What's new

Cubase 10

• The problem with Track preset is that Media Bay totally sucks (slow and bloated)...finding them is a nightmare.

There's also a slight annoying delay when scrolling through presets as CB tries to play it even though audition is turned off...hopefully they got rid of this bug in v10.

Best track preset workflow is by far PT. Its database is lightning fast and simple yet very powerful. Studio One is pretty good also.

Agree! Let me know if you turn this into an official feature request as I'd for sure support making the Media Bay faster. edit: made my own which you can support here https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=147355&p=792420#p792420

• As it stands now, it takes my cubase a good 10min before I can even see any vst presets or media bay data when I open a project. For some reason it always has to rescan every time I open a project. Why?! I've asked support for help and they of course could not explain why this was happening and I eventually gave up. I now make it so Cubase autoloads a project on startup and let it set for 10min before I open a project in progress just so its done scanning and I can get to work.

I wonder if this has been fixed in C10 - but I'm one who will not buy anything on day one and will wait for the demo to make sure everything works fine in my studio before paying to upgrade. Had a friend who bought cubase 9 on day one, and couldn't use it for 3+ months due to graphics issues and sluggishness.

Last edited:
I got the 40% off upgrades in the summer sale and didn't activate them, so its quite the bargain. But I feel that any remaining energy left on my part after ranting about Donald Trump and Brexit should now be firmly directed at Steinberg to fix these sodding Track Archive / Disabled Multichannel bugs. The piss has been taken for quite long enough.

(PS Anhtu - strongly agree re Pro Tools' superb Track Preset implementation)

When you do, PLEASE make it known here so we can also support you. I know I have done so in the past on this issue and would like to continue to do so; as long as you support my requests, lol

Multi-Freeze https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=147290&p=792156#p792156

Mix console snapshots and automation: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=147354

Media Bay speed: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=147355&p=792420#p792420

Last edited:

• Agree! Let me know if you turn this into an official feature request as I'd for sure support making the Media Bay faster. As it stands now, it takes my cubase a good 10min before I can even see any vst presets or media bay data when I open a project. For some reason it always has to rescan every time I open a project. Why?! I've asked support for help and they of course could not explain why this was happening and I eventually gave up. I now make it so Cubase autoloads a project on startup and let it set for 10min before I open a project in progress just so its done scanning and I can get to work.

I wonder if this has been fixed in C10 - but I'm one who will not buy anything on day one and will wait for the demo to make sure everything works fine in my studio before paying to upgrade. Had a friend who bought cubase 9 on day one, and couldn't use it for 3+ months due to graphics issues and sluggishness.

Sadly it hasn't been fixed.

My Media Bay still sits there scanning for an age before finally displaying the presets.

Just had a quick 10 minuet tinker.

First thoughts:

• Love the features taken from Nuendo!
  • New Colour Pallet, finally one that doesn't require infinite scrolling!
  • Plugin & Instrument channel picture snapshot is cool.
  • Redesign is much better, shame about the default colour pallet. But hey, you can change that...
  • Snapshot's are handy, shame that it doesn't also remember automation. If "New Track Version" could applied to automation lanes that'd be cool.
  • Drag and Drop functionality is a baby step in the right direction. It's a shame you cant select a bunch of channels, then drag and drop a reverb (or something) to create a BUS which the selected channels automatically get routed to. Unless I'm missing something?
  • Media Bay still needs a lot of work...
  • Don't really care about Bezi curves in MIDI editor. However, the tools seem to draw much smoother looking curves.
  • Appears to be running better in general, CPU seems to be less in projects. Need to test that further though...

Last edited:
  • As it stands now, it takes my cubase a good 10min before I can even see any vst presets or media bay data when I open a project. For some reason it always has to rescan every time I open a project. Why?! I've asked support for help and they of course could not explain why this was happening and I eventually gave up. I now make it so Cubase autoloads a project on startup and let it set for 10min before I open a project in progress just so its done scanning and I can get to work.

Did you put all Steinberg folders and VST folders in the list of excluded folders in your anti-virus program?

Any why doesn't Cubase's Direct offline processing (introduced in either 9 or 9.5) work for you? Its non-destructive, can turn on and off individual plugins in the chains, with C10 you can load entire channel strip presets, and its all done offline so you dont use CPU resources. Pretty awesome IMO.
I need to be able to instantly open the plugins and edit them while playing. No undo, find a different setting, render etc. I need it to behave the same way as normal plugins work except only for a certain clip essentially as if you automated the bypass.

Adding Kontakt 6 as an instrument and loading Cubase 9 project files crashes my Cubase 10 on windows. Sometimes even double clicking the tracklist area crashes Cubase 10. Kontakt 5 works okay for me though.

