What's new

Criticality Event - Epic Hybrid Dramatic Trailer Music

Taj Mikel

Hi, VI!

This is trailer music, so getting that out there at the start ;D

This track starts somewhat dark and dramatic, and concludes with a more triumphant feeling backend. This is my third cinematic trailer track, so I'm still exploring what trailer music is and how to properly make it. I also focused specifically on reverb this go around, what it is and how to properly use it to simulate space. I got a lot further in that exercise than I have in the past!

The music is aimed toward science fiction adventure projects. Picture Avengers, superheros and villains, etc.

I would very much appreciate any feedback on the composition and mix, as it is valuable for my continued learning. Hope you're well, thanks VI! :)

There are some cool ideas in your piece! I believe you are achieving the trailer vibe you are aiming for.. As far as feedback, I think maybe a couple of things poked out of the mix a little too much and maybe it could use a little more glue. Also, I would suggest possibly a fade in or something at the intro. To me it sounds like we missed the first part of the sound when the piece starts. I know this isn't the case in reality, but that was my first impression.

If you have cash to spend, I know that Mark Petrie offers critiques for a fee. It is expensive for sure, but it may be worth it to you if you want feedback from a really successful trailer guy.

There are some cool ideas in your piece! I believe you are achieving the trailer vibe you are aiming for.. As far as feedback, I think maybe a couple of things poked out of the mix a little too much and maybe it could use a little more glue. Also, I would suggest possibly a fade in or something at the intro. To me it sounds like we missed the first part of the sound when the piece starts. I know this isn't the case in reality, but that was my first impression.

If you have cash to spend, I know that Mark Petrie offers critiques for a fee. It is expensive for sure, but it may be worth it to you if you want feedback from a really successful trailer guy.

Thanks, Patrick!

A few people have mentioned a fade in, I agree. It’s a bit jarring in that first moment.

Which elements did you think poked out of the mix?

I hear you on the glue. I’m still figuring out how to best use reverb.

I didn’t know that Mark offered critiques! Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll explore that when I get a bit better and further along in my practice.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts and insight, I really appreciate it! :)

Thanks, Patrick!

A few people have mentioned a fade in, I agree. It’s a bit jarring in that first moment.

Which elements did you think poked out of the mix?

I hear you on the glue. I’m still figuring out how to best use reverb.

I didn’t know that Mark offered critiques! Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll explore that when I get a bit better and further along in my practice.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts and insight, I really appreciate it! :)

Well I just listened again and these are subtle things but, I guess at times the strings don't sound right to me, like they are too forward in the mix (such as at about 1:04). I know with trailer music this is often done intentionally so it might just be my taste. Also, that first perc hit at about 34 seconds seems to jump out a little too much. I think maybe if you made a little build into it or riser it would work a bit better, or adjust the hit and add some low end and make it softer the first time. And perhaps a touch less 2 to 4k, maybe some multiband or dynamic eq to cut that a little. Or, I may be wrong! Just my impression at the moment. Good luck with your work!

Yes, if you have the resources I'm sure Mark's input would be great!

Top Bottom