What's new

CSS & Cubase Expression Maps

Dirk Ehlert

Dirk Ehlert
Has anyone figured a working solution for Cubase Expression Maps and CSS?

The articulation switching works flawlessly with the MidiCC58 system, but when it comes to leg/non leg and Sord/non Sord (which is also set up wiuth CC58) I can't get it working in expression maps. I tried to set it up in groups but to no success. Has anyone come across a working solution?
Cheers
Dirk

Has anyone figured a working solution for Cubase Expression Maps and CSS?

The articulation switching works flawlessly with the MidiCC58 system, but when it comes to leg/non leg and Sord/non Sord (which is also set up wiuth CC58) I can't get it working in expression maps. I tried to set it up in groups but to no success. Has anyone come across a working solution?
Cheers
Dirk
Hey @de_signs - I've been experimenting with this as well.

With CSS and its MidiCC58, I personally found that having Cubase send both legato on/off (76/81) and an articulation switch (6 for advanced legato) meant that only the bottom CC58 value would be sent from that articulation. The result can be that:
  • CC58 = 6 (for sustain) and CC58 = 76 (for legato) will result in the cell remaining wherever it is. If you were in another legato enabled articulation, it will enable legato
  • CC58 = 76 and CC58 = 6 will result in the cell moving to sustains, but will not enable legato
Essentially, the expression map only sends the bottom value for a CC, if you send it twice in a particular articulation. I've gotten around this by just sending keyswitches instead - remapping to C-2 upwards was more effective. You could fully embrace keyswitches, or just use them for the legato on/off and con/senza sordino.

I also found keyswitches more reliable for hosting Kontakt in VEPro (more in this thread here).

Yeah right now, I'm switching artics via expression map and leg/non leg and Sord/senza sord with the initial keyswitches (A#0 soft /loud B0 soft loud)

I was just wondering if somebody had been able to set up the entire thing in expression maps without the need for additional CC or KS

If anyone finds a video on this please post it. It's something that I also have been wanting to set up for a long time. I'm sure I found a YouTube video about it a while ago and I will have a search for it again when I get a chance later today.

Yeah right now, I'm switching artics via expression map and leg/non leg and Sord/senza sord with the initial keyswitches (A#0 soft /loud B0 soft loud)

I was just wondering if somebody had been able to set up the entire thing in expression maps without the need for additional CC or KS
Just wondering if anyone has made any progress on this.

Just wondering if anyone has made any progress on this.
For me sord/senza and etc. must be placed in separate groups with higher priority than others articulations for proper work. Try this (this map I made for work with AVO CSS control panel with single note trills switched on)

Attachments

• CSS section.expressionmap_.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 52
I figured it out. I did the sordino switching with the dynamics part of the expression map. It's the only time I've ever used that.

For me sord/senza and etc. must be placed in separate groups with higher priority than others articulations for proper work. Try this (this map I made for work with AVO CSS control panel with single note trills switched on)
Thanks for this. This seems to work pretty well with a quick test.

Quick general question. Are Expression Maps files stored in any specific location in Cubase (PC)? I've noticed people opening Expression Maps Setup with dozens of maps listed - I presumed that there was some sort of specific repository for them? Not sure - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:
I wish expression maps could use the last three keys of a 88 keyboard. I couldn’t get them to use anything below c0

I am sorry, I wasn’t in front of the computer.
I was refering to the three notes below c-2 in cubase (the first A, Bb and B in a 88 keys keyboard).

Store them where you like.
But store them
I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick about this. I have seen videos of people opening the Expression Map Setup dialogue which has all the expression maps listed in the left hand column. Are these all the maps associated with the current project / template? In other words if I create a new track for an instrument not already in the template and bring up the Expression Maps setup I assume that I would first have to load it and then it would remain in the EMS list?

Yes and yes.
In the inspector the loaded expression maps can be selected.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-4_10-41-48.png
    upload_2019-1-4_10-41-48.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 28
I wish expression maps could use the last three keys of a 88 keyboard. I couldn’t get them to use anything below c0

Don't use a main keyboard for expression maps. Use a tablet with PrCh messages - from tablet you can send up to 127 keyswitches, without any limitation, but from keyboard only 88 or less (if you have less keys)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 22.35.34.JPEG
    Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 22.35.34.JPEG
    103.7 KB · Views: 36

Thanks for sharing your Expression Map, Vadium! It works great with the AVO CSS control but somehow I cannot get the con/senza sordino to work. If I put CS on the Expression Map lane (screenshot here below), the legato doesn't work anymore :/ What am I doing wrong?

Here's the Cubase10 file.

Many thanks in advance!

Screen-Shot-2019-01-15-at-20-50-21.png

I am still learning Cubase, but I believe that is because basically only one articulation at a time can be chosen. The expression map list will search through the list based on order and priorities and choose one...and that's the one that gets used. In your above expression map, con sord must have a higher priority then the legato, so when you have both in effect, mutes win. I think?

Top Bottom