What's new

Cubase - merge midi when copy-pasting onto an existing part?

kestudi

Is there a way to copy a MIDI passage and then paste it to another track on top of another region that already has MIDI data, and just merge the two tracks as oppose to replace the existing region?

Example: I have a 3-voice chordal passage that is spread over three MIDI instruments, and I want to merge the MIDI data from the three tracks together into one MIDI track (for a polyphonic instrument).

I've been in Cubase for a year now, but just starting to get into the nitty-gritty of MIDI (coming from digital performer). As much as DP was annoying, I loved that I could select notes from one midi track, drag them onto another midi track, and it would just merge them in with the existing MIDI on the destination track.

Is there any similar workflow in Cubase?

Not sure if this is your answer, but you can drag any MIDI track onto another MIDI track and "merge" them by clicking on the combined tracks using the GLUE tool.

Not sure if this is your answer, but you can drag any MIDI track onto another MIDI track and "merge" them by clicking on the combined tracks using the GLUE tool.
But if the two regions are covering the same span of time (on top of each other) , Cubase just deletes whatever is underneath and only retains the data on the top layer

I combine MIDI often that way. Check in the Preferences Menu under Editing, and make sure Delete Overlaps in not checked. I may have done that a long time ago and forgotten it.

I combine MIDI often that way. Check in the Preferences Menu under Editing, and make sure Delete Overlaps in not checked. I may have done that a long time ago and forgotten it.
Nice, that did the trick!

As far as moving a SUBSET of notes from a region to another track, I guess the only option is the In-Place editor, right? Which is OK, it's just annoying to correctly place the data you cut into the new track.

Top Bottom