CS2 <> Hollywood Strings

borisb2

quick question:

I use CSS and Hollywood Strings as my main string libraries. Now with Alex' discount I could get CS2 fairly cheap .. and I hear people are still using it here and there because of its lush sound? .. but I have the feeling it would sound very similar to HWS? meaning big and wet ..

does it still make sense to add it to the template next to the above?

oh, and another question: if I would use that discount to get CS2, can I still get a discount for CSB as well?

Last edited:

BenG

I own all three of those libs and to my ears, they are all very different sounding. Compared to HWS and CSS, CS2 is thicker/more lush, 'wetter' and more raw. If that's what you're looking for, then go for it! Here;s a great comparison...

Also, I do believe you would still qualify for the cross-grade pricing, regardless of what other products you purchase.

Mike Fox

CS2 sounds NOTHING like HS. CS2 is big/lush, and the reverb cannot be dialed out. It is a beautiful hall reverb though. It sounds a lot like CSS, but is not as dry or dark.

HS, on the other hand, is much thinner sounding, but is very dry. I'm surprised you find it big and wet.

Since you already have CSS, it might be redundant to get CS2 since the tone of these libraries are quite similar.

Robo Rivard

I don't know what discount you are refering to, but if you own CSS and Hollywood strings, I think you should try to get the most out of them. If you can't make great music with those libraries, it's your fault.

But if you own CSS, you will immediately get an upgrade path to CSB. That's a better way to spend your money.

OP
borisb2

borisb2

If you can't make great music with those libraries, it's your fault.
I need more string-libraries .. otherwise I will refuse to compose any more music :P

...kidding

..you will immediately get an upgrade path to CSB.That's a better way to spend your money.
well, that was my thinking as well .. although CS2 does sound very nice

Last edited:
OP
borisb2

borisb2

I'm surprised you find it big and wet.
Well maybe not wet but for sure big. HWS can have that airy quality as well - with adding the right reverb getting pretty lush .. (like most of Bergersens demos)

Last edited:

Robo Rivard

Boris, if lush strings are what you are after, have you tried doubling the libraries you have with other products like U-He Diva?... Physical Modelling can add a very transparent, silky tone to the libraries you already own.

OP
borisb2

borisb2

Yes, I blended CSS with LS chamber strings. That worked pretty well.. havent tried HWS together with CSS yet

OP
borisb2

borisb2

listened to Daniels overview of CS2 from 2012 .. damn - wanna have :P .. it does sound different from CSS and HWS, so nice .. and good vibrato-control is what I'm missing with CSS

Saxer

CS2 is still a good library! CSS is easier to use (except the extra work caused by the legato latency). The problems I had with CS2 was a buildup into keyboard pad territory when too much midrange motion happens. Fast legatos tend to smear but that's exactly what a a big roomy section sounds like. Runs and staccs and not too dense or detailed arrangements let it shine. It can hold up with bigger drum parts easily.
There's a lot of low freq room hum in the library that can build up heavily with overlapping voices. But if you low cut the violins and violas it's not a problem.
And yes, you can (always) work with what you have. But I find HWS and CSS have more in common than CSS and CS2.

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
At one point I had my eyes on CS2 but then I did what I usually do when shopping for string libraries: I hauled out EWHS, manual and all. I found I wasn't really wasn't blown away with CS (same with Berlin Strings, though I am a big fan of OT).

In fact, none of the libraries (including LASS) that are popular here have really impressed me over EWHS. I like the chunky rawk of Ark 1 (not so much the longs) and often find splendid things in Iceni, but again there's no way I'd default to those two libraries over the Hollywood. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
EWHS is the library that continually raises the question in my mind: "just how much more advanced has technology actually become for string libraries over the years?". Time and time again I default to Hollywood, and I have a ton of libraries.

Last edited:

Consona

It is, but the tails are way noisier so it's not that bad after they are disabled.

But you are right, I use De-noiser every time for CS2 to reduce the hiss.

OP
borisb2

borisb2

.. just asked Alex about that dicsount code for CS2 .. couldnt help it.

fun fact: just saw that talking about Hollywood Strings here only senior members contribute .. I guess loving HWS comes with age?

Last edited: