What's new

Creating "monsters" & "beasts" roars

I haven't done it for a project, but I'd try MMorph from Melda productions if you're looking for something unique. Of course if you just want the sound of a lion use a sample. However if you're looking to make a Monster talk it is a good solution.

I'm more looking for a monster's scream, one that curls your blood... :) The speaking would be next, for another time. Thanks!

There's dedicated effects software for processing human voices into monsters - I have Dehumaniser and Voxpat. I've written pretty detailed reviews of them for Bedroom Producers Blog, so you can look those up. They nail a lot of classic movie monster stuff well.

Another option is synthesis. Xoxos Nature VSTs include an animal synth which can growl and roar. For more human-like screams, I made a virtual female death metal vocalist called Marie Ork. I included dinosaur and alien insect presets, and she can also do ghostly whispers and stuff. Both these synth options are free, too.

My wife's a camera assistant.
Last year one of her jobs was documenting some sea mammal rescuing.
The sound guy sent her a baby elephant screaming in distress as a memento.
A blood curdling frightened scream.

At the time I was helping a pal prepare some samples for an EDM tour.
We used that- Other worldly when slowed down even a little.
Look to the sea mammals as a source.
Some very bizarre sounds even before you manipulate them
:eek:

k

p.s. Raccoons are also a good source

Last edited:
I'm more looking for a monster's scream, one that curls your blood... :) The speaking would be next, for another time. Thanks!

Try any Donald Trump speech imo this would be a good starting point..........

My wife's a camera assistant.
Last year one of her jobs was documenting some sea mammal rescuing.
The sound guy sent her a baby elephant screaming in distress as a memento.
A blood curdling frightened scream.

At the time I was helping a pal prepare some samples for an EDM tour.
We used that- Other worldly when slowed down even a little.
Look to the sea mammals as a source.
Some very bizarre sounds even before you manipulate them
:eek:

k

p.s. Raccoons are also a good source

Awesome! Layering a few, including whales low frequencies, could complete the stack.

I looked at Dehumanizer, but meh for $150 (lite) to $450 (pro).

Thank you!

There was a good one I found here https://www.epicsound.com/sfx/

"If you want to simulate the roar of an animal, an angry tiger or lion for example, take a corrugated cardboard box, place two condenser mics (one outside the box, recording overall and the second facing the surface from the inside, to catch the resonance of the space), take a pen and start drawing the surface of the box!

You’ll notice that depending on how you pressure the pen, the roar becomes more severe, more intense. Of course, you can experiment and change any of the variables mentioned it above, as for example: The size of the box, mic types and placement, writing tool (pen, pencil, marker ) e.t.c."
– Kostas Loukovikas"

Example:

Reaktor (some of the most ungodly screaming, puling, wretching ever, you just need to be ready to look for it), Scream (Soundiron).

There was a good one I found here https://www.epicsound.com/sfx/

"If you want to simulate the roar of an animal, an angry tiger or lion for example, take a corrugated cardboard box, place two condenser mics (one outside the box, recording overall and the second facing the surface from the inside, to catch the resonance of the space), take a pen and start drawing the surface of the box!

You’ll notice that depending on how you pressure the pen, the roar becomes more severe, more intense. Of course, you can experiment and change any of the variables mentioned it above, as for example: The size of the box, mic types and placement, writing tool (pen, pencil, marker ) e.t.c."
– Kostas Loukovikas"

Example:

Wow! Very impressive! Thanks for the tip!

Love the cardboard box trick! If you happen to have a dog, and those big plastic bins that mount on the wall to store dog food you can get a really cool sound by dumping stuff into them. I first noticed this when dumping a bag of dog food, but later tried coins, noodles, and I don't even remember what. Great raw material for lots of different sounds! (no longer have the bin, the dog figured out how to open it.)

For things like that I like to use wav file samples. Sonniss has a ton of them for just about any sound you can imagine.

Here's some roars, creepy sounds, and such... https://www.sonniss.com/sound-effects/category/animals-creatures/ (<i>Animal &amp; Creature Sound Effects Libraries</i>)

With synthesizers, we can use FM synthesis to create vocal like sounds. As a sound designer I would suggest an even more simpler technique: grab a microphone and start growling. Then process it with resynthesis / wav re-synthesizer or a waveshaper which can load samples to shape them, and pitch it down.

Last edited:
Yes I did, thanks, but a bit too hot for my reds right now, I like the idea of coming up with something new, on my own too. Great tips here!
Yeah, Dehumaniser is very efficient and can be used to do batch processing and dub monster voices over video in real time, but if you're not regularly doing this and only need a few effects, it's overkill.

Top Bottom