What's new

CSB New Mixing test

Sounds pretty good!

I think 'Tyler Ford Rap Scout' really nailed the critique: "Honestly a fire track bro.. I honestly think you’d benefit from getting our in-depth online training about artist success! Check the link in my bio, you're welcome 🔥 "
:)

Sounds pretty good!

I think 'Tyler Ford Rap Scout' really nailed the critique: "Honestly a fire track bro.. I honestly think you’d benefit from getting our in-depth online training about artist success! Check the link in my bio, you're welcome 🔥 "
I accidentally marked this post as spam too quickly, haha. Didn't even made the link to that ridiculous soundcloud reply.
Thanks though!

Rico

So basically, its 2c audio predecence first for panning. Then fabfilter pro q3 for cutting some resonances. And some high treble boost. Then grouped together and put a small reverb on it from altiverb and seventh heaven.

Cheers!

It sounds pretty good within this template. Is this also CSS in there? Do you have any processing for that?

I was gonna try to fiddle with my CSS/CSB sound by doing some more EQ matching, for example with CineBrass.

It sounds pretty good within this template. Is this also CSS in there? Do you have any processing for that?

I was gonna try to fiddle with my CSS/CSB sound by doing some more EQ matching, for example with CineBrass.
Hey Scamper!
Thanks, no CSS in this one. Its Con Moto.
I tried that too with cinebrass. Even tried to match eq all mics separately. But that did not work that great and used too much ram for my laptop. So i used the mix. (Except for the trumpets. Boosted the room quite a bunch) now working on CSS too!

Cheers!

Cheers!

I tried that too with cinebrass. Even tried to match eq all mics separately. But that did not work that great and used too much ram for my laptop. So i used the mix. (Except for the trumpets. Boosted the room quite a bunch) now working on CSS too!

Interesting. So, did you keep the matched eq on the mix mics for this demo?

Unfortunately, I don't have much proper sources to use for eq matching with CSS. Next to some ensemble libraries, I'll probably try it with SCS, which sounds like a horrible idea. I'm curious to see, what you'll come up with.

Interesting. So, did you keep the matched eq on the mix mics for this demo?

Unfortunately, I don't have much proper sources to use for eq matching with CSS. Next to some ensemble libraries, I'll probably try it with SCS, which sounds like a horrible idea. I'm curious to see, what you'll come up with.
Yes I did. Matched by ear in the end. The main difference between the out of the box sound is the imaging and less mid/mid/low overall. I think cinebrass has better close mics too. (More section mics really). But the only extra mics i turned on were for the trumpets for more room. For CSS im also kinda doing a blend between conmoto/SCS/cinestrings. Also noticed its mainly eq around 500hz.

Haha, this comment is gold! :P

I can't offer any substantial critique on the mix since I am currently using cheap earbuds, but I just wanted to say I loved your piece. Fantastic writing!!!

...Any advice or feedback would be very welcome.

Nice sounding brass! Wow!

A) While listening I noticed that the mix is a bit overdone stereo technically. If you are using a stereowidener, I would set it less extreme. Especially in the lower mids it is exaggerated. The correlation there is often well below zero. You could use an EQ and only attenuate the side signal at the lower mids (e.g. Fabfilter Q3).

B) I also noticed that everything sounds from the right or left. In the middle of the stereo field there is almost nothing but a hole ;).

C) If you position the choir more in the middle, it will come through more and nicely which would be good for it anyway. Also: You would have no more "hole". So two birds with one stone.

These are 3 suggestions for improvement - at the highest level of course.
All the best
Beat

Nice sounding brass! Wow!

A) While listening I noticed that the mix is a bit overdone stereo technically. If you are using a stereowidener, I would set it less extreme. Especially in the lower mids it is exaggerated. The correlation there is often well below zero. You could use an EQ and only attenuate the side signal at the lower mids (e.g. Fabfilter Q3).

B) I also noticed that everything sounds from the right or left. In the middle of the stereo field there is almost nothing but a hole ;).

C) If you position the choir more in the middle, it will come through more and nicely which would be good for it anyway. Also: You would have no more "hole". So two birds with one stone.

These are 3 suggestions for improvement - at the highest level of course.
All the best
Beat
Thanks Beat,

That is really helpful!
Thanks for the advice and kind words.
I have the right tools, so now its up to the right usage, haha!

Thanks again,

Rico

Sounds great Rico!
I’m in the same boat as you as in not liking the out of the box sound completely.
I did try to play around a bit with the different mic positions pushing the brass a bit further to the back and adding some reverb on top and that improved it to my taste.
Going to try a bit of eq as well like you said
Thanks!

Sounds great Rico!
I’m in the same boat as you as in not liking the out of the box sound completely.
I did try to play around a bit with the different mic positions pushing the brass a bit further to the back and adding some reverb on top and that improved it to my taste.
Going to try a bit of eq as well like you said
Thanks!
Thanks man! For trumpets especially its nice to boost the room mic too! Thats for me the biggest issue of the library. Close mic positions! Too close! Have to agree with Beat Kaufman about the mid in the mix. I like the sound from sony stage. Kinda wide imaging. But i overdid it slightly or did not make the rest mono enough. There is indeed a sort of gap in the middle. kinda weird. :D
Trumpets could use some high treble too!

Cheers!

Rico

So basically, its 2c audio predecence first for panning. Then fabfilter pro q3 for cutting some resonances. And some high treble boost. Then grouped together and put a small reverb on it from altiverb and seventh heaven.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing your demo, it sounds very good.

How do you like using Precedence ? I'm thinking about getting 2C-Audio Precedence + Breeze 2 Combo Deal. Have you considered/tried using their Breeze 2 Reverb With Precedence ?

Thanks for sharing your demo, it sounds very good.

How do you like using Precedence ? I'm thinking about getting 2C-Audio Precedence + Breeze 2 Combo Deal. Have you considered/tried using their Breeze 2 Reverb With Precedence ?
I like predecence. It gives a more realistic sound than just panning normally. Its not cpu heavy for me so K so use it when composing too. I dont have the combo since i have enough reverbs, haha. Have B2, too. But barely use it. Super cpu heavy... You can use whatever reverb you like with the right settings. But im using predecence mostly 'dry' since the samples have room or verb baked in.

Cheers

Rico

I like predecence. It gives a more realistic sound than just panning normally. Its not cpu heavy for me so K so use it when composing too. I dont have the combo since i have enough reverbs, haha. Have B2, too. But barely use it. Super cpu heavy... You can use whatever reverb you like with the right settings. But im using predecence mostly 'dry' since the samples have room or verb baked in.

Cheers

Rico

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

That's super cool! I kinda agree on the hole in the middle. Otherwise, that got me interested in Precedence even more. Loving CSB.
Oh yes! Like i said. I agree with Beat too. Csb is super cool. Just like predecence. First I was like.... I don't need it. All cool mixes I know are done without. but it just sounds super convincing!

Top Bottom