What's new

Cubase expression maps with VE Pro....

stevendieveney

Has anyone had any luck setting up an expression map in Cubase with articulations on different channels in Kontakt within VE Pro? I have no trouble with an instrument track within Cubase but once I connect to an identical Kontakt instrument within VE Pro it doesn't work....

Any ideas for a workaround? As I would love to keep all my Kontakt instances living in VE Pro....

Thanks so much!

Steve

snattack

This is odd, I've set up loads of EXP maps connected to VE Pro. What exactly is it that you're trying to do? Screenshot of the exp-map?

OP
S

stevendieveney

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to control Berlin Woodwinds Exp B with an expression map. (I'm not at my studio today so I can do screen grabs.)

I've set up a Kontakt instance in VE Pro and added five articulations for flute on ascending midi channels.

Then in my expression map I'm using chromatic keyswitches for the articulations. Each keyswitch accesses the corresponding ascending midi channel.

Seems simple enough to me.... I read another post where someone claimed he didn't think it was possible. But that doesn't seem quite right. I must have some pilot error on my end.

jamwerks

In the Expression map designer, on the top right, there you can assign stuff like program changes, midi channels, etc.

Mahlon

Is it that the Expression Maps are just not changing the articulation? Or are you not hearing any sound at all? If the latter, make sure the VE Pro server is connected to your instance.

Are the MIDI Ports in VE Pro setup correctly? And also, are the Outs in the VE Pro Instance activated in Cubase?

First thing to know would be if you're hearing sound at all from VE Pro or if it's just the Expression Maps not seeming to work.

Also, I've forgotten before to actually assign an expression map to the track I'm working on.

Sorry to be pedantic, but just getting a few more clues.

Mahlon

Conor Brace Music

Yes, it works.

If you're putting all the instruments in a single Kontakt instance (on a single VE Pro channel), make sure that VE Pro MIDI channel is set to "Omni."

If you're spreading the instruments across multiple Kontakt instances (multiple VE Pro channels), make sure each VE Pro MIDI channel is set correctly, and that each instrument's MIDI channel is set to match, or to Omni. (This is the one I forget all the time, since newly loaded instruments default to MIDI channel 1 in this situation.)

If that's unclear or doesn't solve your problem, post some screenshots of both parts of your setup! :)

OP
S

stevendieveney

Thanks for your help! I got it working. Yes, the midi channel for the kontakt instance needs to be set to OMNI. All square now - and happy. Much appreciated.

Steve

Top Bottom