What's new

Cubase 10

I may have been unclear - I meant that you can try to import the tracks into a black C10 project using File/Import/Tracks From Project to either recover the project or isolate a problem plugin.

Good idea Results:

Importing all the tracks: Crash
Importing all Kontakt tracks: Crash
Importing Repro5 tracks (2): Crash
Importing one Kontakt track: Crash

No options left on this route I guess.

I did open the project while another project was loaded and did make it active: Crash
I did open the project while another project was loaded and did NOT make it active: MIDI DATA loaded, mix and channel settings and mastering plus all instruments loaded gone. Making the project active causes Cubase to crash.
AT least I could export the midi, rest (50% work ) is gone however

Wow, horrifying - that's a seriously corrupted project. If I were you I'd put in a support case and send them the .cpr, the fear of this happening again is pretty overwhelming. The fact even the .baks are corrupted is particularly horrendous.

This is horrifying. I haven't seen this myself but making me wonder if when this next feature starts in 3-4 weeks I should stay in 9.5 for that? I do like many of the workflow features but stability is the MOST important thing when hair is on fire. :) 9.5 for me (W7) is just SO stable - perhaps the best of I have seen!

Sounds like that particular project file simply got corrupted somehow. I've had that happen to me with Studio One on occasion. Cubase makes many .bak files, did you not have one?

Not an expert here with Cubase crashes. But in the past when I've had issues with Cubase crashing, I've started by moving the entire preferences folder (on OS X). If it starts up after rebuilding it's preferences files, then I move the prior Preferences file back and selectively remove files until I find the issue. May not be applicable here, but it's helped me in the past. Very curious to see what you find as I'm now using Cubase 10, as well.

Not an expert here with Cubase crashes. But in the past when I've had issues with Cubase crashing, I've started by moving the entire preferences folder (on OS X). If it starts up after rebuilding it's preferences files, then I move the prior Preferences file back and selectively remove files until I find the issue. May not be applicable here, but it's helped me in the past. Very curious to see what you find as I'm now using Cubase 10, as well.
I did remove the Cubase 10 preference files and the issue did not go away

A word of WARNING as of Nov, 18th 2018. I did work on a new track in Cubase 10, saved it and can not open the track again without cubase crashing loading the track. Cubase 10 loads normally when I open an empty project.
I'm having exactly the same problem here, I wrote a song in Cubase 10 yesterday, now I cannot open it without Cubase crashing, every time. I'm thinking it maybe a Komplete Kontrol issue but not 100%. I'm on Mac, High Sierra.

Last edited:
While im thinking about it, last ditch resort (depending on how much you trust people on the internet) would be to zip the project and send it some one, get them to open the .cpr and save a new version and send it back to you.

I'm having exactly the same problem here, I wrote a song in Cubase 10 yesterday, now I cannot open it without Cubase crashing, every time. I'm thinking it maybe a Komplete Kontrol issue but not 100%. I'm on Mac, High Sierra.
I would recommend to not use Komplete Kontrol instrument rack at all. It's Kontakt wrapped in KK, I had some projects lost/corrupted because of that in Live 10.

I tried removing the Project files & track color thing too but still nothing. I've reported it to Steinberg.
Pretty disappointed, I was loving Cubase 10, didn't have a single problem until I closed the project.

If you suspect a certain instrument is causing the problem, you can try:
1. Open an empty project
2. Open the corrupted project, but DON'T activate it
3. Select the suspicious tracks, remove them
4. Activate the project. If it loads normally, then your guess is right

I did remove the Cubase 10 preference files and the issue did not go away

Start in Cubase safe mode.
Did you hide or temporarily change your prior Cubase 9.5, 9, 8.5 etc preference folders, then install C10? This way it's not possible for C10 to rely on any prior preferences. Once all the old preference folders are hiden or changed, then trash your C10 preferences, and then let C10 re-build.

" Results:
Importing all the tracks: Crash
Importing all Kontakt tracks: Crash
Importing Repro5 tracks (2): Crash
Importing one Kontakt track: Crash

No options left on this route I guess."

What about importing via export/import, just 1 midi track instead of all of them at the same time? If no crash then open another one....

Good luck. When it's resolved please post the problem and solution.

Top Bottom