What's new

Cubase 10 - videoslave setup stumped!!

iMovieShout

(aka jpb007.uk) I have a dream 🎬
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping there is someone here that has successfully setup VideoSlave with Cubase10 or Nuendo 10.

Having spent a couple of days trying to sort out why videos freeze in Cubase, I've now decided to follow a number of recommendations to use VideoHive to display videos in-sync with Cubase cues.

However, I've now wasted another day trying to figure out how on earth to get VideoHive to follow an MTC / MMC sync from my Cubase workstation.
I've VideoSlave installed on a MacBook Pro which is linked to the network via WiFi (same network that my Cubase workstation (Windows 10) sits on).
I have followed the vague instructions provided by VideoSlave as best I can, but to no avail.

So, before I ask for my money back from Video Hive, I thought I'd try my luck here.

I have no experience in setting up MTC / MMC thingies on Windows so its all very alien.

Is there a step by step 'How To' guide on YouTube? I've Googled but can't find anything that helps.

Many thanks in advance,
Jon

Last edited:
Jon,

I can't find any reference online to the video player you're using. All I can find online regarding VideoHive is the stock footage/music site. Do you have a link to the specific player/software you're using? I'm guessing it's something produced by them, but can't find it in their vast marketplace.

many thanks,
Chris

Jon,

I can't find any reference online to the video player you're using. All I can find online regarding VideoHive is the stock footage/music site. Do you have a link to the specific player/software you're using? I'm guessing it's something produced by them, but can't find it in their vast marketplace.

many thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris,

Apologies, its been a long day and I’ve confused VideoSlave for VideoHive. Oops 😂.

I use VideoSlave on a Mac Mini slaved to a Mac Pro using network MIDI - but both of my machines are Macs, and use CoreMIDI's built-in network MIDI capabilities. I have my doubts that these capabilities are cross-platform - I believe it's an Apple-to-Apple thing, not a universal thing that would work in a Windows-to-Apple configuration.

One simple solution is to use a hardware MIDI interface on each computer, and connect between the two with a good old 5-pin MIDI cable. This would eliminate any issues relating to the Windows-to-Apple situation. Even though I'm using all Macs, I did it this way for years, sending 5-pin MIDI from the Unitor interface on my DAW to a $79 MOTU MIDI interface on the VideoSlave machine. No issues.

When selecting a hardware MIDI interface for the VideoSlave Mac, be aware that some users have reported issues with the el-cheapo "cable style" MIDI interfaces - the ones that have a USB connector on one end and a "y-cable" that goes to 5-pin MIDI in/out jacks on the other. Some of these (Roland UM-1 mk2) seem to work, but I've read posts over the years where users of the $19 garden variety versions have issues where the tiny data buffer inside the cheap units gets overwhelmed with SysEx or MTC / MMC data. So if you're going for that type of interface for your VideoSlave Mac, choose a well-known brand like Roland, Yamaha, etc - and do a quick Google for any problems using them with MTC / MMC.

I really think that your problem is that you're trying to use the Apple-only network MIDI feature in a cross-platform scenario. A hardware MIDI interface on both your DAW and the VideoSlave Mac would avoid this problem.

I use VideoSlave on a Mac Mini slaved to a Mac Pro using network MIDI - but both of my machines are Macs, and use CoreMIDI's built-in network MIDI capabilities. I have my doubts that these capabilities are cross-platform - I believe it's an Apple-to-Apple thing, not a universal thing that would work in a Windows-to-Apple configuration.

One simple solution is to use a hardware MIDI interface on each computer, and connect between the two with a good old 5-pin MIDI cable. This would eliminate any issues relating to the Windows-to-Apple situation. Even though I'm using all Macs, I did it this way for years, sending 5-pin MIDI from the Unitor interface on my DAW to a $79 MOTU MIDI interface on the VideoSlave machine. No issues.

When selecting a hardware MIDI interface for the VideoSlave Mac, be aware that some users have reported issues with the el-cheapo "cable style" MIDI interfaces - the ones that have a USB connector on one end and a "y-cable" that goes to 5-pin MIDI in/out jacks on the other. Some of these (Roland UM-1 mk2) seem to work, but I've read posts over the years where users of the $19 garden variety versions have issues where the tiny data buffer inside the cheap units gets overwhelmed with SysEx or MTC / MMC data. So if you're going for that type of interface for your VideoSlave Mac, choose a well-known brand like Roland, Yamaha, etc - and do a quick Google for any problems using them with MTC / MMC.

I really think that your problem is that you're trying to use the Apple-only network MIDI feature in a cross-platform scenario. A hardware MIDI interface on both your DAW and the VideoSlave Mac would avoid this problem.
Thanks for the info and ideas on connectivity.
I've ordered a iConnectivity midi mio2 which can connect 2 computers as wells as having MIDI connectivity for 2 MIDI devices (x2 IN and x2 OUT), so hopefully this will solve the problem. I'll report back once I've had chance to install and configure it.

So I've now received and attempted to setup my new MIDI MIO2 box.
Whilst my MAC recognises and allows me to connect to USB Port 1, my PC running Cubase just will not. My PC doesnt even recognise the MIO2 USB ports. I've also tried a MOTU MIDI box and the same problem. I've tried plugging the MIO2 and MOTU in to different USB ports on my PC (both USB2 and USB3) but there's no change. Weirdly I can use the MIO2 iConfig software to configure the MIO2 from both PC and Mac, its just the USB ports that don't show up as MIDI ports on my PC.

According to various reviews of the MIO2, it is easy to connect PC to Mac using a MIO2 for MIDI synching. Yeah right!!!!

I've timed out now, so this will have to wait, and I'll have to rely on synching everything by hand (nightmare!!!).

But anyone with any ideas as to why my PC running Windows10 cannot see or recognise the new MIDI ports would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Just wondering how you got on with this @jpb007.uk ?
To be honest, after 3 days of fiddling about, I gave up.
I've gone back to using the video tracks in CubasePro, which having upgraded my video card, now seems to be running fine. I've sent the MIO2 back for a nice refund and abandoned the VideoSlave software, which I decided was too much hassle to get working. Life is too short :)

Sorry to hear that, but congrats on finding another solution. The reason I asked is that I looked at the MIO2 website at the time and the way it was worded "Integrate two Macs and/or PCs." was slightly vague I thought. Anyway, glad you're sorted.

Top Bottom