What's new

Concept of orchestration "2 months - The critical point"

PeterN

I know some here make a cue in a day, even hours, for me the composition is 3 months in average. If it took 4 years for Beethoven for a symphony, that 3 months could maybe even be considered fast. So thats just to make it clear, before I introduce the concept called "the critical point". In other words, this is my "orchestration tip" for those of us who compose a song for weeks.

OK

So, the critical point. It is a frustrating concept, but this is how to apply the concept.

Say, you have a great song and start to work on it. You know its a good song, but you want you suck the last frop out of it. You want it to be a masterpiece. You have guitar or piano there under. You start to add orchestra. You build movement etc. Now after 1 month you have heard the song about 200 times and it can start to have a taste of wood. You need to trick yourself to forget it, to keep the objectivity, this is a hard part. But its possible. Does the song still appeal? You go on....

So heres the concept:

If you hate the song after 2 months you shall drop it. Because after 3 months, when the song is ready, you will not be able to take it anymore. It will be torture. If you still like it after 2 months you shall keep it. You can judge by that "critical point" if the song is good - or something you wanted it to be.

Its very frustrating to throw a song after 2 months of hard work, but thats what should be done. It is "the critical point". Like where you can check if the thermometer will go below zero: 2 months.

You may freely use this orchestration tip.

Here’s my advice, to myself-

You are the architect. You build a road. You want everyone else in the world to drive down it and enjoy what you created, the scenery, the bends, the vista.

Most importantly, you want to create an environment where people want to explore because they feel there is more to learn, know and understand.

Music is like that. And stop overworking your stuff. Put enough in to entice and complete, but once there is nothing left to the imagination, you lose people.

A very wise producer once wrote - stop when you listen to a composition, and you want to go back and re-listen again and again. Because once you’ve hit the point where you listen once through and say, well that was enough, no more, you have lost interest, and others will too. ( in other words, don’t beat the life out of it, it’s fun to have a bit of danger in there, something that is just on this side of what you call ‘done’ )

Here’s my advice, to myself-

You are the architect. You build a road. You want everyone else in the world to drive down it and enjoy what you created, the scenery, the bends, the vista.

Most importantly, you want to create an environment where people want to explore because they feel there is more to learn, know and understand.

Music is like that. And stop overworking your stuff. Put enough in to entice and complete, but once there is nothing left to the imagination, you lose people.

A very wise producer once wrote - stop when you listen to a composition, and you want to go back and re-listen again and again. Because once you’ve hit the point where you listen once through and say, well that was enough, no more, you have lost interest, and others will too. ( in other words, don’t beat the life out of it, it’s fun to have a bit of danger in there, something that is just on this side of what you call ‘done’ )

Mike Verta said he hates all his music. He said it many times, in many of his videos, and with passion. But "The Race" is out there on Youtube, and its good. How can he hate it.

That being said, I know very well what he means. But can he make something he does not hate? I hate 95% of my stuff and only keep the 5% now. Is that a mistake maybe. Should we keep the stuff we hate? I dont know. But it is possible to like ones own music, thats the point here. The mark is around 2 months, if you dislike it at that point, there is no turning back. At 3 months when its ready you hate it so much its like torture. Its rare to have a song you like after you worked on it for 8 weeks, but a FEW make it. Like a pop song you can listen to 1000 times without feeling nausea. Coldplays "Yellow" you can make 1000 times and its still good. David Grays "Sail Away" is same. And a bunch of others. So anyway, Im doing stuff now according to the "8 week principle", if its worn out at that point, I dish it. I dont expect this to interest anyone, but if someone does the same, do pass a note. A support group here would be great, it is extremely frustrating.

Top Bottom