What's new

Cubase 10, what a great workflow

Media bay is scanning each time you open? Oh that would be a nightmare for me - my initial scan usually takes 20 or so minutes (I'm on nuendo, so its an older code base) but it only ever does it once when I tell it to. That seems extremely odd, and worth reporting.

I have, but it's 'by design' apparently. Quite how that could be I don't know.

From what I can see, it's going through and scanning everything it sees on my system, even presets from Logic and other plugins. When I deselect folders to ignore it just selects them again on startup. It also doesn't appear to be 'ignoring unknown file types'.

I sent another support message in just after C10 was released. No reply yet though. This began on my system with C9, no amount of preference trashing or fresh installing has changed it.

I wrote a ticket to Steinberg three weeks ago or something, asking if they could at least provide an installer for the initial Cubase 10.0 version (which they're not offering anywhere on the website or the Steinberg installer, doh!), where the bug still wasn't present. It's still open, never heard anything from them. Way to go Bloopberg!

Are you on Windows or Mac? If you are on Windows you can roll back to a previous version of a program, so if Cubase 10.0.10 still installed in your system you can try this:

Go to start and type appwiz.cpl. This will open the Programs and Features window. Select view installed updates and on the list select Cubase 10.0.10 Update. Right click, uninstall. This should revert to the previous version you had installed in your system, so if you had 10.0.5 before 10.0.10 it should work.

And yes, Expression Maps have been messed up in 10.0.10, I hope they will fix it in the next update. Other than that Cubase 10 is the most stable version I have used in years, not a single crash yet.

It’s crashing every time I hit record. Slightly annoying.
What’s the deal with the expression maps?
I use them on almost every track. Could they be causing the crashes?

Go to start and type appwiz.cpl. This will open the Programs and Features window. Select view installed updates and on the list select Cubase 10.0.10 Update. Right click, uninstall. This should revert to the previous version you had installed in your system, so if you had 10.0.5 before 10.0.10 it should work.

That's a great tip, thanks for that! However, amazingly Cubase 10 isn't listed here at all. But I could roll back my Cubase 9.5, haha ...

That's a great tip, thanks for that! However, amazingly Cubase 10 isn't listed here at all. But I could roll back my Cubase 9.5, haha ...

Oh, that's strange, I have both on that list: Cubase 9.5.41 Update and Cubase 10.0.10 Update. Did you install the update to 10.0.10 from 10.0.5? If you did a full install of 10.0.10 this option will not work. I hope Steinberg support will get back to you quickly and you can download 10.0 again.

Any large template users here? Is Cubase 10 more responsive when you are working with thousands of midi tracks and Vienna Ensemble Pro?

One little niggle I wish Steinberg would address is needing to switch between the cursor and range tools in automation lanes (for example, range select and drag down to trim that area, but then switch to cursor to move the points to create a ramp). Logic and PT have a single smart tool so you don't have switch around.

Also not being able to move tracks around in the mixer and not being able to move warp markers from the arrange window are annoyances.

I have, but it's 'by design' apparently. Quite how that could be I don't know.

From what I can see, it's going through and scanning everything it sees on my system, even presets from Logic and other plugins. When I deselect folders to ignore it just selects them again on startup. It also doesn't appear to be 'ignoring unknown file types'.

I sent another support message in just after C10 was released. No reply yet though. This began on my system with C9, no amount of preference trashing or fresh installing has changed it.

The issue goes back further than C9. I honestly don't know, but there are a few topics in the Cubase forum about Media Bay re-scan. Some report it starting with C8.

The "it's by design" I also read from a Cubase moderator, but when I questioned him, he became silent. I'm not buying the "it's by design" comment, and Joerg, one of the Steinberg Media Bay guys who supposedly can change this has agreed.

In conjunction with the Auto-Rescan is the fact that anything in your user folder gets automatically re-checked upon starting Cubase, even if you have purposely left the boxes unchecked. This is bad behavior from a preset organizational standpoint, and ruins the fast loading of presets in individual projects.

