What's new

Cubase Expression Maps w/ KeySwitches or ProgChanges?

Hello fellow composers,
maybe someone can help me on this:
I set up all my Expression maps in Cubase using Program Changes sent from my Lemur Touch Controller to Cubase.
As I'm reprogramming the lemur interface I realized that using KeySwitches simplifies the scripting.

Question: I remember using Keyswitches years ago but I ran into the following problem:
When using a Strings Ensemble Patch (say Spitfire Chamber Strings) it uses most of the keys of an 88 piano as playable notes
and there are not enough free note for keyswitches.
OR:
I set up all key switches for a Double Bass bass (where most of the high notes a free for KS as there are no notes to play)
But when I copy that Expression map for a Violin I have to change most of the keyswicthes because in a violin patch
the lower notes are free.

I saw a Studiotimes video by @JunkieXL where he explains Expression maps using keyswitches.
As he's a perfectionist (both musically and technically) I think I miss something on this topic...?

A big thanks to @Mihkel Zilmer for creating all your template explanation videos and sharing a lemur template of yours!
I learned a lot from your thoughts and strategies.

Fort any help on this a big THANK YOU in advance! Best, Karsten

I set up all key switches for a Double Bass bass (where most of the high notes a free for KS as there are no notes to play)
But when I copy that Expression map for a Violin I have to change most of the keyswicthes because in a violin patch
the lower notes are free.

Just transpose the lower instruments in the inspector (12 or 24 HT). Expression Map KS won't be affected.

Hi This, thank you for you answer.
Interesting idea - did. to think of that.

Fortunately, my tech guy found a way to have Lemur send Prog.Changes - YaaY

Best, Karsten

Looks like you already got your solution, but I personally use program changes as well, via Lemur. Less hassle...

Glad you found a solution.

Question: I remember using Keyswitches years ago but I ran into the following problem:
When using a Strings Ensemble Patch (say Spitfire Chamber Strings) it uses most of the keys of an 88 piano as playable notes
and there are not enough free note for keyswitches.

The lowest key on the 88 Key Keyboard is A-1, the highest is C7. Cubase and Expression Maps allow midi notes between C-2 and G8, so there is plenty of headroom, even for the ambitious keyswitcher.

Great that you found a solution. Over here I use program changes for other tasks, and I have chosen a midi notes based system: I always set up my external midi controllers, that I use for key switching, to send notes starting from C-2 on a specified MIDI channel. Then, IF I''m about to use a Kontakt patch requiring higher notes I open a MIDI insert plugin on the track and set it to transpose notes of the key-switching MIDI channel within the range that is clashing with the instrument patch's default.

On Expressions Maps side I have found it helpful to keep a general expr map that only switches between MIDI channels. This becomes powerful and time-saving when setting up a temporary Kontakt Multi on the fly. When you drag and drop patches into the right area, Kontakt automatically assigns the patches to unique channels. With such an expr map at hand you can get up to 16 alterations (or completely different patches) ready to go on the same Kontakt instance within seconds.

Top Bottom