What's new

Cubase Folder Structure Question?

BigAL

Hey All on VI,

Recently I deleted some recorded vocals that were stored in an "Untitled folder," they weren't contained in my Cubase Project Folder. After trying multiple data recovery programs, each program that was able to locate them and recovered, every time the WAV file came was corrupt. So I lost the vocals.

I would like to prevent this from happening in the future, I am a little confused how to save a Project and how a Cubase Project Folder structure works? I also have some other Projects that saved some samples into more "Untitled folders," I have the samples in different locations, I would like to gather them and contain them in each Project folder.

Huge Thanks to everyone on VI,
BigAL

Dirk Ehlert

Dirk Ehlert
The easiest way to make sure the project audio is in it's corresponding subfolder, is to not use "save project" but "backup project" - which creates an entire new folder structure (after you've created that song folder) and takes all the audio from the project and places it in that new backup. That way you have all the audio in its "regular" place

OP
B

BigAL

The easiest way to make sure the project audio is in it's corresponding subfolder, is to not use "save project" but "backup project" - which creates an entire new folder structure (after you've created that song folder) and takes all the audio from the project and places it in that new backup. That way you have all the audio in its "regular" place
Thanks for the post/reply Dirk, it's appreciated! I have actually watched lots of your videos so that's pretty awesome to see your reply!

Ah, I saw a video on saving a backup but I wasn't entirely sure if that was how one should save a Project instead of "Save Project," essentially if I find all the locations for Cubase to find and replace, then I should use, "Backup Project," to create a new version, which will create a new folder structure? Then if I work on the new version the "Backup," version will any new added audio be saved to the new folder structure when I Ctrl+S?

I will run some trials tomorrow with a Sound Design project that I created in Cubase and stored on one of my Hard Drives that weren't samples I had made previously in Ableton and stored in Ableton Projects. I'm not sure if you have ever used Ableton but if so is, "Backup Project," kind of like, "Collect all and save," in Ableton? Although Ableton's "Collect all and save," gathers everything to that Project Folder not creating a new one but after collecting all and saving early on any new audio gets saved to that project folder.

On Cubase what I typically did was make a new folder in the explorer with the name of the Project I was working on then saved my Project there, I think that was incorrect?

Thanks again for the reply!
BigAL

stigc56

This is one of the weak sides in Cubase I think. You have to be really disciplined with where you save data used in one or more songs. I would be really nice to have the Logic feature where you can save ALL files used in a project in a project. For now the best solution is to use Back up Project, because it's impossible to change the Project Folder in any other way.

There's a setting in the new projects dialog that has to be activated, that will force you to create a new project folder manually every time you create a new project. When you use this setting then all of your files and everything will go into the project folder you created when you created the new project, as it should be. Super easy.

OP
B

BigAL

There's a setting in the new projects dialog that has to be activated, that will force you to create a new project folder manually every time you create a new project. When you use this setting then all of your files and everything will go into the project folder you created when you created the new project, as it should be. Super easy.
Thanks Labornvain, it’s appreciated. I will look into the “New Projects,” dialogue settings later today.

Cheers,
BigAL

NYC Composer

Anytime I’m using audio, I use “back up project”. It’s a crap way they have it set up, and I did it wrong for a while and had to go searching for audio files-definitely not fun.

Top Bottom