What's new

Cubase : mutliple time signatures on various instruments ?

mac88104

Hello,

In the middle of a piece, is it possible to assign for example, a 4/4 signature to cellos and violas, while the rest of the Orchestra stays in 12/8 ?
This is what happens, for instance, to bars 35 of the 1978 Superman Theme, but I do not see how to implement this in Cubase 8.5...

Thank you for your replies

Last edited:
Sorry, I've no idea about the Cubase question -- it seems like the kind of thing that would be challenging for sequencing as opposed to notation software -- but it seems to me the particular example you gave is just a shorthand to avoid having to write a number of duplets (the next bar is in 12/8). Can you not just divide the 12/8 bar into 4 duplets in Cubase?

You can do this by changing the grid settings whenever you are working in 4/4 or 12/8 meter. I made some Touch OSC controls that switch between duple and triple grids so I can go back and forth fairly easily. There isn't a way to assign different grids to different tracks, or assign multiple time signatures at the same time as far as I know, since the tempo track is universal. Obviously you could also switch it by just clicking the correct grid setting that you need in the midi editor screen. So if you are in 4/4 you would want to switch to something that showed straight eighth notes for 4/4 or eighth note triplets for the 12/8.

Top Bottom