What's new

Concerto Piccolo for Accordion and Chamber Orchestra (part 1and 2)

Jos Wylin

Music is the Language of the World
This is the right time to present the first part of my Concerto Piccolo for accordion/bayan and chamber orchestra. It is (once more) my intention to highlight this beautiful and rich instrument as a full and worthy concert instrument next to the other more familiar ones. Far too often the accordion is appreciated as a street or folk instrument with limited possibilities, but this couldn't be more wrong. Mainly in the Russian area there are hundreds of real virtuosos on the bayan (Russian button accordion) who play the most difficult classical pieces with all the voices! They have a lot of high quality composers who wright contemporary music fo the bayan.
But my concerto was designed for intermediate level students who want to show their talent on stage with a small orchestra (cost!).

Part 1: Allegro Divertente

OP
Jos Wylin

Jos Wylin

Hi,
The accordion is the Ilya Efimov bayan (right and left hand); the chamber orchestra has only VSL instruments (strings, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn), situated in the Teldex Studio, Berlin (reduced size).
For this piece, I needed an accordion with a left and right discant (two keyboard on which you can play all pitches to play complete counterpoint with both hands). That is impossible on a normal accordion, which has only a right hand discant and a bass/chord side left. The Efimov bayan was the best sounding choice, although very limited in its playability as a midi-instrument (e.g. no velocity response) and the CC11 (expression) is a 'volume' setting. That means that it is logarithmic (the higher the volume, the faster it augments, which makes it nearly impossible to finetune the expression at higher volumes).
I hope this will do as an explanation.
Happy New Year!
Jos

Rob J Kennedy

Good orchestration, and you are right. The accordion is an instrument we don't hear enough of. Everytime I see someone playing one, I think wow, that looks difficult, are they?

Was this recorded in a studio on real instruments? Because the sound quality is excellent.

I reckon, that classical musics loves would love this piece.

Cheers

rob

OP
Jos Wylin

Jos Wylin

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply.
There are actually lots of prejudices about the modern accordion. For most people it remains the simple folk instrument to cheer up popular balls and parties. Of course there's much more and that exactly is my point.
Here it's not a real accordion, but the virtual Efimov Bayan.
Let's hope that classical music lovers will embrace the instrument one day as a full featured classical instrument.
Jos

OP
Jos Wylin

Jos Wylin

This is the second part of my little accordion concerto. The main theme is based on a Russian/Ukranian folksong (Stepon). The tempo is rather slow to give the soloist maximum opportunity for expressive and emotional interpretation.

Same ensemble and solo instrument as in part I.

Concerto Piccolo for accordion and chamber orchestra, part II: Andante assai

Jos

Last edited:
Top Bottom