What's new

Cool delay effect - how is it done?

muk

Hello everyone,

can anybody help me figuring out how this delay-effect shown here can be achieved?

Sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately I'm no good with sound effects. So I don't know how you would go about to create such an effect with Cubase integrated delay, for example. Any help is appreciated.

Pause the video, you can see almost everything going on - and duct tape whatever reverbs you need to create effects like that.

Or just save up 50$ and buy that delay, since it's a powerful delay.

Reactions: muk
You would need a delay-processor that's capable of reversing the delayed signal (and adding some pitch-shifting to the feedback path, I assume). That's something introduced in the early days by Eventide's Harmonizers; the effect was often called "chrystallizing", due to the perceived "coldness" and surreality the effect created.

My personal first call for effects like that is Soundtoys' Chrystallizer plug-in (... big surprise! ;-D ...):

-> https://www.soundtoys.com/product/crystallizer/

Dietz, I'm missing the reference - did you do some work for soundtoys?

I knew you worked on MIR, just assumed you were a VSL employee

Oh! I'm neither an VSL employee nor did I work for Soundtoys (although that would be tempting!). My - obviously misleading - pun simply referred to the more-than-obvious reference in the plug-in's name to its preferred application. :)

Thank you guys. Reversing the delay signal and pitch shifting are great hints. I'll experiment with the tools I have to see how close I can get before spending 50 bucks for one preset.

Oh! I'm neither an VSL employee nor did I work for Soundtoys (although that would be tempting!). My - obviously misleading - pun simply referred to the more-than-obvious reference in the plug-in's name to its preferred application. :)
r/whooooosh

But you did work on MIR

Huh, this takes us OT now; but for the sake of completeness: Yes, MIR is my baby, so to speak (... I came up with the original idea and the GUI concept). I also set up some of the earlier Vienna Instrument recordings, like Appassionata Strings or Konzerthaus Organ, and created thousands of presets for Vienna Suite, MIR and MIRx - but all of that as a freelancing audio engineer who actually mixes music for a living. :) (... as an example: This would be one of the most recent releases I mixed: -> https://www.worldofhanszimmer.com )

Top Bottom