What's new

Converting files online using CloudConvert.com

Tatiana Gordeeva

Long time member
Let me relate my recent experience using a cloud (online) file converter, in this case https://cloudconvert.com/

They convert audio, video and other types of files from one format to another and offer many options for each conversion.
E.g. for audio they offer the following formats:

1614229735189.png
For video they have even more options. Now on to my own case...

I had to convert a one-hour 4K video from mkv (10GB) to mp4 to be able to use it in Adobe Premiere Pro.
My current PC could do it in 2.5 hours using Movavi, the fastest converter I know and have access to.
My new build will be able to do it much faster (5X) when ready (hopefully next week). :cool:

So I checked online converters. CloudConvert.com charges US$8 for 500 minutes of conversion. No time limit on credits to respect.
They can be used anytime, they don't expire. They can convert between hundreds of file formats, not just video.

From the site: "CloudConvert is an online file converter. We support nearly all audio, video, document, ebook, archive, image, spreadsheet, and presentation formats."

At my present 60 mbps internet upload speed (slow currently, normally 980 mbps upload) it took 20 minutes to upload to their server in Germany. I'm in Canada.

Now the conversion part. I guess the time it takes depends on their server load. I started it at 21:45 EST (so middle of the night in Munich) and finally it took about 2 hours and consumed 107 minutes of my 500 minutes credits for a cost of about

107 / 500 * US$8 = US$1.72 for a 1-hour 4K video conversion from MKV to MP4. Pretty cheap!

Not faster than doing it locally but not bad, considering that it unloaded my own CPU during those 2 hours.
Conclusion: recommended. I would use it again.

Do you have experience with other such services? Please tell us about it below...

Mkv and mp4 are containers so you could probably switch containers (a.k.a convert the format) using something like ffmpeg without having to reencode the video, such a conversion takes a few minutes rather than hours.

UPDATE: OK, I finally did it using VLC. Duh! I used to do it this way, even a few weeks ago! Duh!! :blush:Just never did it before in 4K.

Anyway, it took 10 minutes to repack a one-hour 4K video from MKV to MP4 @ 60fps HDD to HDD on my soon-to-be-old PC using VLC. I could have used SSDs or even NVMe but that would not be fair :cool:

I also downloaded the latest ffmpeg build but was looking for the best Windows GUI to run it. Any idea?

I also downloaded the latest ffmpeg build but was looking for the best Windows GUI to run it. Any idea?
VLC uses ffmpeg for some conversions, I'm not sure what options it provides though. I always just use the command line for simple conversions. There are also tools such as Handbrake which use ffmpeg but I don't think it has a convert option without re-encoding.

Lossless cut might be a good option, it's designed for slicing video files without re-encoding but I think if you just export from it without making cuts it will also work. https://www.mifi.no/losslesscut/

UPDATE2: Command line ffmpeg took about 3 minutes but, given how deep my folder structure was, what a pain in the... neck! Call me spoiled by GUIs :rolleyes:

UPDATE2: Command line ffmpeg took about 3 minutes but, given how deep my folder structure was, what a pain in the... neck! Call me spoiled by GUIs :rolleyes:
You can copy/paste the path from explorer to save a bit of time, or even just drag the video file onto the terminal window which should insert the full path. You might have to wrap it in " " if it has spaces.

Top Bottom