What's new

Cubase & fader controller options

CC121 is definitely not discontinued.
they sell out like hot cupcakes
i ordered one at thomann.de that is on its way as we speak.
Vintage King are expecting few units into their shop.
send them a line and they will reserve one for you.

I'm stuck with a Presonus Faderport (2018 v2) now. Didn't even occur to me that the Mackie Control protocol wouldn't autobank (to follow my channel selection) in Cubase.... To me this was the most basic feature assumption - it's absolutely useless without it. I thought, maybe I could just use the fader as a MIDI controller and map that in cubase. But Presonus hasn't implemented that on this single fader unit.

A well built piece of junk!! :(

And more surprising to ME...is they KNOW that--their original Faderport DOES follow DAW focus. I was looking at buying the v2 until I read they stopped that and started using MCU. I mean I get it--they did it thinking they only had to have one (MCU emulating) driver for the One/8/16...and while for the 8 and 16 that's defensible, for a SINGLE FADER to use that...defeats most of the purpose of a single fader unit.

Apologies if this is not the correct thread, but I'm trying to figure out how to assign an external controller fader to a Cubase fader, in such a way that when I enable or disable a track it doesn't change the fader assignment of the controller.

So, using Studio Setup - Generic Remote, I have the following setup (see attached), where VOL_Front is a physical external fader and sends a MIDI message to Mixer device, Mixer 5.1 Front.

The issue:-
Picture 1 (Before) attached shows it correctly assigned, then I enable an instrument track, and then Cubase automatically re-assigns the fader mapping it to some other Mixer control - which in this case is
Rear 5.1
Picture 2 (After)

Does anyone know how to prevent Cubase from automatically re-assigning the mapping?
OR is there some other way to create a permanent fader assignment to a MIDI message?

I'm using Nuendo 10.3 and Cubase Pro 10 - both of which have created the same issue !!

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice,
Jon

Attachments

• Capture_BEFORE.JPG
    Capture_BEFORE.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Capture_AFTER.jpg
    Capture_AFTER.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 14
Anyone?? I'm guessing this is a big issue for anyone that uses any kind of external MIDI controller devices for mixing and fader control etc.
But so far no replies.

I have placed a request and feature request with #Steinberg, but n response after 7 days.

Would appreciate any thoughts :)

I can't believe I've just bought a 12 year old device - an Alphatrack - connected it up to Windows 10 Cubase 10 and it's all working. And it's following tracks in Cubase like a new-born lamb...
I love my alphatrack. I’ve had it and been using it since 2004! But I can’t get it to Properly work with Cubase 10.5. What did you do to make it work? Do all of the functions work? I get fader, Mute, solo, but no pan, marker, track readout, and my absolute favorite, the knob to Scroll through tracks. Help!

Apologies if this is not the correct thread, but I'm trying to figure out how to assign an external controller fader to a Cubase fader, in such a way that when I enable or disable a track it doesn't change the fader assignment of the controller.

So, using Studio Setup - Generic Remote, I have the following setup (see attached), where VOL_Front is a physical external fader and sends a MIDI message to Mixer device, Mixer 5.1 Front.

The issue:-
Picture 1 (Before) attached shows it correctly assigned, then I enable an instrument track, and then Cubase automatically re-assigns the fader mapping it to some other Mixer control - which in this case is
Rear 5.1
Picture 2 (After)

Does anyone know how to prevent Cubase from automatically re-assigning the mapping?
OR is there some other way to create a permanent fader assignment to a MIDI message?

I'm using Nuendo 10.3 and Cubase Pro 10 - both of which have created the same issue !!

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice,
Jon

Unfortunately, if you assign a control to a specific vst mixer channel in generic remote editor, say to channel x, if you add channel a before it, it will move to controlling channel y. These assignments get pushed down the list of channels. It's very strange, but been around for ages. A work around I have used is to have the channels that you want to permanently control at the very start of your mixer (top of the transport/far left of your mixer). However, If they are output channels, or if any channels get created to the left/before them, this could prove troublesome. So the way around that is to create a new audio channel, and route the quick controls on them to specific channels in your mixer. E.g. quick control 1 to volume of 5.1 Centre out. Quick control 2 to 5.1 Centre mute, etc. Then have that channel with your quick controls on it hidden and at the very top/left of your session. Hope that makes sense.

But I can’t get it to Properly work with Cubase 10.5. What did you do to make it work? Do all of the functions work? I get fader, Mute, solo, but no pan, marker, track readout, and my absolute favorite, the knob to Scroll through tracks. Help!
I've only just upgraded to Cubase 11 from 10. The fader and readout is really all I use on it but will check and let you know when back in the studio.

N11 is built on exactly the same code base as C11. So if its working there, it will work on N11 when it comes out.
My fingers are firmly crossed for this to be finally sorted.
Judging by the support tickets I’ve submitted to Steinberg, I’m assuming Steinberg no longer respond to request for support. I’ve submitted 5 tickets over a month ago and so far no response. Very unprofessional !!!!!!

