1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSS vs Musical Sampling Adventure/soaring strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by ctsai89, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I just found this old post of mine, and want to add a comment - since I have Soaring Strings now.
    I actually ended up buying Soaring Strings at the current sales price, and have to modify the quote above now.

Regarding section sizes, I just found this:
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sampled-orchestra-part2
    "Soaring Strings: 10/*/6/5/4 [1] 6.4GB"

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  2. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo -

Jul 1, 2016
    Soaring Strings sounds pretty nice.

the $129 price is still up.

i don't have this flavor of strings yet (VSL, Hein are my mainstays).

recommended for occasional soaring use?

Adventure and Soaring seem like a great offering.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  3. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I'm a bit surprised at some of the categorical declarations in this thread -- "SSS can't do ....." "CSS can't do...."

I don't think any library "can't do" an epic arrangement, for example. That sounds is 10x more influenced by the arrangement and composition than by which string library is used.

More is More

I am not sure you can have too many string libraries. Like @Saxer I am greedy when it comes to strings and own quite a few complete libraries. I often substitute, sometimes at the last minute, a violin or cello or bass line from a different library, just because in that particular passage with that particular arrangement something is not quite as "whatever" as one wants.

I use SSS, LASS, HS, CSS, HZ Strings, various smaller-ensemble string libraries, etc. in greater or lesser proportions; it all depends on the sound one's going for and the particular passage. I know it's cheating but if I can't hear the cellos doing what I want quite often I swap in some other library and -- hey presto!

Just to take one example, for recent large-scale tracks I'm leaning pretty heavily on SSS but the basses from HZ Strings -- wowsa! I have been using them quite a bit. In a live performance, even two acoustic contrabasses can fill a room rather well, but I find most sample libraries' bass sections underwhelming compared with the real thing. Yes, I know HZ Strings is "too big" for any normal section but it sounds more accurate to my ears when I'm trying to emulate a big sound.

markleake, richardt4520 and Saxer like this.
  4. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    One more thought -- to get the strings to play together rhythmically requires the most painstaking setup, with midi offsets for nearly every articulation. Even then I find myself going into the audio track and sliding, say, "high short strings" a little so they land where I want.

This timing issue raises another question about keyswitch patches and whether they are good or bad compared with one-midi-track-per-articulation. I'd argue that keyswitch patches are "bad" for just this reason but I'm not consistent; I use them too.

richardt4520 likes this.
  5. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I actually think it *is* possible to have too many string libraries. :) But your last sentence pretty much sums it up, and it's not even cheating. It's just a method get the sound you want in order to not need have spend too much time on technical details.

Regarding "SSS can't do ....." "CSS can't do...." etc: I also use expressions like that - in an inaccurate way, because most of the time, it isn't about what they can do - or which library that's best - it's about which sound they can deliver, relevant to what you are looking for for the pieces you're working on. And since real musicians/orchestras can sound great in so many different ways - it's unrealistic to hope to find all those options/colours from one single library.

JohnG likes this.