What's new

Cornucopia strings polyphonic legato versus others autodivisi?

Jazzaria

Fresh Libre Music
What with the current sale I'm eyeing Cornucopia strings a bit, and am hoping to better understand the polyphonic legato patches. I get that they do some smart voice leading, but am wondering how specifically they compare to the more commonly labeled "autodivisi" or "divisi-live" features of other products (LASS, NI Symphonic Series, Kirk Hunter, etc.).

Will polyphonic legato similarly keep a balanced number of voices regardless of # of notes played? And does "in full octaves" mean it will always have the different sections in parallel octaves? And lastly, is the presence of only one articulation (con sordino) for the polyphonic legato much of a limitation, or is it pretty flexible/tweakable?

Thanks!

Saxer

Cornucopia is an ensemble library (no single instrument sections except basses) and the legatos are not recorded transitions but somehow tricky scripted. It's really well done and it doesn't sound artificial. You could fool me anytime with it. This script works polyphonic as well but it doesn't divide full sections in two smaller ones if you play two notes. It's a bit like the workflow of Adventure Strings and I like the sound. I'd love to have separate sections (also with the this scripted legato)! Can't remember which but one of the articulations (trills?) is not looped and really short.

Syneast

Like Saxer said, the sections are baked together. However, it's a small ensemble (I think 6 violins) so you could load three instances of the same patch and use the transpose trick to get a symphonic sized ensemble (18 violins) that you can then play divisi lines with, either manually or with a divisi script of choice.

Strezov

@Saxer - to be absolutely precise, the bonus material (Legato_High / Legato_Low) actually are recorded with true legato technique - and allows for polyphonic playing. I personally like the low basses&celli in octaves... and you can definitely hear the intervals. Just something new we did back then when we decided to upgrade the library and to offer something additional as a bonus, and of course to make some recording tests.

There is no divisi feature though.

Saxer

@Saxer - to be absolutely precise, the bonus material (Legato_High / Legato_Low) actually are recorded with true legato technique - and allows for polyphonic playing. I personally like the low basses&celli in octaves... and you can definitely hear the intervals. Just something new we did back then when we decided to upgrade the library and to offer something additional as a bonus, and of course to make some recording tests.
Oh yes, sorry, I completely forgot the octaves legatos! I was talking about the legato switch for the ensemble... and I really like that!

Top Bottom