What's new

Crimson Horizon - Exercise in over-the-top layering

klawire

I have been struggling with getting my tracks to sound punchy, interesting and larger than life. I've been slowly improving my composing and orchestration skills, but something else seemed to be missing too.

So I created this track. It started as an exercise in layering string libraries (4 + synth strings) and escalated to layering multiple drums, 4 pianos, 2 brass libraries, synths and what not. :shocked:

Were the countless hours trying to perfect this and suffering from crashes as my pc constantly ran out of RAM (I have 16GB only) worth it? I'd appreciate any and all feedback on this! :)

Certainly a lot going on here, but to me it's too disjointed. Sounds like more of a collection of demo sequences than a full piece or composition. My advice would be to limit your instrument palette and construct a clear melodic & harmonic structure. You can add the bells & whistles if needed later, but get the foundation & 'bones' of the piece strong first.

I can hear you have many ideas you'd like to express which is a good thing. It's tempting to throw all your tricks at a piece, and easier now more than ever with the range and quality of sample libraries available, but my suggestion is that a 'less is more' approach is something to keep in mind.

Thank you for your advice! As you rightly called out, I did not spend a lot of thought on the structure and consistency of this track. I will do that in the future now that I have a basic ready-mixed palette of sounds and will not be carried away by sound engineering.

I'd be curious to hear what you thought about the programming and mixing in this track?

Top Bottom