Continuata Connect problem - help -- SOLVED

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by mac, Oct 21, 2016.

1. mac

mac Guest

Edit: Solved - There was a folder in *user/library/applicationsupport that I missed, so deleted that and now I can start fresh. Still complete junk software though.

Edit 2: I spoke to Continuata, and they were really helpful (although the issue is still a mystery), so I feel a bit bad venting. I stand by my views though, it (connect) needs some work. The concept is great, but my heart sinks every time I see I have to use it.

I have a real problem where the software was continually corrupting my downloads, and I've deleted all the parts to try and start again, but connect assumes Ive already downloaded half the parts.

I've tried deleting logs, plist files and the app itself, but it always tries to restart from half way through the download. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make a clean start?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  2. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I've started to use only manual links, and then using 7-zip for unzipping the rars. Connect always causes problems for me.

3. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Strange, I've never had a problem with connect and quite like it for distribution. The only thing I wish they would do is give you an account where you can store your download codes and bring them up if you ever need to re-download a library.

4. Yup ... new downloader nearly done. Fixes a bunch of issues with the old one and lets you have all your products in one place when you add the codes. The next step after this is a login based one that pulls all your purchases from all Continuata vendors based on validated email addresses. But we need to make sure the new downloader is rock-solid first and obviously better than the last one before throwing in the extra features. There will be an "install all" button on the home page which will download and install all uninstalled products sequentially. Will also allow you to queue up installs, for those times you want to leave it overnight getting a bunch of stuff without the babysitting.

Will be looking for Beta testers soon, and welcome any sensible suggestions for features. (that aren't just "make it not suck"). I will probably add an optional overlay in the download view to show progress of individual files for those who care. This one has a much better pause/resume method and will even allow resume of files started on a different machine. Let me know if you're interested in trying it out when it's ready.

Stu

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 14.06.27.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 14.06.48.png

5. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Fantastic! One thing I'd consider at this point is allowing a user to add multiple emails to the account for historical purposes (I've had to switch what email I use with companies a few times and it would be good to have all my licenses on one account rather than many) and picking a main one that you use for the company to send emails. Absolutely interested in testing it for you. Great work, Stu.

6. good to hear.
    Yes I've already developed the functionality for that (I'm just not including it in the first version) ... I'm a composer myself, so most of the frustrations with Connect I've encountered myself ... I've been working for the last 2 years on the best way to improve Connect, it's been a long haul; but this new approach is definitely the best way forward.
    There are a couple of bugs in the current Connect that couldn't be fixed without a rewrite, so I've taken the opportunity to try and get all the feedback and experience from the last 6 years and do something that's going to be what people really need (me included).
    But the number one priority is it's got to be totally robust, on every network (in every country), on every machine, with different OS versions, with different libraries (we can't control the format the vendors put out their libraries, so have to be able to cater for lots of scenarios) ... and it's got to be as fast as it can possibly be.
    Connect has a few tricks up its sleeve for squeezing speed out of networks and duping Internet Service Providers into not throttling the download speed for large files (which they like to do). We also have built in error detection and correction (which you won't notice), that fixes problems introduced as they occur by redownloading corrupt chunks of files instead of the whole file.

Anyway ... thought I'd get more involved on here, as VI seems to be the place people come to complain about stuff going wrong, instead of contacting me directly (on support@continuta.com) ... if you hear people are having issues get them to use that.
    I'll post the Beta up when it's ready to be played with.

7. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Thanks for being more involved with the community here as well. Hopefully the issues people have been having will get hashed out and discussion helps you develop an even more awesome platform. :)

8. byzantium

byzantium Active Member

Tip for anyone experiencing Connect problems - it may not solve it, but it did for me: even if you have Connect already, make sure you have / download the latest version.

My problem was Connect would not install the files after downloading them - it just hung there. If this happens to you, if you press Shift in Connect, the green download button changes to a red 'Reset' button (which sounds a bit alarming), but if you press it, it will install the files that were previously downloaded (at least it did for me).

This trick didn't work with my older version of Connect, only with the latest version (currently 3.2.4).

whiskers, ReelToLogic and Fleer like this.
  9. Fleer

Fleer No Reward, No Compensation

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    I believe the 'reset' button also allows you to install the files that were not previously downloaded.