I have had a few little crashes, using midi files in the chord pads, and loading some Halion presets. One with Kontakt. Still can’t get the sections to work with chord pads. Glad I’m not a pro, having to rely on it! It’ll be patch time soon, I guess....

Ok had more chance to play with it now. On the whole, it's a pretty good update, worth it in my opinion and there's some really welcomed refreshments and new features that I love. However I'm going to focus purely on the negatives. Which TBH, not many.

ADD TRACK:
  • Does not allow new tracks to be sent to an FX channel. It only sends the direct output. Which is fine if you want to create 4 audio channels (or what ever) to be sent to a group, but if you want to create sends for those channels too, you can't do so from this window. I just use Macros, but I can see this being slightly annoying for some people.
  • Lets say you want to record 5 microphones on different inputs. You'd have to create 1 channel each time and select the input. Be much easier if you had a check box to let you choose what input each channel is using.
DRAG 'N' DROP:

• Can't select bunch of channels then drag and drop a group or FX channel to automatically rout them. This would be ace. For now, still much quicker to use a Macro function.
TRACK PRESETS:
  • Still don't remember group tracks or FX channels if you decided to save x-amount Violins + their Groups and FX. Only way around this, use a custom macro. Then save and recall the individual channel input chain for the group or FX and load it. Not exactly a ball-ache, but it is if you're not particularly organised with saving your own presets or using Macros.
  • Quick Controls do get saved and recalled. However, if you're using 1 instrument with multiple outputs set-up. You will not be able to assign quick controls to EACH individual output. You only get 1 quick control on the master instrument channel. However you can rout any plugins to this from the outputs, but you are limited with the number of slot controls.
  • When selecting any track preset, there's no way to turn off the pre-load preview. Still annoying when working with sample library track presets.
EXPRESSION MAPS

• Was hoping for improvement on this. Still none. Would be much better if they added MIDI input selection to create the switches, instead of typing out values.
MIXER

• Like the new buttons for bypassing sections of the mixer. The only thing I don't like is you have to click and hold for them to activate.
  • Snap Shot doesn't include automation.
MEDIA BAY

• Still needs a complete re-work to make it more functional and user friendly. The performance is still just "OK".

I STILL use 8.5 when I need to 'replace audio in video file' - I am currently working in 9.5.x. I have heard that those that have upgraded to 10 get crashes when trying to open 8.5. :( (but I believe these have been mac users.) Can someone on W7 check whether these crashes happen in windows? I would be VERY grateful. I want to upgrade but not being able to do this brief function in 8.5 is a deal breaker for me.
(btw - their logs say it is rooted in the 'groove agent' update in 10 - seemingly not compatible in when open in 8.5.)
Thanks again in advance.
Rob

Just noticed that the new HiDPI ONLY works on W10 (assuming NO on W7). One more 'no go' reason for me. At least until I replace that Daw machine with W10.

I STILL use 8.5 when I need to 'replace audio in video file'
Rob

This is called "multiplexing". Simply integrating a compatible video/audio streams into a single shell file (mov/mp4/etc...)

You don't need a DAW of any sort to do it. Take an evening to download and research the command line tool "ffmpeg". It's an incredible free swiss-army-knife media tool that has got me out of more video compatibility scrapes than I care to remember.

In this case, a short batch command "ffmpeg -i video.mov -i audio.wav -map 0:v -map 1:a -c copy -shortest muxed.mov" does the job you need in a few seconds.

Give it a try!

best,
Chris

• For some reason it always has to rescan every time I open a project. Why?! I've asked support for help and they of course could not explain why this was happening and I eventually gave up.

The auto-re-scan is an issue I have been addressing for a long time. They changed this behavior a few versions back, yet no one has given an answer other than other beta testers thinking simplifying/dumbing down for the masses which I don't buy. As a Cubase beta tester, I'm still pursuing the issue. At the very least give an option to turn off auto scan when Cubase opens. They know about it. At one point last year I thought the change might be because of impending media bay improvements, but I'm wrong.

For myself, auto-scan isn't that big of an issue. But what you may or may not realize is that with the auto-scan change, everything in your user folder becomes checked...even if you purposely left the media bay folders unchecked! This results in very bad behavior if you happen to organize then open presets that you don't want to see for particular projects.

I'm on v8.0. I know it's not 8.5 but I think they're close, and on Win7. I just opened a few projects after the upgade this morning with no issues so far. Hopefully there won't be any.
Good to know. Just discovered ONE big issue (from steiny issues site). THe new HiDPI is ONLY compatible with W10. Are you seeing the benefits on W7?

Top Bottom