1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cubase 9, blasphemous save times.

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by MrLinssi, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    My template is around 600 tracks (disabled), currently have a song that's barely three minutes long (project size 407mb), couple of dozens tracks active. I use instrument tracks (Kontakt, Play 5 and Engine 2). Cleared my audio pool, disabled automatic hitpoint detection, didn't help. I only have eight plugins in the whole template (Valhalla Room, Vintage Comp. and Stereo Delay). My save times take roughly around 30 seconds, yet I see guys here with bigger templates (no VEPro) and their save times are ten times smaller. Any ideas? The waiting is a real workflow killer. :/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

In Logic, hosting all your Kontakt samples etc inside Logic itself also results in much greater save times. You sure about those people in here that don't use VEPro, yet have fast saving? Can't see how save times should be fast if you 2-300 Kontakt patches that need to be stored within the project...

3. lucor

lucor Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Germany
    I noticed that save times can be highly dependend on what Kontakt instruments you have loaded. For example Orchestral Tools and their incredibly badly optimized CAPSULE instruments make my save times explode like crazy. As an example, if you save instruments as track presets, the size of the track preset will be around 0.2-1.0mb at max for almost every library I own. On the other hand, most of the CAPSULE instruments will take up to 12mb, making them almost 50x in size!
    If you have have room left on an SSD, you could make it a habit to save your project there and move it to an HDD once you're finished with the project. It helped me quite a lot to reduce saving times, but they are still so bad in some cases that I'm currently in the process of moving back to a VEPro setup...

4. OP
    OP
    MrLinssi

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    I'm sure, at one point there was much discussion about this particular issue (might have been an earlier version), and there were people with really short save times.

5. OP
    OP
    MrLinssi

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    Have to try that tomorrow, at this point anything helps. Waiting over 30 seconds every ten minutes or so is driving me insane. :mad:

6. oivind_rosvold

oivind_rosvold Senior Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Stjørdal
    I am on a single computer and i had to go with VEpro, or else i would never get any work done. When you are ready to record and autosave kicks inn.. it's enough to drive you mad ^^

Si_Withenshaw likes this.
  7. DMDComposer

DMDComposer Senior Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I'm not sure if you're on 9 or 9.5. But 9.5 does have longer save times then version 9 when doing the disabled kontakts instead of vepro. I learned about this recently from a comment made by Jason Graves in his new youtube tutorials.

8. OP
    OP
    MrLinssi

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    I'm on 9. Funny, I watched that same video. That's why I'm buying the upgrade now and waiting for 10 to arrive...

DMDComposer likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    MrLinssi

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    Yeah...moved my project to an SSD, barely made a difference. Guess I have to get VEPro at some point...

10. JeffvR

JeffvR Senior Member

Dec 4, 2010
    VEPro and Cubase files of 4mb are a better option :). Saves you a lot of drive space as well.

11. OP
    OP
    MrLinssi

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    I think I would've already bought it, but my audio PC isn't dedicated to just audio (gaming, internet, thing like that)+I'm mostly doing music for myself so it seems bit of an overkill...But if I don't find a solution to this "save times from hell"-situation I might just buy it.

12. kunst91

kunst91 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2015
    This is an issue that Steinberg has acknowledged on Cubase 9/9.5. The reason save times aren’t longer with VEP templates is the lag is caused by instances of kontakt loaded in cubase itself. I have a large disabled template as well and experience long save times, although they are more in the 10-12 second realm admittedly.

13. OP
    OP
    MrLinssi

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    Huh, I remembered that it was only on Cubase 9.5. Well, I sure hope things are improved on 10. And while they're at it, a folder system for exp. maps!

14. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Beware the disabled tracks. I spent a fun few hours tracking down a similar problem, also related to project file sizes which had ballooned. Turns out some instruments take up loads of memory, even disabled, and thus greatly impact on save times (infuriating when using auto-save). In my case, I had half a dozen disabled instances of Action Strikes (which I never got round to really using, but I thought if I had them there it might encourage me). Turns out those 6 disabled channels, out of many hundreds, occupied an entire third of my total project size. I kicked 'em out.

So just set aside a bit of time and go through those disabled tracks to see if you have any memory hogs. I sort of use Track Archives more now partly for this very reason, but sadly they're as buggy as hell. Hoping desperately Cubase 10 improves our lot here.

lucor likes this.
  15. kunst91

kunst91 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Ah you’re right they’ve only acknowledged it in 9.5. I admittedly upgraded from 8.5 to 9.5 so I never used 9.

16. Alex Niedt

Alex Niedt Active Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Are Cubase save times normally long, in general? I've been thinking about switching to Cubase from Pro Tools, but Pro Tools saves instantaneously, regardless of session size, and if every save took ten seconds, I think that would drive me crazy.

17. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

Alex, I dont think Cubase is any worse than Logic or other DAWs. Protools dont have as much information to save if you only work with audio files. I think if you hosted as many Kontakt instances inside PT it would be the same with longer save times. Remember, Kontakt saves every single patch with information about each sample, scripts etc. So with 100s of thousands of samples it begins adding up.

18. Alex Niedt

Alex Niedt Active Member

Jun 4, 2018
    I do host Kontakt instances and various others VIs inside PT, and it always saves instantaneously, which is why I asked.

19. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

OK that's interesting. PT must have a different way to save its projects. Maybe all changes to Kontakt are saved when you do the changes, then left untouched when you do a Project save.

20. benatural

benatural Senior Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Lots of instrument tracks will cause crazy save times, there's no way around it. If you want to make saving faster AND you want a template, you need to use VEP even if it's on the same computer.