug-ins are we talking here ?

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/vst-plugin-loading-limitation-on-windows-3852.html

They also need to integrate a new non-quicktime based video player in Cubase/Nuendo , so far they are taking their time.

Last edited:
Some gossip going on over at the Presonus/Studio One forum.

"Please join us August 25 at 10am CDT for TWO major software announcements. Get a first look at some exciting new stuff that has been years in the making! Interviews, tutorials, Q&A, and a chance to win several free prizes…
New: we’re now streaming on YouTube as well as Livestream! Your choice:"

Some gossip going on over at the Presonus/Studio One forum.

"Please join us August 25 at 10am CDT for TWO major software announcements. Get a first look at some exciting new stuff that has been years in the making! Interviews, tutorials, Q&A, and a chance to win several free prizes…
New: we’re now streaming on YouTube as well as Livestream! Your choice:"

If they do announce Studio One Pro v4 that would be a huge surprise and party time
party.gif
icon_thumbsup.gif
But I doubt it's ready. I was thinking it would be released early 2017. Although 'Major Software Announcements' could mean more than just an update.
icon_wink.gif

I guess we have to wait and see.

What could be the second major software announcement ?

You can watch the Live Stream on August 25th, 8:00 AM here :

Last edited:
Maybe something to do with Notion ? New version?
Or a real, real surprise. Notation in Studio One !:faint:
(I can't see that happening for a while, if ever).

I hope that next v4 version will have more focus on midi tools also..

One bad point for me is that S1 doesn´t support EUCON and Presonus answered me that it won´t be supported...

I hope that next v4 version will have more focus on midi tools also..

One bad point for me is that S1 doesn´t support EUCON and Presonus answered me that it won´t be supported...

Same here, definitely a no go for me without Eucon.

Top Bottom