They do know about it. Something has to give hopefully soon.

Anyone using v10 with VEP and slaves successfully?

I'm having some strange random real-time peaks and dropouts by record enabling and playback VEP instrument track connected to a slave. Lost days troubleshooting to finally go back to 9.5 as there are no such issues with it.

Any large template users here? Is Cubase 10 more responsive when you are working with thousands of midi tracks and Vienna Ensemble Pro?

Definitely more responsive than 9.5 when using the VST3 plugin. Loads instantly now. On 9.5, I had to revert to the VST2 one.

Anyone using v10 with VEP and slaves successfully?

I'm having some strange random real-time peaks and dropouts by record enabling and playback VEP instrument track connected to a slave. Lost days troubleshooting to finally go back to 9.5 as there are no such issues with it.

Same here before I broke down my studio for a move. Building back up again now and was hoping it’d be fixed but seems I’m not the only one then.

Same here before I broke down my studio for a move. Building back up again now and was hoping it’d be fixed but seems I’m not the only one then.
Here, loading the same library in VEP locally on the master pc doesn't introduce any problems with v10, only via network, streaming from a slave. Tried with two different slaves and having issues with both. Is it same with you?

Definitely more responsive than 9.5 when using the VST3 plugin. Loads instantly now. On 9.5, I had to revert to the VST2 one.

Could you please elaborate? How many MIDI ports and audio outputs you have set per instance? How long did it take to load the VST3 plugin on 9.5?

I'm having this exact issue where it takes at least 13 seconds to load 48 ports and 300 audio outputs per instance. And I have 13 instances spread across my slaves...

If C10 can really lower those numbers that's huge for me. Thanks for your response and good news.

Could you please elaborate? How many MIDI ports and audio outputs you have set per instance? How long did it take to load the VST3 plugin on 9.5?

I'm having this exact issue where it takes at least 13 seconds to load 48 ports and 300 audio outputs per instance. And I have 13 instances spread across my slaves...

If C10 can really lower those numbers that's huge for me. Thanks for your response and good news.

48 ports too, not that many audio outputs as I use Expression Maps and so 1 port = 1 instrument patch. I have about 40 instances (10 local, 30 on slave). On 9.5, with VST3, I could go make a coffee and have a cigarette outside, come back and it was nearly loaded. On 10, when the Nespresso is warm and before coffee starts pouring, my template is loaded. That's my best measure of time...

Here, loading the same library in VEP locally on the master pc doesn't introduce any problems with v10, only via network, streaming from a slave. Tried with two different slaves and having issues with both. Is it same with you?

Yep, same. Was working all ok on 9.5. Now big CPU spikes in C10.
Hopefully an update takes care of that, for the moment back to 9.5

Just asking - has anyone using VE Pro on slave machines started an Issues thread over at the Steinberg forum? I'm using it only as a single machine, and no issues there so I won't be able to replicate. It's a strange problem that only affects connections via Ethernet... logically you'd think that was specific to VSL rather than Steinberg, but I get that this didn't happen in 9.5 so must be something at Steinberg's end.

Just asking - has anyone using VE Pro on slave machines started an Issues thread over at the Steinberg forum? I'm using it only as a single machine, and no issues there so I won't be able to replicate. It's a strange problem that only affects connections via Ethernet... logically you'd think that was specific to VSL rather than Steinberg, but I get that this didn't happen in 9.5 so must be something at Steinberg's end.
Strange indeed.

I haven't made any thread regarding this. Why? Do you think we should?

Anyone up for it? Maybe someone more influencing, respectful, with more posts under the belt? I made a few threads there that ended up dead with no pulse whatsoever! :2thumbs:

Yes, absolutely make one in the Issues subforum shomynik. I'm on the beta team, if there's an Issues thread I can then wave that at people who might be able to escalate it.

Top Bottom