Creating "monsters" & "beasts" roars

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by creativeforge, Mar 2, 2017.

1. creativeforge

creativeforge Barefoot Heart Music

Any of you had to create these kinds of sound effects for film or games? What kind of tools did you use?

2. Chandler

Chandler Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    I haven't done it for a project, but I'd try MMorph from Melda productions if you're looking for something unique. Of course if you just want the sound of a lion use a sample. However if you're looking to make a Monster talk it is a good solution.

creativeforge likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    creativeforge

I'm more looking for a monster's scream, one that curls your blood... :) The speaking would be next, for another time. Thanks!

kgdrum likes this.
  4. DSmolken

DSmolken Senior Member

Jun 30, 2016
    There's dedicated effects software for processing human voices into monsters - I have Dehumaniser and Voxpat. I've written pretty detailed reviews of them for Bedroom Producers Blog, so you can look those up. They nail a lot of classic movie monster stuff well.

Another option is synthesis. Xoxos Nature VSTs include an animal synth which can growl and roar. For more human-like screams, I made a virtual female death metal vocalist called Marie Ork. I included dinosaur and alien insect presets, and she can also do ghostly whispers and stuff. Both these synth options are free, too.

Lawson. and creativeforge like this.
  5. KEnK

KEnK Senior Member

May 1, 2011
    My wife's a camera assistant.
    Last year one of her jobs was documenting some sea mammal rescuing.
    The sound guy sent her a baby elephant screaming in distress as a memento.
    A blood curdling frightened scream.

At the time I was helping a pal prepare some samples for an EDM tour.
    We used that- Other worldly when slowed down even a little.
    Look to the sea mammals as a source.
    Some very bizarre sounds even before you manipulate them
    :eek:

k

p.s. Raccoons are also a good source

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. nordicguy

nordicguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Those indeed deserve a look at.
    If you're not in a total rush, Zynaptiq is supposedly just about to launch Wormhole, and if you know others of them FX, it's really promising.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  7. Farkle

Farkle Senior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Elephant Seals. Elephant Bull Seals. They are fantastic raw materials for creature FX.

8. airflamesred

airflamesred The crumpet man's thinker

Sep 28, 2013
    London
    And here are the Solicitors Bodgeit and Leggits to announce the VIC award for quote of the day!

9. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Try any Donald Trump speech imo this would be a good starting point..........

10. OP
    OP
    creativeforge

Awesome! Layering a few, including whales low frequencies, could complete the stack.

I looked at Dehumanizer, but meh for $150 (lite) to $450 (pro).

Thank you!

11. David Chappell

David Chappell Member

May 19, 2013
    There was a good one I found here http://www.epicsound.com/sfx/

"If you want to simulate the roar of an animal, an angry tiger or lion for example, take a corrugated cardboard box, place two condenser mics (one outside the box, recording overall and the second facing the surface from the inside, to catch the resonance of the space), take a pen and start drawing the surface of the box!

You’ll notice that depending on how you pressure the pen, the roar becomes more severe, more intense. Of course, you can experiment and change any of the variables mentioned it above, as for example: The size of the box, mic types and placement, writing tool (pen, pencil, marker ) e.t.c."
    – Kostas Loukovikas"

Example:

desert, Chandler, Niah2 and 3 others like this.
  12. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Reaktor (some of the most ungodly screaming, puling, wretching ever, you just need to be ready to look for it), Scream (Soundiron).

13. OP
    OP
    creativeforge

There is a reason I didn't post this in OFF-TOPIC. Evidently. Creativity oblige.

14. OP
    OP
    creativeforge

Wow! Very impressive! Thanks for the tip!

15. wst3

wst3 my office these days

Apr 2, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Love the cardboard box trick! If you happen to have a dog, and those big plastic bins that mount on the wall to store dog food you can get a really cool sound by dumping stuff into them. I first noticed this when dumping a bag of dog food, but later tried coins, noodles, and I don't even remember what. Great raw material for lots of different sounds! (no longer have the bin, the dog figured out how to open it.)

16. garyhiebner

garyhiebner Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
  17. OP
    OP
    creativeforge

Yes I did, thanks, but a bit too hot for my reds right now, I like the idea of coming up with something new, on my own too. Great tips here!

18. lp59burst

lp59burst I'm just a "hobbyist"...

Sep 11, 2016
    SF Bay Area, USA
  19. Flaneurette

Flaneurette Active Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Bohemia
    With synthesizers, we can use FM synthesis to create vocal like sounds. As a sound designer I would suggest an even more simpler technique: grab a microphone and start growling. Then process it with resynthesis / wav re-synthesizer or a waveshaper which can load samples to shape them, and pitch it down.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  20. DSmolken

DSmolken Senior Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, Dehumaniser is very efficient and can be used to do batch processing and dub monster voices over video in real time, but if you're not regularly doing this and only need a few effects, it's overkill.