Cubase and VE pro - better to load everything in a few VE pro instances, or less in more VE pros?

JT3_Jon

Hello everyone,

Before I spend a bunch of time which could potentially lead to disaster, does anyone have any info on if its better to load individual instruments into large VE pro instances using multiple ports, or better to load many, many small VE pro instances using less ports?

I come from Logic Pro, where we were forced to use many small instances due to the AU format not allowing port access. So the max we could load would be 16 midi channels per VE pro. With VST we have access to ports, which in theory means I could load all my instruments in a single VE pro if I add enough ports.

Which do you find is the better way to go? I ran a quick test using 8 port VE pros, and was able to load 24 full Omnisphere multis (192 individual instruments) between 3 VE pros, each with their own audio stream going back into Cubase! BTW, CPU performance wise it didnt seem to matter if I was routing individual or group audio into Cubase. Now this was just a test, but it seemed to work well. Is there any reason not to have big VE pro instances like this? Would love to hear some "real world" advice on how best to use VE pro with Cubase.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
JT3_Jon

JT3_Jon

I just ran two more tests, one with 3-port VE pro, and one with 1 port ve pro using instrument tracks instead of instrument racks, and at least in terms of CPU performance it didn't make a difference. So now I'm even more torn. Perhaps it doesn't really matter in the end? Or is there pitfalls to be aware of?

OP
JT3_Jon

JT3_Jon

bump in the hopes someone else might share their test results. Out of habit I'm still loading multiple VE Pro instances for each instrument group - i.e. Strings, Brass, Winds, Percussion, Synths, Guitars, Drums. I also keep PLAY instances in their own server just incase (read somewhere this was important). Each VE Pro has 5 midi ports active and 48 audio output ports. I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to upping my ports & maybe upping my audio outputs as well and combining some of these instances into large single instances? Or go the opposite way and lower the ports and audio outputs and open more VE pro instances. Right now I'm in the middle, mainly out of uncertainty.

Would love to hear how others have setup their systems and why.