Cubase - Insane GUI Lag. Help!

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Guffy, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Guffy

Guffy Fugdup

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    This is a problem that i've had for some time now, and i can't seem to fix it.
    I've googled my ass off to no avail.

This is a project with no instruments, audio tracks or FX.
    VEP isn't connected. It's pure midi data.

At the laggiest part in the video, there's 17 different midi tracks being triggered, and most of them has from 1 to max 4 types of CC data written in them (Vel, Mod, exp, pitch or cc16).

I have a GTX 1080, and i'm running cubase in 3440x1440p.

I've already tried:
    - Reinstalling Cubase (had this issue in Cubase 9.0.4 and it's no better in v9.5)
    - Reinstalling Audio interface drivers + software.
    - Reinstalling GPU drivers (Also tried rolling back to earlier versions)
    - I must have tried to check/uncheck every single option in the cubase preferences by now.
    - Disabled all kinds of stuff like Windows Defender.
    - Cleaned up PC with CCleaner etc.

I'm out of ideas now.

It's extremely frustrating to work like this.
    If it can't handle 17 midi tracks not connected to any instruments, how is it gonna perform with twice that amount?

Anyway.
    Do i really have to switch DAW, or is there something i can do to reduce that horrible lag?

Thanks.

Edit: Higher res vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4t7959wywf0i2w/Desktop 2018.06.25 - 16.25.21.02.mp4?dl=0

2. colony nofi

colony nofi Senior Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi there,
    Have you contacted Steinberg support about this?
    Cheers, Brendan.

3. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Are you by chance using a Nektar controller?

4. OP
    OP
    Guffy

Guffy Fugdup

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    Yes i have, but if it's anything like my last experience it'll take months before they get back to me.

Nope

5. colony nofi

colony nofi Senior Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Who did you contact / how did you contact? (Where are you located in the world...)
    b.

6. OP
    OP
    Guffy

Guffy Fugdup

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    - Used the MySupport section after logging in.
    - Norway :)

7. benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Try this:

Go into GeForce control panel, turn default graphics settings to Performance. Go to custom application settings in the control panel, find Cubase, and turn off/downall settings to either "off" or "performance mode".

You'll notice a huge difference.

8. Karma

Karma Spitfire Audio

Apr 2, 2016
    London, United Kingdom
    I have the exact same issue, with the difference being that I'm using an R9 390 as my GPU. Done tons of research and I'm still unable to get anywhere sadly.

9. zolhof

zolhof Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Silent Hill
    I had this issue when 9.0 was released, the piano roll was particularly laggy, but it went away with an update.

I'm using a GTX 1070 with the latest driver and couldn't reproduce your issue with 9.5, nor the visual glitches shown here. I feel for you guys though, dealing with this crap can be really distracting.

I've tried all sorts of worspace configurations (4K and 2K monitors) and couldn't trigger any lag or visual glitches.

Use DDU to perform a clean driver installation (safe mode option) and remove all the bundled crap like 3D Vision, Physx, HD Audio Driver and Geforce Experience when you reinstall.

If you are using a TV or Monitor with onboard audio, make sure to disable it > Device Manager > System Devices > High Definition Audio Controller (right click, disable). Even if you turn it off in the NVIDIA Control Panel (setup digital audio) somehow the driver will creep back in and can mess with your main audio interface. Disabling the controller at the Device Manager is the only way to be sure.

Here are my NCP options, they are pretty much stock:

benatural's tip could help, the only drawback to using Maximum Performance is a bit higher power consumption and heat.

edit: When you contact Steinberg support, send them your DxDiag, it will be easier to troubleshoot. Start > run > dxdiag > Save All Information. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Guffy likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Guffy

Guffy Fugdup

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    Tried your suggestions, but there's no improvement unfortunately.
    Thanks for your input though!

11. Will Blackburn

Will Blackburn Active Member

Oct 28, 2012
    London
    same lag issue here in the audio editor. i've never had the problem before (using same graphics card) until upgrading from 8.5 to 9.5.

0.20 here

12. pisskeule

pisskeule New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Guys, I would strongly suggest that you stay away from high performance graphics boards like the 1080. Their drivers ( nvidia ) are shite, and they are being prioritised by Windows, taking away real time performance from other system processes.
    I dumped my Geforce in favour of a AMD FirePro w5100, and that basically sorted out all my issue regarding DPC latency. In fact, the swap brought it down to 7-20 in LatencyMon.

Just make sure you're taking a mid range card, that's more than enough for anything Cubase.

13. Scott Moran

Scott Moran New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    This may not be any help at all, but I had the same kind of issue in Ableton and it was the monitor refresh rate. I had to turn it down from 144hz to 60hz.

14. OP
    OP
    Guffy

Guffy Fugdup

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    Interesting.
    There are people using nvidia cards without these issues though..
    I've sold my 1080, and right now i put an older 560Ti in it's place, but it's just as bad. I suspect my 1st gen scarlett 6i6 might be the culprit here since i notice some improvement if i switch to other audio drivers temporarily installed to check. Changes to graphic settings has made zero difference.

Mine has always been 60

15. pisskeule

pisskeule New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    It's the bloody drivers. I suppose its because of NVIDIA's edge in technology, they're way ahead and hence probably don't need to optimise drivers as much as AMD.

16. OP
    OP
    Guffy

Guffy Fugdup

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    I can't be the only person in here using a Nvidia GTX series card though?
    Yet i seem to be in the minority here with this issue.

17. zolhof

zolhof Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Silent Hill
    Hey Guffy, have you upgraded to C10? If so, any improvements? I hope so! :)

18. MarcusD

MarcusD Active Member

Jul 25, 2015
    England
    Make sure you turn off G-Sync in the Nvida Control Pannel. Had the same laggy issue in C10. Seems to have solved it (at least for me)