What's new

Cubase 10..... to Update or Buy Full?

98bpm

When checking m email today, I see an announcement that Steinberg is offering Cubase 10 for 50% off until June 2019 in celebration of their 30th anniversary. This deal doesn't apply to updates from previous versions for current users, though.

For me, I purchased Cubase 7.5 back in 2014 (ancient, I know) and was eligible for a free upgrade to 8.0, so I took it and have been using it since. Now I feel behind and have been VERY tempted to update to version 10. I saw that the update from my version to version 10 is $199.99 which obviously save a little bit of money, but for the cost of a cheap date, I can get the Full version. The question is, why? Is there some added benefit to buying a Full version opposed to updating your existing version? If I buy full version Cubase 10, does it run independently of my older version or does it replace it altogether?

There is no advantage to buying the full versus the updated. I currently have versions 8, 9 and 10 all installed on my studio computer. I probably should delete at least one of them but I think if I do, the others won't work. The big difference between 8 and 9/10 is that 8 will still use the older plugins. 9/10 will blacklist pretty much all your 32 bit plugins as well as most of your VST2 plugins (if not all) I've mostly updated everything, but still have a few that don't show up, so I move over to 8 if I need them.

Though if you have any of the other DAWs on the crossgrade list, you might save a few dollars buying the crossgrade version from Best Services.

If I am not mistaken Steinberg runs discounts on updates in July usually. So, if you can wait for a bit there is a chance that you can get the update at a discounted price.

There is no advantage to buying the full versus the updated. I currently have versions 8, 9 and 10 all installed on my studio computer. I probably should delete at least one of them but I think if I do, the others won't work. The big difference between 8 and 9/10 is that 8 will still use the older plugins. 9/10 will blacklist pretty much all your 32 bit plugins as well as most of your VST2 plugins (if not all) I've mostly updated everything, but still have a few that don't show up, so I move over to 8 if I need them.
My intention was to buy the full version in order to keep the older version from being overwritten with version 10. When I updated from 7.5 to 8, the 7.5 was overwritten (as best as I can remember - because I don't specifically recall having to delete it). So an update to version 10 won't actually overwrite my version 8?

My intention was to buy the full version in order to keep the older version from being overwritten with version 10. When I updated from 7.5 to 8, the 7.5 was overwritten (as best as I can remember - because I don't specifically recall having to delete it). So an update to version 10 won't actually overwrite my version 8?
It didn't for me. I'm on a PC, so I don't know if it is different for a Mac, but I still have 8, 9, and 10 on my computer and they all work.

Edit - all were installed from the Steinberg control program - whatever it is called. Similar to Native Access. Downloaded and then run the installer.

It didn't for me. I'm on a PC, so I don't know if it is different for a Mac, but I still have 8, 9, and 10 on my computer and they all work.

Edit - all were installed from the Steinberg control program - whatever it is called. Similar to Native Access. Downloaded and then run the installer.

Thanks for the feedback. For clarification, I reached out to Steinberg and here's the gist of what they said. Updates will update the current license of Cubase to the newest version while a full purchase will add a new license to the elicenser dongle. Perhaps there is some differences between platforms and I also don't recall using any specific programs do update from 7.5 to 8.0 back then. Perhaps things have changed.

Thanks for the feedback. For clarification, I reached out to Steinberg and here's the gist of what they said. Updates will update the current license of Cubase to the newest version while a full purchase will add a new license to the elicenser dongle. Perhaps there is some differences between platforms and I also don't recall using any specific programs do update from 7.5 to 8.0 back then. Perhaps things have changed.
I guess what I am saying is although you technically lose the license to the earlier version, the current license covers the prior version as well as the current one. Just don’t delete the old one. I don’t have the .5 versions, so I don’t know if they get replaced.

Hello all,

I have seen that you have already red it some where else, but I though we should also show our face around here. We have now updated the online shop, and updates and upgrades are now available as well. It seems we have learnt a lot from this celebration. There are some basic principles in life and one of those is “family first”. Well, we planned the Cubase 30th anniversary, but scheduled the sales deals for our existing customers after the sales promotion for the new customers. We honestly promise you that there was no bad intention, just bad timing. So please accept our deepest apologies as we have clearly upset some of you. The updates and upgrades will be included in the sales promotion before the weekend begins. If you have already updated to Cubase 10, please keep an eye on your emails. There will be weekly deals on HALion, WaveLab, Dorico and Iconica in May as well. Once more, thank you for choosing Cubase!

https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_product/product/cubase-pro-10.html

Best regards,
GN

As already stated, with a single license you can use any version (together running parallel on a single system) you want. But there might be a benefit to you of keeping the old and having 2 Cubase licenses.

This sounds so tempting. I've been using ProTools for over 20 years at home. I know Cubase offers way more when it comes to midi. Maybe I should give it a try...

Top Bottom