What's new

CSS mixing problem with noise

ogrim1

I'm trying to make CSS more bright, so I tried to use exciter as it was recommended somewhere on this forum (I'm using Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter) and some EQ with positive results, but there is a problem with "airy" noise, it's a big deal while playing softly as the volume of the noise stays the same (as far as i can hear) throughout entire range of a modwheel and is very noticable on the lower end.

Btw. You can hear this noise without using any plugins while playing softly especially right at the moment of pressing a key. Can someone help? I really like everything about this library except the sound and the tone which is probably most important thing.

Edit: There is also a point where there is more noise than actual sound arround 22 and under (Violins 2), is this occurring naturally from bowing a string? Main mic is the noisiest.

Edit2: Last question, is there tutorial on how to achive "John williams sound (Jurassic Park is my favorite mix/recording, which is kinda airy lol)" with close mics, in this case room mics optionally as the main is unusable?

Last edited:
I would say this is the only problem with CSS; but sometimes an annoying one when working with the quieter layers. It's quite noticeable and no, quiet strings don't make noise.

This is also my biggest concern of what I otherwise call my favorite and go-to string library.
As you mentioned, this mainly is a problem at soft dynamic long notes (especially when you got an ensemble playing, the noise is building up). Less of a problem in a busy mix or with short notes.
I also prefer my string tone to be brighter, generally speaking. But the only workaround I found is to not boost too much air. Not a fan of close mic only. Maybe somebody who tried professional denoising plugins can say more.

I was also wondering about noise at pianissimo in SA StS, but I found this on google:

A good quality pianissimo should have a lot of air in the sound. This is especially true in an orchestral pianissimo. You should be able to hear the note clearly, but the instrument should ring and there should be a sort of fuzzy halo around the sound. When a full string section plays like this the sound is magical.

Pianissimo

I don't play violin, so don't know if this is reproduced in the libraries. Didn't sound particularly magical to me, so was also curious if normalization of pianissimo samples could be contributing.

I was also wondering about noise at pianissimo in SA StS, but I found this on google:

Pianissimo

I don't play violin, so don't know if this is reproduced in the libraries. Didn't sound particularly magical to me, so was also curious if normalization of pianissimo samples could be contributing.
If that‘s what magic sounds like, I prefer taking a step back from it.
It‘s hissing white noise, nothing else, as if it would have been recorded with low-tier microphones (the strings themselves are dark but of course not low quality in sound, just to make that clear).
There are libraries that handle this specific thing way better and neither do I believe that this is how you would want a real recording to sound like...
Again, there is no doubt that CSS is otherwise an incredible library.

There are great advices for denoising in this topic :

There are great advices for denoising in this topic :
Yep, what the @Consona dude says there.
3.gif

One thing though. If the samples are really noisy, you can get rid of the noise quite well but it will affect frequencies of the original sound to some extent. You can sature it and boost highs with eq after the noise reduction, but it won't sound exactly like the original but without the noise and with more highs. It will sound like a slightly darker version of that sound with boosted highs. And of course, the lesser the noise, the lesser the darkening of the original source since you don't have to use as much of the reduction.

I have also tried EQng and even using RX7 to Denoise it but as others mentioned once you take the noise out, it will affect the sound in a negative way, to the point that it no longer sounds that good or as good as it did without the noise removal. I mitigate this by choosing a "half-way" denoising/EQ instead of making hard cuts/denoising; this way you get a good compromise.
More experienced and/or talented people might be able to remove the noise with the tools i mentioned without affecting the sound too much but i haven´t been able to.

Alex mentioned he will denoise and re-package the samples; i just hope that when he does, the "magic" of CSS/CSSS doesnt get lost like it did when i tried to denoise/EQ.

Most people won´t even notice the noise but as the person who makes the music, once you hear it, you can no longer abstract yourself from it. And it´s not just the hiss as some people mentioned; there´s also alot of low end noise there, although it is easier to remove that one since most of the instruments dont really need it that much.

I still love his libraries and fully support them, plus, Alex is a very professional and passionate person, so i believe he will do his products and us supporters right.

Top Bottom