What's new

Crossgrade from Cubase 6 to Nuendo 10? Worth it?

Eduardo Lopez

Hey! :)

So I´m thinking to finally upgrade my old version of Cubase 6 to Nuendo (Or Cubase 10.5), but I wanted some suggestions from all you expert fine folks!

My main reason to crossgrading to Nuendo is the integration with Wwise and all game audio and music related-features, amongst the other features also available on Cubase 10, also I´ve heard Nuendo is usually more stable than the Cubase version, but I don't know if this is true or not!

*Also, does Nuendo usually update versions annually as Cubase?

So... 3 questions:

1. Money-wise, the upgrade from Cubase 6 to Cubase Pro 10.5 is $299 (euro), but the crossgrade from Cubase 6 to Nuendo is $399 (euro), Instead of the $1000 (euros) to the full version, which is quite an attractive price, I think...

2. What is your experience with Nuendo, especially with Game Audio/Music and Film Scoring against Cubase 10.5?

3. I´ve been trying to save some bucks for the Steinberg Summer Sale And... anyone knows if during the summer sale do they usually offer discounts to crossgrades to Nuendo or is it just to Cubase? or do they even offer upgrade discounts? (from Cubase full versions, not elements and the other ones).

Thanks! :D

Last edited:

labornvain

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. And I suspect you'll really enjoy the upgrade since both Cubase and Nuendo have come a long way since version 6.

As for stability, however, I don't think there's a big difference in the end. What happens is they release Cubase first, warts and all, and use that to work out the bugs. Then they released Nuendo.

So in a sense, Cubase is like a beta program for Nuendo. The trade-off is that Cubase gets the big new features first while Nuendo users languish in misery. :)

OP
E

Eduardo Lopez

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. And I suspect you'll really enjoy the upgrade since both Cubase and Nuendo have come a long way since version 6.

As for stability, however, I don't think there's a big difference in the end. What happens is they release Cubase first, warts and all, and use that to work out the bugs. Then they released Nuendo.

So in a sense, Cubase is like a beta program for Nuendo. The trade-off is that Cubase gets the big new features first while Nuendo users languish in misery. :)

I see! Nice! Thanks! :D

NYC Composer

I have no experience with Nuendo, but did a clean install when I upgraded Cubase 6.02 to 10.5.12 on a new iMac. The latter has a lot of great features, but Cubase 6 was bulletproof. C10.5.12 crashes more for inconsistent reasons.

OP
E

Eduardo Lopez

I have no experience with Nuendo, but did a clean install when I upgraded Cubase 6.02 to 10.5.12 on a new iMac. The latter has a lot of great features, but Cubase 6 was bulletproof. C10.5.12 crashes more for inconsistent reasons.

Hmm... that´s what I keep hearing about the newer versions of Cubase... 🤔

But, Yes! I barely have any crashed with Cubase 6 or any issues at all. That´s one of the main reasons why I haven´t upgraded... but I could be wrong! 😂

labornvain

Yeah, Steinberg implemented some code in Cubase 10 x that made it fussy about the plugins you use.

Most of the crashes stem from this.

The solution is to either update the offending plugins, or stop using them.

I already bitched and moaned plenty about their decision to implement this code on the Steinberg website, so I won't do that here. But it sucked.

I will say that once I identified the offending plugins, Cubase 10 has now become as stable as any any version I've used previously.

At least in terms of crashes. It still has other bugs like my VST Instruments not sounding that I've had since version 7. But it rarely ever crashes.

NYC Composer

Which brings up the question...which plug ins?

I removed all VST 2.0 versions of Izoptope products and that improved things greatly.

AllanH

Which brings up the question...which plug ins?

I removed all VST 2.0 versions of Izoptope products and that improved things greatly.

I've removed all VST2s where I also have a corresponding VST3. While Cubase is supposed to ignore the VST2s, it works a lot better (and faster) without the VST2s present in the first place.

The old IK VST2 should definitely go.

Top Bottom