Covid-19: The Politics Oh The Politics Ooh Ooh Ooh

OP
Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf

Why are you so angry by the way?
Because people are dying horrible deaths all over the world FFS.

I'm a moderator and I'm reporting your post for discussion with the other mods. My feeling is that this crap shouldn't be spread around on this forum, but I'm not going to do that unilaterally.

Soundhound

Plus that job is already taken by the president of the united states. He's got the misinformation well in hand. Totally under control. He's on top of it!

I hope nobody believes this nonsense and decides it's perfectly fine to go out and kill people (and possibly themselves).

Covid-19 is exponentially more dangerous than the flu, we have no existing immunity (which is why it's called a *novel* coronovirus), the hospitalization rate is far higher, the hospitals are overwhelmed for that reason...

Please stop circulating lies about this extremely dangerous international pandemic. It is irresponsible.

pinki

I hope nobody believes this nonsense and decides it's perfectly fine to go out and kill people (and possibly themselves).

Covid-19 is exponentially more dangerous than the flu, we have no existing immunity (which is why it's called a *novel* coronovirus), the hospitalization rate is far higher, the hospitals are overwhelmed for that reason...

Please stop circulating lies about this extremely dangerous international pandemic. It is irresponsible.
No Nick I'm not circulating lies I'm linking to an article about statistics in a respected publication that I though was interesting, but whatever, you have your way.

Soundhound

Are you purposely not understanding the idea that people with underlying conditions are especially at risk?

Yes he's retired but that doesn't negate his experience. What he's trying to say as I understand it is that there are many more people infected with Covid-19 than we know and that many people who are dying are getting labelled as dying of Covid-19 when in fact they died of something else. This is an interesting point but it seems to produce extreme reaction in people like AEF who seems so angry that I think I'll move on as it's not possible to have a rational discusion round here.
Your point about doctors dying- yes I agree that is worrying.

Reactions: AEF

pinki

Because people are dying horrible deaths all over the world FFS.

I'm a moderator and I'm reporting your post for discussion with the other mods. My feeling is that this crap shouldn't be spread around on this forum, but I'm not going to do that unilaterally.
Wow censorship- may we live in enlightened times.

AEF

Pinki is the prime example of today’s uber narcissism, in which someone declares that any statement made is “a different point of view”.

its like saying “i dont think gravity exists, and im entitled to have a rational discussion with you about my false opinion or ill call you angry”.

There are certain truths that arent open for debate. The earth revolves around the sun, and covid is 10x more deadly than the flu.

AndyP

I think many things can be discussed, even controversial opinions. It is important to me that they remain at a level that is acceptable to everyone.
I have set a member on ignore because the way this person treats other people and people who think differently with an irreverent aggressiveness is unacceptable. But I made the decision, for me, because I don't want to read this nonsense anymore.

One should look at the flu in a differentiated way, even if many people die from it every year. There is a big difference between the flu and covid-19. There are very effective vaccines against the flu and the problem of the high letality is that there is not enough vaccination, especially since it is voluntary (which I consider a mistake).

There is not yet a vaccine against covid and this makes it dangerous, because health systems are not prepared for an additional highly contagious virus alongside the other known diseases.
A comparison of the types of deaths is therefore irrelevant, because the system is put under additional strain, which means that even the most common diseases cannot be treated to the extent necessary.

If then the lethality is many times higher with the same number of infections, then the system collapses under the load. This is exactly what is happening now and therefore it is absolutely right that measures such as lockdown and social distancing are observed.

Flatten the curve is no joke, it is essential to get the situation halfway under control.

AEF

I think many things can be discussed, even controversial opinions. It is important to me that they remain at a level that is acceptable to everyone.
I have set a member on ignore because the way this person treats other people and people who think differently with an irreverent aggressiveness is unacceptable. But I made the decision, for me, because I don't want to read this nonsense anymore.

One should look at the flu in a differentiated way, even if many people die from it every year. There is a big difference between the flu and covid-19. There are very effective vaccines against the flu and the problem of the high letality is that there is not enough vaccination, especially since it is voluntary (which I consider a mistake).

There is not yet a vaccine against covid and this makes it dangerous, because health systems are not prepared for an additional highly contagious virus alongside the other known diseases.
A comparison of the types of deaths is therefore irrelevant, because the system is put under additional strain, which means that even the most common diseases cannot be treated to the extent necessary.

If then the lethality is many times higher with the same number of infections, then the system collapses under the load. This is exactly what is happening now and therefore it is absolutely right that measures such as lockdown and social distancing are observed.

Flatten the curve is no joke, it is essential to get the situation halfway under control.
just out of curiosity: can 2 + 2 = 4 be debated?

numbers, science, and math arent up for debate.

Glagoliath

Wow censorship- may we live in enlightened times.
Let me draw it for you what bullshit you are reading, from the article:

The data on Covid-19 differs wildly from country to country. Look at the figures for Italy and Germany. At the time of writing, Italy has 69,176 recorded cases and 6,820 deaths, a rate of 9.9 per cent. Germany has 32,986 cases and 157 deaths, a rate of 0.5 per cent. Do we think that the strain of virus is so different in these nearby countries as to virtually represent different diseases? Or that the populations are so different in their susceptibility to the virus that the death rate can vary more than twentyfold? If not, we ought to suspect systematic error, that the Covid-19 data we are seeing from different countries is not directly comparable.

