What's new

Control the amount of one CC changes value

KiLa

Hi all, first post on the forum so go easy with me :)

I'm trying to find a way to control the amount of one MIDI CC changes value.

Consider this: add white noise and then Comb filter with resonance at 99.5. At this level, the resonance value is extremely sensitive, so I would like to control it with one of the knobs in my MIDI controller. But the problem is that when falcon receives CC 0, resonance is set to 0 and with CC 127 to 100%.

Question: is there a way to specify that CC 0 would be 99.5 and CC 127 would be 99.7..ish? So basically I would like to find a way to map those 128 different CC message between certain values, in my case, between 99.5 and 99.7.

I contacted to UVI support but I guess they didn't understand my question :D because that conversation didn't lead any solution.

Cheers
-k

Hi all, first post on the forum so go easy with me :)

I'm trying to find a way to control the amount of one MIDI CC changes value.

Consider this: add white noise and then Comb filter with resonance at 99.5. At this level, the resonance value is extremely sensitive, so I would like to control it with one of the knobs in my MIDI controller. But the problem is that when falcon receives CC 0, resonance is set to 0 and with CC 127 to 100%.

Question: is there a way to specify that CC 0 would be 99.5 and CC 127 would be 99.7..ish? So basically I would like to find a way to map those 128 different CC message between certain values, in my case, between 99.5 and 99.7.

I contacted to UVI support but I guess they didn't understand my question :D because that conversation didn't lead any solution.

Cheers
-k
Hi @KiLa, yes, there is a way to do adjust how much the modwheel affects a parameter. And to have it affect different parameters to different degrees (and in different direction, if desired).

The important thing is not to midi learn the parameter, but to assign it the modwheel. The same way you would assign an LFO, or envelope, etc., 'Modulation Wheel' crops up as an option on one of the menus. This creates a modulation module for the modwheel, and you should find a dial on that for amount. adjusting this alters how much the modwheel adjusts the parameter, and the direction.

If you assign another parameter to the modwheel that you should get another modulation block and another dial to adjust.

If that doesn't help, I can check when I have Falcon open and maybe explain it better, with screen shots.

Oh, and welcome to VI-Control! A wonderful forum for discussing virtual instruments, music, music making, and, for some reason, legato a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

Hi @Bee_Abney and thank you for the quick reply.

I tried what You suggested but... What I did:

1. Add noise osc
2. Add comb filter to layer and set its Resonance to 99.5%
3. Right click Resonance and select Add modulation -> Modulation wheel

OK, now I have a empty modulation thingy at the bottom of the Falcon UI... And then I'm lost :D - how can I use one of the knobs (Not Mod wheel - my controller doesn't have mod wheel :D) to control the Resonance parameter and set the range and step size?!?!

I attached the Falcon multi - remove the '.txt' extension!

-k

Attachments

• noise_and_comb.uvim.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi @Bee_Abney and thank you for the quick reply.

I tried what You suggested but... What I did:

1. Add noise osc
2. Add comb filter to layer and set its Resonance to 99.5%
3. Right click Resonance and select Add modulation -> Modulation wheel

OK, now I have a empty modulation thingy at the bottom of the Falcon UI... And then I'm lost :D - how can I use one of the knobs (Not Mod wheel - my controller doesn't have mod wheel :D) to control the Resonance parameter and set the range and step size?!?!

I attached the Falcon multi - remove the '.txt' extension!

-k
You need to assign the knob to CC1. Once that is done, that knob will control that parameter (to the extent that you've set for it).

But I've just checked, and looks like I was wrong about midi learning. You can just midi learn to any knob (any CC). Then, click (left click on PC) on the knob image inside Falcon, and then below you should see the External Midi CC X (whichever CC it was). Once again, you have the little dial to set the amount and direction.

To see this, make sure that you are displaying modulation options. At the top right of the Effects window in Falcon is an image like a bar graph and an image of a keyboard. The first toggles the modulation/automation display and the latter the keyboard display.

Below are some screenshots. The two of them show two different parameters, with different control amounts, assigned to CC1. The other one shows Resonance assigned to CC4.

Drive CC1.png
Resonance CC4.png Cutoff CC1.png

Last edited:
OK, but how do we set the value range? When Falcon receives CC X with value 0, it sets resonance to 0.0%. See the image: MIDI monitor displays the messages that S1 received and in the Falcon UI you can se the result in Resonance parameter which is MIDI learned. MIDI CC 32 with value 5 sets resonance to 3.94% but I'm trying to find a solution where it would be 99.525 or something.

Attachments

• cc.png
    cc.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 1
OK, but how do we set the value range? When Falcon receives CC X with value 0, it sets resonance to 0.0%. See the image: MIDI monitor displays the messages that S1 received and in the Falcon UI you can se the result in Resonance parameter which is MIDI learned. MIDI CC 32 with value 5 sets resonance to 3.94% but I'm trying to find a solution where it would be 99.525 or something.
There is no numerical display, just combined amount and direction slider. A little experimentation by ear should get you what you want.

You are talking about modulation amount slider above the modulation..panel? Yes, I can use that to limit the amount one CC message changes the value, but, to my understanding, I cannot specify the minimum value: MIDI CC 32 with value 0 will always be 0.0. Using the slider, I can specify how much MIDI CC 32 with value 1 changes the controlled parameter, but since the..'countdown' start from 0, I'm back with the original problem/question: how do I set the minimum value.

You are talking about modulation amount slider above the modulation..panel? Yes, I can use that to limit the amount one CC message changes the value, but, to my understanding, I cannot specify the minimum value: MIDI CC 32 with value 0 will always be 0.0. Using the slider, I can specify how much MIDI CC 32 with value 1 changes the controlled parameter, but since the..'countdown' start from 0, I'm back with the original problem/question: how do I set the minimum value.
You do that with the parameter knob itself. You are using the CC to move it from the amount dialed in.

Doesn't seem to work for me: after I have MIDI learned the parameter and I wiggle the knob, value is modified and if I then reset the value to 99.5 and then wiggle the knob again, value is set to 1..ish, meaning that the value is not an offset - its an absolute value. Am I missing something here? Is there an option that specifies how MIDI learned values behave?!?!

There is a offset slider!!! I'm so nooob :D

So there are two sliders :D - left one can be used for controlling the amount the value changes and right one is the offset.

I'm so stupid! Thank you @Bee_Abney

Attachments

• sliders.png
    sliders.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom