What's new

Cubase 9 - possible to create notes with the Logical Editor?

Nils Neumann

I want to manage all my articulations with (the same) Keyswitches.
But I don't like to scroll all the way down to C0 every time I want to switch a articulation.

Is it possible to create a Logical Editor preset that creates a note at C0, a 16th long, at courser position? Or its this just a dream of me?^^

Yep, I've done this for UACC controls. You'll have to select the note that you want to put the keyswitch on, then create a logical preset that transforms that note to a fixed pitch. C0, for instance. Make sure the logical editor is in insert mode and you should be all set.

Is it possible to create a Logical Editor preset that creates a note at C0, a 16th long, at courser position? Or its this just a dream of me?^^

The Expression Maps is the best method which does not cause further problems (see the BTW below).

Here is the alternative way you are asking for:

1. Logical Editor Preset details.

Conditions:

Type is; Equal; Note;

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Operations:

Value1; Set to Fixed value; C0;
Length; Set to Fixed value; 0.00.01.000 PPQ (sixteen note)
Position; Subtract; 0.00.00.050 PPQ

Function: Insert

Note: Cubase sends the Note events (if several notes/chord are placed to the same position) using a top to bottom Note pitch order. Meaning that if you create a C0 when you select D3 for example then C0 will be sent after D3 which will not switch the Articulation. I have added the third condition (Position) to subtract the Note time a little bit.

2. Quick Key Command.

Store the Logical Editor preset as "Insert KS C0" for example.
Go to the Cubase Key Commands and search for "Insert KS". The search wizard will find and select the "Insert KS C0" preset. Assign a user/custom Key Command.

3. Operation. Select a Note you want to change the articulation and press the quick key command. A sixteen note C0 will be inserted.

BTW: The real Note Events KS cause the following issues:
- The Articulations do not chase when you move back & forth throughout the project.
- The KS are printed in the score.
- The KS are destroyed when you transpose the region or the track.

Last edited:
The Expression Maps is the best method which does not cause further problems (see the BTW below).

Conditions:

Type is; Equal; Note;

Operations:

Note: Cubase sends the Note events (if several notes/chord are placed to the same position) using a top to bottom Note pitch order. Meaning that if you create a C0 when you select D3 for example then C0 will be sent after D3 which will not switch the Articulation. I have added the third condition (Position) to subtract the Note time a little bit.

2. Quick Key Command.

Go to the Cubase Key Commands and search for "Insert KS". The search wizard will find and select the "Insert KS C0" preset. Assign a user/custom Key Command.

3. Operation. Select a Note you want to change the articulation and press the quick key command. A sixteen note C0 will be inserted.

- The Articulations do not chase when you move back & forth throughout the project.

Thank you so much for this in-depth answer and your time!
Still seeing much more potential in a KS/Shortcut based approach.

When I copy a track from violin to horns with a stac+sustain based phrase, would the Expression Map handle this?

When I copy a track from violin to horns with a stac+sustain based phrase, would the Expression Map handle this?

That should work. If you want to use a common/shared Map (you use for the Violin which main articulation is switched via C0), then you can load that Map into the horns track (if the horns articulations start from C0).
I'm not familiar with your Instruments, but drawing/inserting a real KS Note C0 is similar if you program a Map with a Sound Slot set to Key Switch C0.

Conditions:

Type is; Equal; Note;

Operations:

2. Quick Key Command.

Thank you super duper much! That really helped me a lot. But I would like to ask an additional question. In the library I use, there is a possiblity called multiple keyswitches. So Is it possible to do exacly same thing for C-0 and C# ? When I run the logical editor preset it puts me these 2 notes . Here is the photo

Attachments

• Ekran Alıntısı.PNG
    Ekran Alıntısı.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 21
Thank you super duper much! That really helped me a lot. But I would like to ask an additional question. In the library I use, there is a possiblity called multiple keyswitches. So Is it possible to do exacly same thing for C-0 and C# ? When I run the logical editor preset it puts me these 2 notes . Here is the photo
The topic is about Cubase note creation using the Logic editor indeed. However I wound recommend the Expression maps for instruments articulation switching. It is very easy to add several KS to control the articulations in the advanced instruments.

I think you can add 3 lines in the "Operations" (see my Logical Editor preset example in this topic) for the 2nd KS.

The topic is about Cubase note creation using the Logic editor indeed. However I wound recommend the Expression maps for instruments articulation switching. It is very easy to add several KS to control the articulations in the advanced instruments.

I think you can add 3 lines in the "Operations" (see my Logical Editor preset example in this topic) for the 2nd KS.

Yes, with expression maps, it is the best way as you said. But I'd like to use and learn using the logical editor to add 2 notes simultaneously. To do this i tried this solution but it didn't work for me.I actually want to do this because I assing my midi controller to this logical presets and I just click on notes and press the button and the articulation is over there. So in somehow this way results me really easier.
Here is the solution i tried.

Operations: Value1; Set to Fixed value; C0; Length; Set to Fixed value; 0.00.01.000 PPQ (sixteen note) Position; Subtract; 0.00.00.050 PPQ - - - Here I've added other 3 lines---
Value1; Set to Fixed value; C#0; Length; Set to Fixed value; 0.00.01.000 PPQ (sixteen note) Position; Subtract; 0.00.00.050 PPQ

Where is my mistake here? Now it only adds C#0. It doesn't put C0 and C#0 together.

Best regards,

Where is my mistake here? Now it only adds C#0. It doesn't put C0 and C#0 together.
It seems that the Cubase Logical Editor cannot insert numerous events - in your case it inserts the last event you have set in the Operations.

Try to create numerous Logical presets (linked to different KC).
As I mentioned before, the best way is using Expression maps.

@bluesblues Might a KC on a macro with several Logical presets be a solution for you?

Yes my friend, I resolved the subject preparing the macros with KC and assinigning these macros to the korg nano controller!! They work very well.
Sorry for late reply cuz I didn't receive any mails from the website.

Best Regards,

Top Bottom