What's new

Cubase 9.5 Bug

Indeed. Raised it with Steinberg, it is a bug in 9.5. (try mixing with it!)

Ahah. Happened to me last week end with a band.

Band : That snare is a bit loud during the verse, could you lower it down ?
Me : Sure ! *opens mix console*
Band : .... No, not the vocals, the snare !

It's a total joke, really. I love working with Cubase but this kind of thing should not get passed basic QA or Alpha. It's not like it's free software!

It can also happen that you add or bypass a plug-in thinking it's on one channel, because that's what you're seeing on screen, only to find it's been put on another channel (as the mixer screen was not redrawn).

Watch out for the gotcha on using Direct Offline Processing too. If you have plug-ins on your Stereo Out channel and you audition the changes when using direct offline processing, Cubase will disabled plug-ins on the Stereo Out channel. But it doesn't track the state of plugins correctly, so if some plug-ins were bypassed, after you've finished your direct offline processing, you will find some plug-ins are on when they should be bypassed and vice versa. That can end up turning a project into a complete mess, especially as it screws up the mixer history.

I think it would be better for Cubase to have another stereo output channel dedicated for direct offline processing, and route it to that, rather than routing it to the default stereo out and over-complicating things.

Don’t worry, Steinberg won’t fix this issue. I’ve learned they completely ignore “broken” features used by the minority and only fix things used by their hobbyist users. They’re so busy trying to make Cubase more “flashy” that they’ve given up on stability. There’s functions they literally broke back in Cubase 6 thru 7.5 which they still have not addressed. There must have been - what - dozens and dozens of updates since then? I’ve posted on Steinberg’s forum, this forum, called and emailed tech support, spoken to them at NAMM(!), and they continue to ignore the problems. So expect a shiny-new Cubase 10 later this year with the same bugs you’re experiencing now except with more added because of all the new “junk” they’re going to implement into v10.

For some reason I can't play the youtube video.....Real curious to see this since I mix on 9.5 and dont' recall having a GUI issue with the mixer.

Got to see it.
frozen meters? That has never happened to me, Cubase Mac Sierra or Nuendo PC Windows 10.....
This happen often to others?
rsp

It is with disappointment that I have to agree. I raised problems I had in v7, 7.5 and 8.5 that are still not resolved. Many of these are reproducible bugs.

For some reason I can't play the youtube video.....Real curious to see this since I mix on 9.5 and dont' recall having a GUI issue with the mixer.

Got to see it.
frozen meters? That has never happened to me, Cubase Mac Sierra or Nuendo PC Windows 10.....
This happen often to others?
rsp
No idea why you can't play it, sorry. The url is:

I eventually did get to see it... but that hasn't happened to me...

what's your system specs?
sorry
rsp

It's a reproducible bug, Steinberg have been able to reproduce it their end

I eventually did get to see it... but that hasn't happened to me...

what's your system specs?
sorry
rsp
PC1: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i7-6800K @ 4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, NVidia 1050ti
PC2: Intel i7 4770 (Haswell) @ 3.6GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 64-bit

...can recreate on any Windows system

It's a reproducible bug, Steinberg have been able to reproduce it their end
Where is a link or documentation that Steinberg confirmed it is a bug?
PC1: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i7-6800K @ 4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, NVidia 1050ti
PC2: Intel i7 4770 (Haswell) @ 3.6GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 64-bit

...can recreate on any Windows system

I can't recreate it. But I could be overlooking something. It's difficult to see your plug-ins without posting a .gif as I think you just pointed a camera at the screen? Do you have a step-by-step repro? Or is the problem simply that certain mixer tracks freeze when you start playing a project from the project page?

Where is a link or documentation that Steinberg confirmed it is a bug?

I can't recreate it. But I could be overlooking something. It's difficult to see your plug-ins without posting a .gif as I think you just pointed a camera at the screen? Do you have a step-by-step repro? Or is the problem simply that certain mixer tracks freeze when you start playing a project from the project page?
I'll do a step-by-step when I get chance. It relates to the screen redraws in the code, which were significantly reduced in 9.5. It does show its head in the project window, but that it harder to reproduce that one. The mixer window one is easier to reproduce. Steinberg went through an exhaustive diagnosis procedure before they opened a case that goes back to the programmers. It's not plug-in related, as we tried this with a clean install with only Cubase stock plug-ins. Steinberg have that project now, too, in order to rule out any inconsistencies with projects.

I'll do a step-by-step when I get chance. It relates to the screen redraws in the code, which were significantly reduced in 9.5. It does show its head in the project window, but that it harder to reproduce that one. The mixer window one is easier to reproduce. Steinberg went through an exhaustive diagnosis procedure before they opened a case that goes back to the programmers. It's not plug-in related, as we tried this with a clean install with only Cubase stock plug-ins. Steinberg have that project now, too, in order to rule out any inconsistencies with projects.

Be interesting to try re-create it. Never had an issue with meters.

Hey mate! I've just started running into the exact same issue in Cubase 9.5. Never seen it before and been using Cubase for many years.

Any update on this? You reckon it may be fixed on the next update?

Hi, would you be able to raise a Steinberg technical support request on this, too? The more technical data they can get will help in getting the bug fixed. If you do, please could you mark it for the attention of Fabio Bartolini and Ed Doll. Thanks.

Top Bottom