What's new

Contract with a songwriter/singer

Manaberry

Hi,

I'm planning to do something I've never done before, and I want to do it right.
I've found someone really awesome and we planned to work together on a track. She's an amazing songwriter and singer and she will handle the songwriting and the singer's performance record. I will be in charge of the music composition, production, mixing/mastering and the promotion of the piece.

We agreed on a fair split, but my distributor told me that I will have to take care of the payment of the share each month. Like, forever.
Is there any way to have this thing automated? What would be the best type of contract for such a song featuring a vocal artist?

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!

I don't understand. If you are co-writers, then you each get paid your share by the distributor. You would only be paid all of it if you agreed to do it that way, or you were the Publisher. What exactly did the distributor say? In what capacity are they paying you?

The distributor does not want to do the split. They want me to do it on my own after I get the full payment.

The distributor does not want to do the split. They want me to do it on my own after I get the full payment.
You are talking about license or sync payments made to the distributor for placements maybe? Not sure. If you're referring to royalties made from the track the distributor pretty much has to list whoever you tell them to list as the writer's share.

Sorry for the delay, I was on the move.

You are talking about license or sync payments made to the distributor for placements maybe? Not sure. If you're referring to royalties made from the track the distributor pretty much has to list whoever you tell them to list as the writer's share.

I'm talking about the payment from the royalties made by the track on streaming apps and stuff.
They just told me I have to manage that on my end. So basically, I would get 100 and then split on my end 50/50 and so the payment to the singer. I do not see myself doing that for years, to be honest. I thought that process was handled on their end.

Other service seems to have a split feature. I don't know why my distributor does not have this feature yet jeez.

Top Bottom