1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU's

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by fraz, Jan 11, 2018.

1. fraz

fraz Senior Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Hi,

Hope this is the best place to post about CPU questions!!!

What experience do the members here have of the 7800X? - No name calling please, eg this ones better than that one eg 8700K vs 7800X;)

I've got a 5820K or two that I'll use, now obselete but the here and now are always gone quite quickly looking back. Other members really do like their 5820's even if they like their "other" CPU's more!

6800K had 5-8% over the 5820K (other members report) - And the 7800X is supposed to have another "x" % over the 6800K - But I've not heard much from the other members yet on the 6 core 7800X - X299 was rush released and then problems on the motherboard heat sinks + the release of Coffee Lake has maybe watered down other peoples enthusiasm for the latest HEDT 6 core.

If anyone uses this for their VSTi sample based or not please chip in to share your experiences with this - thanks - :2thumbs:

2. Damarus

Damarus Composer n stuff

Nov 15, 2017
    Well honestly, why consider a 7800x when the 8700k is available?

upload_2018-1-12_12-4-9.png

heisenberg likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    fraz

fraz Senior Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Yes quite correct, the 8700 K is very good

4. OP
    OP
    fraz

fraz Senior Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Hi,

I've got one of each, vsti / sample banks etc... take a lot of power, some people may just get a 12 core which will cost over 1000.

Just found out that 7800X has AVX512 which may be some sort of future proof ??? (maybe not) but 8700 K does not have this.

Any real world uses from folks here please mention -thanks

5. Bill the Lesser

Bill the Lesser Senior Member

May 8, 2018
    Go for highest possible clock speed in a low wattage chip. It's probably best to not go over 14 total cores because of real time operating system issues with the current version of Windows 10, which may eventually be lifted. I'd go for the 8700X and a giant Noctua fan based heatsink, running at at whatever clock rate would keep it consistently under about 55C. Give 10 cores to your daw, let Kontakt share 4 of those, and leave 2 for other processes. I know that both Reaper and Cubase are set up for the efficient use of multicore CPUs, if you're using any other daw check to make sure it can benefit from multicores.

Don't use a Nvidia card unless you plan to use Premier for movie editing, it has an obtrusive driver problem which can force you to use large, laggy ASIO buffers. A medium level Radeon 570 or 580 video card is a good choice that will still allow good video editing performance and with proper bios tuning will let you use buffers down in the 64 to 128 element range which is optimal for fast keyboard playing. There are several cheap fanless video cards that would also work well, I'm not up on those however.

6. Sami

Sami The Undisclosing

Jul 23, 2017
    Undisclosed
    The 8700k is a sweet spot at the moment. It benefits from the lower latency of the 1151/370 platform as well meaning it punches slightly above its weight in comparison with some x299 chips.

chimuelo likes this.
  7. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Scrianinoff likes this.
  8. Scrianinoff

Scrianinoff Senior Member

Attached Files:

9. Scrianinoff

The 8700k reaches exactly the same polyphony of 800 as the 7820x at 64 samples:
    upload_2018-6-28_21-32-6.png

jdemary likes this.
  10. Scrianinoff

11. Sami

Sami The Undisclosing

Jul 23, 2017
    Undisclosed
    I think for the money the 8700k is hard to beat, especially if you screw any notion of "sensible", delid the little son of a bitch, smear her lovingly with liquid metal and then set her VRMs on fire with a 5.1 GHz OC.

I love the smell of burnt caps in the morning...

Scrianinoff likes this.
  12. Scrianinoff

I stopped at 4.7, no delid, no liquid metal, no noise and ... haha, no smell either.

If you factor in the cost of the rest of the system, I am not so sure the 8700k is more cost effective. The 7980 is for sure more noise effective.

13. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    This is a confirmed problem with Cubase. It is not really important in, say, Reaper (confirmed by Reaper devs - anticipative processing in Reaper is doing stuff in the background so those threads don't need MMCSS priority).