What's new

[Cubase 10] Odd behaviour when using group channels - no signal in 5.1 when panned to the right

quickbrownf0x

I had fun once. It was awful.
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone a lot smarter than I am could help me solve this issue. So here I am, working on my new template in Cubase 10 during the holidays - as you do and;

- I select a track, any track, any patch - like the Spitfire Horn patch in my attached screenshot.
- I pan the audio hard-right using the multipanner.
- When I route the audio to my 'SC_BRASS2' group channel, which goes into another group channel called 'SCORING_FULL', which goes into the group 'FULL_MIX' and finally into '5.1_OUT'...

... I get nothing. No sound whatsoever. Pan it to the left or back two monitors and voila; everything's cool. Nice horn sound. Lovely.

Weird thing is that when I route the audio directly to either FULL_MIX or 5.1_OUT and now I hear everything in glorious 5.1 surround.
So it's not like the right channel audio gets lost straight out of Kontakt - you can clearly see the signal coming in in the Multipanner. But as soon as I start moving the big red/yellow dots around you'll notice that things start to go south.

I tried to reproduce the error in a bare-bones, fresh project and yup - still occurs there too. I replaced stereo outs with mono ones in Kontakt; still the same. Deleted my old VST outputs, created new ones. Checked my Focusrite Control Panel to see if I screwed up somehow there. No luck.

So I haven't got the faintest idea of what's going on. I'm betting someone here does. Could just be that I'm an idiot and it's an easy fix. Anyway - would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

Happy holidays/best wishes,
QBF

Attachments

• screenshot_1.jpg
    screenshot_1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 12
This looks like it could actually be a bug... multiple 5.1 group tracks going into each other.
Are they definitely all 5.1? if one is 5.0 that could effect things perhaps?
With your spitfire horn test, I assume that's stereo right? Have you tried just muting the left channel while L and R are at their default positions? Is it only happening when you're collapsing both L and R to the right side?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone a lot smarter than I am could help me solve this issue. So here I am, working on my new template in Cubase 10 during the holidays - as you do and;

- I select a track, any track, any patch - like the Spitfire Horn patch in my attached screenshot.
- I pan the audio hard-right using the multipanner.
- When I route the audio to my 'SC_BRASS2' group channel, which goes into another group channel called 'SCORING_FULL', which goes into the group 'FULL_MIX' and finally into '5.1_OUT'...

... I get nothing. No sound whatsoever. Pan it to the left or back two monitors and voila; everything's cool. Nice horn sound. Lovely.

Weird thing is that when I route the audio directly to either FULL_MIX or 5.1_OUT and now I hear everything in glorious 5.1 surround.
So it's not like the right channel audio gets lost straight out of Kontakt - you can clearly see the signal coming in in the Multipanner. But as soon as I start moving the big red/yellow dots around you'll notice that things start to go south.

I tried to reproduce the error in a bare-bones, fresh project and yup - still occurs there too. I replaced stereo outs with mono ones in Kontakt; still the same. Deleted my old VST outputs, created new ones. Checked my Focusrite Control Panel to see if I screwed up somehow there. No luck.

So I haven't got the faintest idea of what's going on. I'm betting someone here does. Could just be that I'm an idiot and it's an easy fix. Anyway - would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

Happy holidays/best wishes,
QBF

Is one of the group tracks it's routed to accidentally mono by chance?

This looks like it could actually be a bug... multiple 5.1 group tracks going into each other.
Are they definitely all 5.1? if one is 5.0 that could effect things perhaps?
With your spitfire horn test, I assume that's stereo right? Have you tried just muting the left channel while L and R are at their default positions? Is it only happening when you're collapsing both L and R to the right side?

Hey Cristopher/Buddy,

cheers for replying. Yup, everything's in 5.1, all groups, etc. Horns are in stereo, and both sides, Left and Right have a decent signal coming into the multipanner, as you can see in the screenshot.

So to check I figured - right, let's see what happens when I use a mono Kontakt output for my horns instead. But no - it's still f*cked; once panned to the right I get nothing. Regardless of the patch I use.

Weird, right? At this point thinking of asking Tom Holkenborg or Hans or something, because apparently they've managed to get this to work properly. At the risk of looking like a complete knobhead lol. What do you guys think? Thanks again.

Happy newyear btw,
Qbf.

Okay, I guess I fixed it by recreating (not duplicating, that didn't work) and reassigning all of my group tracks. It's working, at least for now. I can only guess what the actual cause was, but there you go. Thanks for your input guys!

Top Bottom