The last time they responded to any of my support tickets was back in 2018.

The state of controllers for Cubase is a bit "touchy".... :elephant:

There isn't any perfect (or good enough) product out there. (maybe Nuage but, it's stupidly expensive and not very well updated I've gathered).
I am using the Presonus Faderport16 which is all right for fast balancing and automations.
Can't really complain, for that use, I actually enjoy it.
But it is just ridiculous, that a company owning Yamaha tech and all its digital mixers experience can't come up with a decently priced completely dedicated controller.

The state of controllers for Cubase is a bit "touchy".... :elephant:

There isn't any perfect (or good enough) product out there. (maybe Nuage but, it's stupidly expensive and not very well updated I've gathered).
I am using the Presonus Faderport16 which is all right for fast balancing and automations.
Can't really complain, for that use, I actually enjoy it.
But it is just ridiculous, that a company owning Yamaha tech and all its digital mixers experience can't come up with a decently priced completely dedicated controller.
Yeah - it’s not brilliant. But eucon based controllers still really work incredibly well. So mcmix or s1/s3 etc. We’ve just got some s1’s in that work great. And same techniques as the mix to split the faders between motorised audio faders and non-motorised midi faders (I like 4 of each)
The integrations with Cubase are deep... and once you program some macros onto the user buttons, things can really get moving :)

Ahhh, controllers, where to start. Okay, after lengthy research, I have concluded that unless you have a spare 30K sitting around then no one single device (nuage) is going to cut it for control of Cubase/Nuendo, and that is for various BS reasons, mainly protectionism but anyway, for now, it is what it is.

So, understanding that this is the case and begrudgingly accepting it, I have set up for use with Cubase 11, a CC121 (which I have owned from new at least 10 years and is as good as the day I bought it), an AVID S1 and in the new year, I am going to try to get hold of a nOb controller (www.nobcontrol.com), they are a kickstarter thing and always sold out, they cant make them quick enough it would seem.

The CC121 is (I think) an excellent piece of gear, well made (no question) and does what it says on the tin. I suppose the problem with it is, in a world where a lot has changed in ten years it doesn't quite have enough on the tin. 10 years ago I still had a Triton, a Supernova and a DAT machine. So a single channel strip motorised fader, with the potential of the AI knob (nice idea, hardly use it), in it's form factor, very very useful, and still is. However, everything is about control now, it (for me) is the synergy between a two dimensional digital world of flexible creativity fused with the human like analogue characteristics which the tactile nature of control surfaces allow. A total control situation for which there appears to be lot of demand but not much in the way of deliverance. Not at an acceptable price point at least.

Is it any surprise that hybrid type products have had impressive sales in recent times, with Arturia, one of a few predominantly software producers breaking out into the world of producing hardware. I have owned a version of NI Maschine since the very first one and that epitomises the hybrid synergy between tactile hardware and integrated software. I also have Ipads with controller apps, an X32 producer mixer which can be used as a Mackie/Hui DAW controller and that has 16 motorised faders and banks up to 32 output channels. Thing is the Mackie control is just useless, I don't bother with it, hinders not enhances workflow. So, again, for me £1500 worth of S1, CC121 and nOb pretty much does for me what Nuage does for a heck of a lot less money. I would prefer an all in one solution and I think maybe that will come but it does not appear likely in the immediate future.

This debate will likely rage on. If Yamaha has such a problem with AVID (and Eucon), I don't understand why they don't do the necessary work to allow Eucon to work as it was intended and if they want to compete in that market, design a new rival high speed protocol that is completely their own and bring products to market that are competitive, I fail to see why they could not produce better units than AVID as it is to work with their own software. Like with the CC121, I just want an 8-16 channel version with OLED scribble strips and faster network connection (like the S1) at a around a £1000, (I would probably pay up to £3000 but no more) is it too much to ask for? I mean when you see what they have done with what can only be described as a masterpiece, the Montage. Well, it shows what they can do when they put their minds to it. Funny thing about that though, the only remote editor you can purchase for Montage is PC based (no IOS or android) and it is not even yamaha's own proprietary software, it is produced by a very clever and very nice greek chap by the name of John Melas. Reminds me of jbridge (any one remember that one), made by Jay in his shed and Steinberg bought it off him because it worked better than their own VSTBridge which kept crashing. Yamaha have form but what can you do, AVID controllers under Eucon are your best bet even though they don't work properly. I don't know if this helps anyone but my best bit of advice on this topic. Wait it out for as long as you can (or eu con for our friends in bonnie scotland) as in this world, the next thing is generally better than the last thing but but not always. Merry Christmas everyone.

I recently purchased a Qcon icon pro g2 and couldn’t be happier. It works fantastic with Cubase and with extender I have 16 channels quality motorized faders, great transport. Looks pro. Solidly built. Great price better than everything else I have tried and rarely mentioned. I like many have been searching for years for a 16 channel motorized controller that is quality and affordable. This is it for me. Can extend to 32 channels

Top Bottom