1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convolution reverb plugin - what to buy?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by SimonViklund, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:43 AM.

1. noisyblocks

noisyblocks Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I can't tell if 7th Heaven does everything that Reverberate 2 does What I particularly like about Reverberate 2 is simultaneous 2x stereo IRs and LFO's for controlling panning/balance.

Anyone know of other convo/non-convo reverbs that offer LFO or other controls over the reverb? (I used to think FabFilter pro-R was one to get but now it seems rather 1-dimensional...)

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  2. Heroix

Heroix Senior Member

Dec 15, 2014
    yes they are. seventh heaven is closest to an m7 you can get with a plugin and vsr s24 is the best algo reverb i have heard so far.

seventh heaven uses a new fusion engine and does also a better job than reverberate 2 did.

you wont be disapointed ;)

3. Heroix

Heroix Senior Member

Dec 15, 2014
    if you like reverberate 2 - you will love seventh heaven. try the demo and take a listen. it sounds quite alot better to my ears.

noisyblocks likes this.
  4. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I own reverberate 2 and demo'ed Seventh Heaven, but still like Spaces, Altiverb, the PCM reverb bundle better. SH didn't have the natural room qualities of the M7 (a little too synthetic sounding) which is why I would have bought it. The PCM reverb is the closest I can find to my Lexicon hardware (which still kicks a**)- and that includes the LX480. I just like saving reverb with the session. :)

bly likes this.
  5. Leon Portelance

Leon Portelance Composer

Jan 2, 2017
    Corning, California
    I use Altiverb as my main reverb, I also have QL Spaces, Waves H-Reverb, IR1 and Abbey Road Plates. I think I am covered.

Sibelius19 and bly like this.
  6. bly

bly New Member

Nov 21, 2015
    I started off with QL Spaces but in recent projects have been trying out the UAD Lexicon 224 and Lexicon PCM Large Hall for my orchestral tail 'glue', which I really like but, in my opinion, gives it a very different colour and flavour.

I've always liked the sound of the TC Electronic VSS 3 verbs but have never owned a hardware version- am going to try out Relab's VSR24, which from the demos I've heard on youtube, are really stunning:

Do check out the video by Spitfire:

They demo quite a few different verbs as well, including aforementioned Lexicon PCM Native, TC Electronic VSS3 Plug-ins etc.

Of course it has to be mentioned, if you can afford it, to try out the hardware versions as well (Lexicon PCM 92 and TC Electronic Reverb 400/TC Electronic M3000), this video shows a great use of the PCM92:

Hope that helps!

7. musicalweather

musicalweather Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I have to pipe in with a vote for SIR2. Very transparent and works very well for orchestral instruments. Digital Performer's ProVerb is also excellent.

Robo Rivard likes this.
  8. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:19 PM
  9. Robo Rivard

Robo Rivard Senior Member

May 11, 2016
    Yes, SIR2 (64bits) has been my friend for quite a long time. It would be nice to see a serious benchmark comparing all IR products. But right now, I'm personally more involved into comparing my Valhalla collection with Breeze 2... and I like what I hear! I'm very ambiguous between IR and algorithm.

sostenuto and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  10. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Seriously reviewing Demo !! Is Breeze 2 available now for purchase?

11. Robo Rivard

May 11, 2016
    A question for everyone: what do you think of the IR Reverb module in Kontakt 5?... Should we use it?... Should we turn it OFF?... Do you systematically use outboard reverbs?...

12. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Thank-you ! My oversight … seeing earlier 'Pre-release page. Looks well worth exploring.

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  13. brek

brek Member

Oct 30, 2016
    REVerence with the Burcasti Vienna Hall IR. Finally got something I can just slather on all my instruments when using the close mics and not feel like I'm missing something.

Would spending $30 on Waves IR-1 bring anything new to the table?

14. Robo Rivard

May 11, 2016
    I bought the pre-released version when it got out around Christmas time, and I already got a free update. I didn't know what to expect, since I already owned algorithmic reverbs like Valhalla's, but I'm pretty impressed so far.

The past few weeks, I've been trying to make multis in Kontak 5 out of my favorite old libraries (AKAI days), that were mainly close miked. I never got good results at resurrecting them with IR reverbs. OK, it was suggesting a realistic place, but the sound was always lifeless. In comparison, dialing in any preset from Breeze 2, everything got a brand new life, in a brand new space. I can really feel "the air" around the instrument.

15. noisyblocks

noisyblocks Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I've used it to great effect, though not for *actual* reverb...more for FX and such. I still think Logic's Space Designer convolution is very good and use it often.

16. noisyblocks

noisyblocks Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I watched video demos for both but I'm not seeing the same functionality shared between them. Despite R2's cluttered UI, it seems to have more controls than I can find in even SH Professional.

The LFO knob top-left, and control over IR1/IR2 are pretty interesting (I'm more interested in unusual verbs than room emulation for orch). I'll probably download the SH demo but just wondered about basically functionality--I can't find any mention of these on their product page for SH (just regular mixing/tail stuff).

[​IMG]

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  17. Andrew Souter

Andrew Souter Senior Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Hi Guys,

A user in this thread asked me a question via email regarding Early Reflection & Late Reflection balance in Breeze 2, how this compares to Aether, and how it can be used for stage positioning as it applies to VI scoring instruments...

Since I see various other posts here about Breeze 2, i'll post my full answer here below in case it's helpful...

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  18. Andrew Souter

Andrew Souter Senior Member

Mar 18, 2009
    If you intend to use another instance of Breeze 2 on sends to supply a global tail for a bunch of instruments, there is almost no reason to do so, IF (!!!) the tail you intend to use matches the general size/type of the instances you are using for ERs. The reason is simply, you won't save any CPU usage to do so, and if you load multiple instances of the same preset for each instrument, each instance of the same preset will be ever so slightly different which will add even more realism -- just as every performer seat in the violin section would give a different resulting IR at some fixed mic position on a real stage.

The only thing you should be aware of is that you should try to do panning PRE-Breeze if you are using it on an insert. This means the DAW should support post-fader, post-pan, inserts. If it does not, then you should try to do panning with some 3rd party plug inserted before Breeze. Basically you don't want to pan the tail if you want to be completely natural.

And of course if you want to have a completely different tail paired with shorter "ER-type" presets, (say for example you want some huge special FX cinematic effect to use occasionally for some dramatic hits/impacts) then of course you can put another completely different Breeze instance (or Aether or B2) on a send and share it among multiple tracks, sure.

Some modes of Breeze 2 (chamber, plate, and colored) can get so dense that there is really very little distinction between it and convolution at this point actually. Basically we have all the benefits of convolution, but we retain all the benefits of being purely algorithmic as well.

19. shomynik

shomynik Senior Member

Aug 29, 2016
    There quite a few editing possibilities in SH Pro, look it up. But the best thing about SH are new M7 IRs which are made specifically for the SH. ERs and tails are separated, as well as low freq signal. Plus multiple impulses of the same m7 preset but with different tail durations. Gold!

noisyblocks and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  20. Rob

Rob Senior Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I think so... it has many ways to modify and taylor the impulses. Change its start point. length, amplitude envelope, room’s dimension, L/R decorrelation, compensate latency, separate levels for direct signal/er/tail, early refl. buildup, 4 bands eq, huge library of IRs, both true stereo and stereo, and of course ability to import external irs... I have no relation to Waves by the way, not trying to sell the product, I honestly think it’s a high quality convo reverb and a bargain at this price