Cubase 9.5 Not Quitting?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Prockamanisc, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Prockamanisc

Prockamanisc Senior Member

Jul 15, 2015
    New Orleans
    On two separate computers I'm having trouble with Cubase not shutting down all the way. Is anyone else having this issue?

2. stixman

stixman The best is yet to come........

Apr 27, 2014
  3. ChristopherDoucet

ChristopherDoucet Follow on Twitter @DoucetComposer

Jan 3, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UTAH
    Not having shut down issues, but ever since I stalled 9.5, I keep getting the "Memory is Critically Low" and then it shuts down the computer.

I remember this happening years ago, but haven't had it since.

I am not low on RAM at all.

anyone experiencing this?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  4. InLight-Tone

InLight-Tone Senior Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Yes I'm getting occasional delays in shutting down as well. Not every time, but quite a bit. It usually finishes but takes awhile. Windows 10 here...

5. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Same. Win 10 fall update.

6. amordechai

amordechai Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    For me it crashes every time I close it. 9.5 + win 10 fall creators update.

7. OP
    OP
    Prockamanisc

Prockamanisc Senior Member

Jul 15, 2015
    New Orleans
    I'm still running OSX Sierra and it's giving me trouble both starting up and shutting down.

8. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I have Elements 9.5. Had the same issue with 8 AI.

9. danielb

danielb Composer, Guitarist

Dec 25, 2015
    Paris
    The same here, it takes a lot of time to quit, sometimes it's really a pain... Windows 10 and 9.5...
    And I have this problem since cubase 8..(or it may be since I Made a large template...)
    I can see in the task manager that the memory is blocked for cubase... Maybe e will get a fix one day :( :(

10. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

Nuendo has been fine for me on W10 Pro but I know someone who's always had Nuendo crash on closing with W10 after an update. Only difference between our systems is he's not on Pro.

11. agarner32

agarner32 Active Member

Nov 7, 2015
    California
    I always have to force quit on OSX if Cubase has been open for awhile. It’s been like this since version 8.5 and I’m on 9.5.

12. DynamicK

DynamicK Senior Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Gloucestershire
    Still using 7.5 and the same issue. I only get it on 6.5.5 occasionally. What I do now which seems to help, is not to close Cubase from the program (The red cross in the window, or the menu), but to open Task Manager and do it from there. Seems to give me a better chance of avoiding the AppHang Error that is a built in feature of Cubase :rolleyes:

13. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    I've had Cubase shutdown issues from day one. All and any versions I ever used.

robert baldwin and Jetzer like this.
  14. danielb

Dec 25, 2015
    Paris
    is this something steinberg is aware of ? I never opened a ticket for that.. thinking it's some third party plug-in related and not exactly steinberg's fault... but does other DAWS have this issue ???

15. Carles

Carles Senior Member

I always had shutdown problems, getting worse since v8.
    However this thread is mostly useless. Just google the issue (this and many other never fixed) and you'll find old entries about. They don't care.

Fixing issues don't justify getting our money every half a version but "flashing features" only so they won't fix anything functional unless is affecting 100% of the users it seems. Threads like this just will get buried in time as so many other, including those in their own forum.

Not only well known issues are not fixed, also requested improvements like a less jurassic expression map editor are systematically ignored as these won't sound bombastic enough as per taking your money.
    Not to mention the absolutely surrealistic way the GUI beehives, I love specially the random control key related fun (often beehives as pressed when is not) but my all favorite is the included game "find the active window" (a variant of "Find Willy" game) where as soon as you minimize Cubase to check your mail or whatever, when you're back you can find all sort of windows from other programs running inside Cubase and no matter what you touch it is never the active one :) You can get that even when just starting Cubase before loading any project and I'd say is affecting the behavior of other running programs too so that's granted fun :) All of these, in any version, on different computers, different OS and different graphic cards.
    Just to add other hidden gems like when sometimes your CC data gets flattened down with no chance to undo, render in place feature crashes more than not, of course the shutting down issues, etc.
    The sum all those small things makes me feel that I'm not using a professional tool at all, what can I say.

I'm periodically checking for alternatives lo leave the Steinberg train and their customer careless. Luckily, more and more third part guys and developers are implementing "expression maps" (actually even better ways to assign articulations) and getting close (and even new interesting approaches arising) to Cubase MIDI editing implementation, that's the main reasons for me to stick on Steinberg currently.
    I'm out as soon as I'll find a stable DAW (stability is a must to me), comfortable to use and with nice MIDI editing/articulations manager.

DaddyO and danielb like this.
  16. danielb

Dec 25, 2015
    Paris
    Yes I'm also sometimes really fed up with those problems and still hoping next release will fix them... it's just so a pain to loose time to learn a new software for that :( :(

17. DaddyO

DaddyO Senior Member

Carles, are you willing to elaborate on that with a couple of examples? I'm curious what you consider promising in the areas of articulation management and MIDI editing.

18. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I just bought a brand new Windows 10 computer running Cubase 9.5. When I shut down Cubase the top menu bar sticks around. It has the "X" in the top right corner so I click on that. It does go away after a bit. I've used Cubase since version 4 and have only recently experienced this issue. Hope they fix it.

19. LFO

LFO Active Member

Jul 8, 2009
    So odd....I used to have the problem until Cubase 9.0 came out and it went away. I'm running 9.5 now and no issue (knocking on wood!) and I run on Windows 7 Professional. FWIW...

20. jonathanwright

jonathanwright Senior Member

Jul 7, 2011
    London
    Aaah, Cubase.

Won’t quit when you want it to, yet spontaneously quits when you’re at a vital point in your project.