ReelToLogic and byzantium like this.
  10. kurtvanzo

kurtvanzo Capt. Zorro

Anyone tried this newest version? Was just downloading using most current version thinking it could use an update, then this thread pops up. :)

11. Shad0wLandsUK

Shad0wLandsUK Senior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    London, UK
    I would certainly like to be involved in beta testing this :D

Love my Heavyocity products and Output, so I will always be using Connect :)

12. Michael Antrum

Michael Antrum Only the good die young....

I had a really weird problem connect on my iMac 5k i7. It kept stopping and when you paused and resumed the download the progress bar would drop for something like 82 to 23 percent every time. I tried Carl clicking pin donwnload, but still had problems.

I then moved over to my old Mac Pro 4,1 cheese grater and Tim did everything perfectly.

Go figure !

There was a bit of bad language as I had spent nearly a day trying to download a 3gb file - but all well in the end. If the iMac were my only machine I would have been well peeved.

13. catsass

catsass Señor Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Sorry about bringing an old thread back to life, but...any movement on this?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  14. Fleer

Fleer No Reward, No Compensation

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Yep. Wazzup with the beta?

15. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Hey @continuata here's a question - why can't I get Connect to go above 18 - 19 Mbps, even on a stupidly fast fiber connection?

Am I hitting the limit of the server that's hosting the data, some throttling from my ISP or another upstream gateway, or the the App itself possibly throttling? What do ya think?

Hey, all vi-controllers, what's the fastest dowload speed you've gotten out of Connect?

(I'm downloading Orchestral Tools stuff if it matters)

16. chillbot

chillbot Sock Muppet

Feb 6, 2014
    La Canada Flintridge, CA
    I routinely get about 105/110 Mbps, which is about exactly as fast as my current internet speed via any generic speed test. Can't remember the last time I downloaded anything from OT though...

EDIT: Just for fun I just tried re-downloading Ark3 from OT and it's buzzing along at 109/110 Mbps. Not sure if that info helps you to troubleshoot.

17. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I thought a new version was coming of the program as well? I routinely have it close randomly while trying to download things on the current version.

18. chillbot

chillbot Sock Muppet

Feb 6, 2014
    La Canada Flintridge, CA
    I just let a few random products download for a couple minutes each and they were all consistently 109/110 Mbps. OT Ark3, Embertone Walker, Heavyocity Forzo, and Keepforest AizerX. Don't know if this info helps. But I would go mad if I was only able to get 18-19 Mbps.... good luck!

19. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Oh my god I am going to go crazy at 19Mbps! Glad to hear it's not the fault of Connect or the Orchestral Tools servers.

My current fiber speed is quoted at 50Mbps, and this week they are swapping out all the hardware (ONT box, modem/router) to allow upgrading me to 150, with a possible further bump to 300 and beyond once the hardware swap is complete and they can do a line test.

But when I do online speed tests (using that Ookla site) it shows a little above 50 - like 54-56 Mbps. I wonder if that Ookla site is not actually pulling the data at that speed, but rather using some tricks to estimate the speed, and therefore not telling the whole truth.

I am also using a pretty old Apple Airport Extreme as the first link in my chain. (It's the old 802.11n model). But since my download machines are connected via Cat5 and not WiFi, I (foolishly) didn't think that would be a problem. My wiring looks like this:

Fiber modem / router LAN port out > Cat5 cable > Airport Extreme (802.11n model) WAN port in > Airport LAN port out > Cat5 cable > Netgear Gigabit switch > Cat5 cable > Mac.

Could that janky old Airport be the bottleneck, even for a wired connection? I thought it was all Gigabit throughput for the wired connections...

Maybe I make my daily trip down to Fry's Electronics and grab a better Airport (one of the last, now-discontinued models with 802.11ac), or a Velop or Eero setup.

Kevin Fortin likes this.
  20. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    I have just bought and downladed Berlin WW. App. 157 GB. Average speed 18-28 Mbps, mostly 23-24 Mbps. But doing installation, when it is nearly done installing rar 07, it says error and starts downloading rar 07 again. This goes on over and over. So expensive software and can’t even install it
    :confused::confused::confused:

Lode_Runner likes this.