What's new

Con Moto violin B - can it do fast passages ?

Following this thread, curious about the responses. I have to admit being particularly seduced by his the "tone" demos with a moderately slow legato and Performance Samples in general:)

Following this thread, curious about the responses. I have to admit being particularly seduced by his the "tone" demos with a moderately slow legato and Performance Samples in general:)

i heard some out of tune recording in the official demos. hmmm...

Actually it does it quite well, at least for what the Con Moto Violins B are intended for I'd say. But i guess it depends on your definition on what is fast and what not. If you are not overdoing
it you are on the safe side.

Here is a short example:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/con-moto-violin-b-test-by-przemyslaw-kopczyk-mp3.19443/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Con Moto Violin B test - by Przemyslaw Kopczyk.mp3
    637.3 KB · Views: 211
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/con-moto.71111/page-4#post-4372025

Did you listen to those? It actually can do it, quite decently, with some work. Haven't really used them extensively though. It depends on the passage. It's probably best used layered to add some movement/drama to (slower to moderately fast) legato lines. Same note legato is a bit of an issue. Some releases can be a bit weird. Attack delay can be a bit weird. You'll prob need to layer with accents/shorts for some.

Here's another test with quite a bit going on. It's quite thorough and makes it sweat:
https://instaud.io/private/8a82e95a6c817894966b6231e468966935327b6b

Obviously, some lines/passages are more appropriate. If you've got a specific MIDI or test/piece, tell me. Will try to do it. Maybe I'll do another run tomorrow.

strange radio silence on what was a pretty highly anticipated library. I asked over at the main thread what the verdict was and...crickets. :scout:

I agree...usually with other release, like CSS or the up and coming MSB, I am sure there will be tons of replies...Can't even find a decent demo on YouTube that isn't from the site. I have the library...and I have to venture a guess...has to come down to price...as it usually does. The advance sale was like 2 days...if you missed that, it went up $20, now it should be at full price of $149. SO I am thinking that unless lots of people praise this library, it's not going to do very well at this price point.

I am not saying that it's not worth it...for some it ins't. I mean for $250 more, you get A full string library from Cinematic Studio Series, and full articulations instead of ONE.

My other issue wis that the cellos seem to have attack notes, and apparently this was not planned...so you can theoretically, do some short notes with the cellos...well the violins do not have this feature...so where is the consistency? The cello are also $149...so $300 for 2 instruments, that only have legato? When you think about it that way...you can see why some people are staying away. Just my opinion...I had high hopes for this library also...the sound is fantastic to say the least...BUT...it really is a one trick pony.

I have the library and love it. The tone and movement within the sustains is what makes it special. The bow change legato is also a nice alternative to other libraries. It’s designed to achieve a specific sound in specific circumstances...for that, it’s among the best available. I’m very glad to have picked it up.

To be fair, most of what I pointed out is really hard for most libraries (especially if using just sustain patches). This one just has a very specific use-case. Half the reason I bought it is I liked the sound and approach, the other half is I wanted to support the company to make more expansive goodies. But this is definitely not your main workhorse library. It can make a nice addition though, to add some detail and movement. I think it can use some refinement, but I had adjusted expectations. A lower price could make it justifiable for a lot more people. Pretty sure it will shine on the right passage though. Think of it more as a rare, sparingly used condiment.

This is one library that could potentially be the forerunner in string libraries, but I personally think they chose poorly in their business model. It's clear that we all love the sound and playability, but we also struggle with why it hasn't been refined a bit more, and why they chose to do one one articulation.

Every time I load up the Violin B, I get angry because it sounds so dam good...but what on earth am I going to do with ONE articulation, and with one instrument release at a time? I mean it's not a solo instrument, that you can use along with others...Sure I can force it in, but the beauty is to use it fully exposed as part of an ensemble that are recorded in the same space. The tone is absolutely fantastic, but their price point we all know is questionable. But we can go on and on about how sad it is that P.S. chose to go this route...unless they make the changes that we all want, they may never get too far...not with the competition that's out there.

Sadly though, I still want the rest of the strings...if for nothing, just to have a complete legato library...LOL For whatever good that does. But no way am I going to pay full price for the cellos...:)

Btw, I forgot to mention it can do some nice sustains too (with legato off or not). Example with a combo of sustain + legato on lead:
https://instaud.io/private/e2701af4009bb5bf60de253005c42d62ec9658a8

Top Bottom