Look at other rates: Spain 7.1 per cent, US 1.3 per cent, Switzerland 1.3 per cent, France 4.3 per cent, South Korea 1.3 per cent, Iran 7.8 per cent.
We may very well be comparing apples with oranges.

The moron who wrote the article doesn't understand the most simple thing:
different country=different culture. He even starts with that in that paragraph and DOESN'T develops the idea around it.

In Italy a lot of families are organized in a way more traditional way where in houses are 3 generations: grandparents, parents and kids.

So, if you infect 70.000 of people where there is a higher concentration of families structured that way, that you'll have higher % of deaths.

Then you have different social behaviors, do people shake more hands with each other, do people kiss each other on cheeks and how much that is frequent in society which contributes or not to spread the virus.

IT'S NOT A ROCKET SCIENCE.

The average age of a person infected in Germany is 46, in Italy 63.
At the same time both Germany and Italy are the oldest nations in Europe, but you have completely different stats of death rates.

In Germany 80% of infected people are younger than 60.

Did that idiot showed demographics of infected people? NOPE.

Did he show you stats, the ages of infected people in those countries? NOPE.

The idiot just took the general number of infected people and deaths to make claims.

Do you see how much he's clueless?
Those people are dangerous because they are spreading misinformation that way because of their stupidity and people who don't have any fucking brains read that shit and start arguing with other people, because some so-called expert who has no brains whatsoever wrote some bullshit, nonsensical article.

What he's saying is NOT science, that's the whole point.
He's throwing numbers without any reasoning.

So, YES, he's comparing apples and oranges with his STUPIDITY.

Kony

Bad ape
Another calming article for you, this time from that fascist country Sweden (this from the BBC)
(yes AEF an alternative take, don't be scared)
[/URL]
Perhaps you could stop singling out particular members of the community - by the looks of it, there are actually a lot of us who are disappointed and angry with your posts urging people to ignore advice from the current medical community on the frontline, and not from retired fogies like the doc you quoted.

Soundhound

Then you're not being clear:

<<and that many people who are dying are getting labelled as dying of Covid-19 when in fact they died of something else.>>

These people did not die of something else. They had existing conditions which in combination with covid19 killed them. They died of a combination. You seem to be saying they should not be counted in the numbers of covid19 deaths.

I totally understand that and.. er ..that's my point. Those are the people who need protecting.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
You may not link any information that hasn’t been approved by State owned media, or wealthy Liberal billionaire owned media.

There must be a return to the flow of capital in China by showing the world that the Country that has unleashed multiple pandemics in the world is not to blame.

You must thank them for not killing millions, and only killing hundreds of thousands, then blame other nations leaders as wealthy Liberals need to get back to making money off of their investments in China.

Nick, can I still support developers and buy stuff here if Im censored?
That might be as honorable as the fake ignores.

OP
Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf

Gavin Newsom is our governor in California. He's stepping up.

This is only for people who would rather everyone they care about remain alive. The rest of you are free to shitpost dangerous and offensive lies.

1585688904668.png

G.R. Baumann

Covid-19 statistics are not as clear cut as the media are making out. It is not armageddon, just a disaster. The number of people dying due to Covid-19 specifically is actually very hard to plot and the number of people with Covid 19 is unknown.
It is a natural disaster.

It would seem every country now has it's very own Dr. Lee-Ex-Yadayada, not astonishing though.

Tsunami incoming!

Dr. Yadayada: Yeah but why evacuate your place when earthquakes kill yadayada million people every year, and while we are at it, yadayada, did the model consider distance to neptun at the precise time and correct for gravitational pull, they just do not know how high the wave will be ,3ft, 6ft, 8ft, they just do not know, and earthquakes & volcano erruptions kill more people every year than yadayada...

In Germany his name is Dr. W. Woodarg, and he also is an Ex in such and such position, waving with his credentials and presenting to the public the same bullshit, with the very same critique and flawed conclusions as your Dr. Lee does.

Lee is a similar caliber, and l see many congruent details, in the way it is presented, the style etc. Coincidence? Perhaps, perhaps not.

While Woodarg was identified to the greater public as misleading after a short while, it would appear this job still has to be done concerning your own Dr. Lee, for the good of the greater public.

That being said, I question the editor in chief's ability to identify this as misleading, and his team should have picked up on that as well and reject to publish this written diarrhea, especially in times like these.

Last edited:

G.R. Baumann

It is a phenomenon. In crisis situations as we just experience, the know-it-all and the preach-down-all-day quickly are center stage.

True knowledge is out there as well, for everyone to access, and thankfully that still is a very good aspect of the Internet.

Sorry if that was posted here before perhaps, I haven't been around in years on VIC, and just read a few posts.

Contrary to Dr Yadayada, Vincent is most certainly one I can highly recommend!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Racaniello

Check out the past episodes on TWiV. All interesting and excellent, the one from Mar 28th with Ian Lipkin is truly remarkable for many reasons.

Last edited: