What's new

Concerto Accompaniment w/ VSTs

trigalg693

Hi everyone, people on Pianoworld told me to check here. 5 years ago I made my own accompaniment for the first 2 movements of Rachmaninoff's 1st piano concerto, but didn't do the 3rd movement because there are a lot more instruments (some of which don't have good approximations on my digital piano).

I'm looking to pay someone to make the last 2 minutes of the 3rd movement's orchestra accompaniment, money shouldn't be an issue. It doesn't really need to be broken down into all the separate instruments, as I find the "strings" and "chamber winds" on my Roland keyboard to be perfectly adequate approximations most of the time. I can't get a good sound for loud brass instruments, and I don't have libraries to do percussion. The melodic phrases in the violins also don't need to be custom humanized and expressive, I'm okay with something automated like NotePerformer 3.

I recorded the piano part and am still editing it, should be done within the next few days. I guess the way this works is I send you the recorded piano part of the end so you know my tempo and how I'm pacing the accelerando. Here is the score for reference: https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/24804/hfai

Interesting to know that there could be a market for "music minus one" for concertos. It seems that you are not doing this for a public performance though. Out of curiosity, what is your use case?

Interesting to know that there could be a market for "music minus one" for concertos. It seems that you are not doing this for a public performance though. Out of curiosity, what is your use case?
I'm trying to finish this (I didn't do the 3rd movement because a lot of the instruments aren't really possible to emulate well by just recording straight off the keyboard):

I think there is indeed a market, though the popular concerti are all covered by Music Minus One already (they're not the best recordings I've heard but you can layer on some sounds to touch them up). For unpopular concerti like this Rach1, there just aren't that many people interested (I've never had anyone ask me for the accompaniment tracks) and I'm only doing it for personal enjoyment.

Someday I want to do the same thing with Medtner 1 and 2 as well. I probably should buy some software and learn to use orchestra libraries so I can control how it sounds though, but I would probably try to pay people to help with getting the notes into MIDI.

I think you could certainly make a profit on Rach2 or Rach3 with a higher quality version compared to Music Minus One and charging around 100 dollars for it. For less popular concerti, you would have a monopoly so you could charge a good amount more (even a piano accompanist is extremely expensive). I think for Rach1 I would pay 500 for a wav file without hesitation, and for Medtner 2 I would go up to 1500 dollars before thinking about a different route, but I'm probably the only amateur musician in the world looking at learning Medtner 1 or 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom