What's new

Creating stems in Cubase (with send FX)

EmmCeeSq

Hi all,

Can I ask for some tricks and tips on the quickest, most painless way to export stems (with send FX) from Cubase, ideally from those working in library/production music? I'm being asked to provide stems in groups, and I'm running into some problems with Cubase.

Cubase (I'm on C10) lacks the facility to be able to export stems with the signal path intact (I don't want to just stick a reverb on my 'high strings' group, as I tailor verb and fx differently for different insturments that doesn't necessarily match my main groups in the mixer).

MEAP doesn't look like it supports Cubase 10, and I've seen some suggestions that indicate 'render in place' as a decent substitute, but this still needs to be done manually. I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks so much.

Mike

OP
EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq

Fantastic! That will save me a hell of a lot of time - I'll slightly adapt the method shown in the 2nd video. Brilliant, thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: Vin

goalie composer

I’m Cubase, group batch export won’t include the entire signal path (as stated previously I don’t like just slapping my fx/verb on groups, instead preferring to send them on a ‘per-track’ basis). Am I wrong?
The only way I know how to keep the send reverb on while not receiving the reverb signal from other instruments is to solo the instruments you want, then bounce it out. Time consuming for sure but it gets the results you're after. If anyone else has a better way of doing this, please chime in.

OP
EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq

The only way I know how to keep the send reverb on while not receiving the reverb signal from other instruments is to solo the instruments you want, then bounce it out. Time consuming for sure but it gets the results you're after. If anyone else has a better way of doing this, please chime in.
See the second video posted above. A much better way of doing things than spending the best part of three hours with this solution. It’s more than slightly irritating that Steinberg haven’t addressed this issue. The colour scheme is nice and all, but I’d much rather have some improved functionality...

goalie composer

See the second video posted above. A much better way of doing things than spending the best part of three hours with this solution. It’s more than slightly irritating that Steinberg haven’t addressed this issue. The colour scheme is nice and all, but I’d much rather have some improved functionality...
Watched it, thanks :) Still doesn't address the reverb as send issue I mentioned unless I'm mistaken :)

OP
EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq

Watched it, thanks :) Still doesn't address the reverb as send issue I mentioned unless I'm mistaken :)
It does (I think) as you simply send each group to its own ‘stem’ channel. Cubase will let you send a group, so it prints all of your groups in real time. I’ll test it soon, but don’t see any reason it won’t work.

OP
EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq

It does (I think) as you simply send each group to its own ‘stem’ channel. Cubase will let you send a group, so it prints all of your groups in real time. I’ll test it soon, but don’t see any reason it won’t work.
Sorry, I’ve not explained that very well. I’ll suss it out, and see if I can’t make a video of how it works.

It's really simple. Create different groups for your different instrument sets. Then create different reverb sends for your different instrument sets. So your strings will have one reverb, brass another Etc.

Then, assign the output of all your different reverbs to their respective groups. So your strings reverb's output will be bused to your strings group.

This way the string instruments' sends will be independently adjustable, but the reverb return for the strings will be bussed through the strings group. So when you're ready to drop stems, every section will have its own reverb printed with that stem.

OP
EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq

It's really simple. Create different groups for your different instrument sets. Then create different reverb sends for your different instrument sets. So your strings will have one reverb, brass another Etc.

Then, assign the output of all your different reverbs to their respective groups. So your strings reverb's output will be bused to your strings group.

This way the string instruments' sends will be independently adjustable, but the reverb return for the strings will be bussed through the strings group. So when you're ready to drop stems, every section will have its own reverb printed with that stem.
Oh Good Lord. How in hell did I miss the option to route a send in Cubase? This is why I posted this in 'newbie questions.' And it works even if (and when) I use different reverbs for different instruments, provided they're all routed to the group (I use groups as a matter of course for mixing anyway), job done. Thanks for chiming in - sometimes you don't realise a possibility exists until someone tells you about it. You've saved me a massive chunk of time here, I O U a drink of your choice.

Justus

That's how I do it! Couldn't wrap my head around it but found this solution in Jason Graves' videos.

macmac

In the second video he's talking about adding buses in the audio connections then audio tracks. So is it better to be making groups instead, i.e. labornvein above? (am a recent crossgrader in the Cubase Pro extravaganza).

OP
EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq

In the second video he's talking about adding buses in the audio connections then audio tracks. So is it better to be making groups instead, i.e. labornvein above? (am a recent crossgrader in the Cubase Pro extravaganza).
I use groups anyway, because I’ll often have a fairly large mix that can quickly get overwhelming. I use a combination of groups and VCA faders to manage the workload. So in my case the solution laborvein outlined above is the best for me.

macmac

Thanks. The groups are then sent to separate buses, or not necessary?

Secondly, do you guys make your template with disabled tracks so that load time is shorter (then enable as you go)?

Last edited:
Oh Good Lord. How in hell did I miss the option to route a send in Cubase? This is why I posted this in 'newbie questions.' And it works even if (and when) I use different reverbs for different instruments, provided they're all routed to the group (I use groups as a matter of course for mixing anyway), job done. Thanks for chiming in - sometimes you don't realise a possibility exists until someone tells you about it. You've saved me a massive chunk of time here, I O U a drink of your choice.
Heh. I'm happy it's going to work for you. And believe me, what comes around goes around. I learn new things every day at this place.

OP
EmmCeeSq

EmmCeeSq

Thanks. The groups are then sent to separate buses?

Secondly, do you guys make your template with disabled tracks so that load time is shorter (then enable as you go)?
I use Vienna ensemble, and have a metagrid command set up in my template that activates the track, enables the instrument in VEPro. Disabled tracks in Cubase is a perfectly valid alternative though.

You don’t really need to bus your groups separately. Cubase has a ‘batch export’ feature, so for creating stems you can simply select all your groups (assuming they correspond to the stems that are required). Provided you route any send FX to your group (I simply didn’t realise you could do this, and I’m suitably embarrassed by my knowledge gap) you’ll get nicely stemmed groups, with a full signal path intact. Easy as pie.

Andrew Goodwin

Yeah the issue is that if you're using any mastering plugins or say a lot of send FX, you have to create separate fx tracks for each stem. So if you have 4 stems and you were using 2 reverbs, you need 4 group tracks, 4 versions of the mastering plugins and 4 versions of the 2 reverbs. This is why the need for multi computer or External plugin processing like UAD or Waves.

I like my plugins, but I have realized that while I can't batch export all stems at once, I can do 2-3 stems simultaneously this way depending on a session and that's still 3 times faster.

Top Bottom