What's new

Con Moto - Complete Bundle (sale through mid-April)

I have no global figures of string library sales, neither do you.

Correct!

Maybe some developers WANT lower demand. Especially if the money is going to be about the same. Higher demand does not always = more money. Maybe some developers know that their customers like the fact that not everyone has this library, that library. Maybe some developers aren't in it for the money.

If a developer drastically cuts the price on a product and attracts let’s say for example twice as many new customers, then they just got the email address and attention of a whole slew of new customers who just might be persuaded over time to buy other items from the product line.

Right - but now most of these people are going to be expecting low-cost libraries from you from now on. And if you don't deliver - you have lost them. So you are now stuck with selling low cost libraries from that point forward?

Right - but now most of these people are going to be expecting low-cost libraries from you from now on. And if you don't deliver - you have lost them. So you are now stuck with selling low cost libraries from that point forward?

I don't think that $79 for ONE articulation per string instrument is "low-cost". I think it is more reasonable a price to pay for what you get. Yes..I know they're fantastic at what they do, but are they that much better? I mean it's one thing if we can actually build a damn string ensemble, but so far it's coming in drips and drabs. The price might be more attractive once there is a solid 4 instruments/ I did buy the Violin B and their Fluid Shorts...I am waiting for the viola...hopefully there will be a sale on the cellos at some point. People keep mentioning CSS, and I have it as well, and it's a close sound to PS...so it's a good base for comparison, as well as CSS is regarded as one of the best legato's on the market. So at $149, for one single articulation and instrument seems a bit off, especially since they aren't perfect. If there is no choice, and I really want the cello one day, I'll get it...

The only real risk I see for Performance Samples here is that if they wait too long before releasing the viola and the Violin A, other companies may produce and sell a similar kind of library before PS can deliver what their users have been wanting to buy from them for quite some time now.

Buy them on intro sale, or 50% sale and it is totally worth it. I use these all the time, especially for layering when I need a bit more detail or expressivity.

The difference between this and real string libraries, is that these are designed for one very specific purpose. And no other library will get it done as well as these can. These are not string libraries, these are for expanding your options where others fall flat.

It is a lot to spend on an expansion pack essentially, but the shorts are always my go to. Also when I really want to add some beauty and weight to certain areas con moto just do something other libraries dont. Are they priced high/overpriced? Maybe, but at the same time, I’d say I’m getting my money’s worth.

I never buy stuff not on sale unless it need it immediately. Not sure why others don't do the same. Performance samples has big intro sales and big sales overall

Well, it's better for the developer (and I am just throwing out #s here) to sell 2,000 copies @ $149 than to sell 4,000 copies @ $74.50.

Same money, less support.

Performance samples explicitly states in its EULA that customer support is not included.

And yes, the Con moto series is too expensive. No other way to look at it.

And yes, the Con moto series is too expensive.
Personally, I'd rather pay more for a single instruments that I know I'm going to use than have to buy a full string library even if all I need from that library is one of the instruments, or only the shorts, or only a legato cello. And among the many sampled string sections I've heard, the Con Moto cello (and the CSS cello and V1, the Soaring Strings viola, the SCS V1 and some more) are among those who stick out as particularly playable and 'believable'.

Seen in that context, $150 isn't that bad (especially compared with buying a number of string libraries and ending up with only using one of the instruments). My guess is that more companies will start to sell single instruments, and that the price per instrument bought one by one will be higher if buying the whole section.

My guess is that more companies will start to sell single instruments, and that the price per instrument bought one by one will be higher if buying the whole section.

I have no issues with the one by one thing. OT is going that route I believe later this year, but I'll bet you it's not going to be limited to one articulation.

So you're not really buying a single instrument library, you're buying a single articulation, from a single instrument. I mean let's price out a solo instrument like Joshua Bell for instance. It's regarded as one of the best solo violin libraries out right? It's price is currently $199. It has 11 different articulations, and then a slew of different varieties of those articulations...something in total along the lines of 30+? now I am well aware that a single violin will cost less than hiring 8 musicians, and there is more time involved...but if they're just playing one articulation, how long could it possibly take in the studio? My point is that the price point may have worked years ago when choices were far less. I also appreciate that PS might be feeling that they're treading that elite status like Apple...where they can price a metal stand for $1k, but that's a whole different topic...LOL

I am also not taking anything away from Performance Samples with their incredible sound and playability that they achieve. But to price their cello at $149 in comparison only, is steep. Their intro price is totally fair, and that's when I buy. One can also argue that there are no comparisons, as PS is in a league of their own...and again, they may very well be. I truly truly love the sound of their recordings, but once I have all their instruments of the Con Moto series, I am still left with only one articulation, and using them only for legato. I have their Fluid Shorts...not the same recording or amount of players, so it's not like Fluid is the SHORT articulations that are missing.

What I am looking forward to however, is their joint venture with a Nashville chamber strings orchestra. Apparently it will be more complete...but that can take years.

For now, I can only hope that the cello goes on sale soon, and that they release the violas in a reasonable time.

I also want to add this little kid bit of information. So confirmed, is the cello library has additional articulations/attacks, because it was a by product of the recording, and was not planned. The violin B does NOT have this same attack adjustment and flexibility, so it does not play the same...it's like they're from two totally different libraries. To me, there isn't even any congruity to these samples to work as a whole. It's frustrating because the sound is so good, yet it's so lacking :(

I have no issues with the one by one thing. OT is going that route I believe later this year, but I'll bet you it's not going to be limited to one articulation.

So you're not really buying a single instrument library, you're buying a single articulation, from a single instrument. I mean let's price out a solo instrument like Joshua Bell for instance. It's regarded as one of the best solo violin libraries out right? It's price is currently $199. It has 11 different articulations, and then a slew of different varieties of those articulations...something in total along the lines of 30+? now I am well aware that a single violin will cost less than hiring 8 musicians, and there is more time involved...but if they're just playing one articulation, how long could it possibly take in the studio? My point is that the price point may have worked years ago when choices were far less. I also appreciate that PS might be feeling that they're treading that elite status like Apple...where they can price a metal stand for $1k, but that's a whole different topic...LOL

I am also not taking anything away from Performance Samples with their incredible sound and playability that they achieve. But to price their cello at $149 in comparison only, is steep. Their intro price is totally fair, and that's when I buy. One can also argue that there are no comparisons, as PS is in a league of their own...and again, they may very well be. I truly truly love the sound of their recordings, but once I have all their instruments of the Con Moto series, I am still left with only one articulation, and using them only for legato. I have their Fluid Shorts...not the same recording or amount of players, so it's not like Fluid is the SHORT articulations that are missing.

What I am looking forward to however, is their joint venture with a Nashville chamber strings orchestra. Apparently it will be more complete...but that can take years.

For now, I can only hope that the cello goes on sale soon, and that they release the violas in a reasonable time.

Forgive me if I am misreading your message, but what I hear is a contradiction: You say their Price point does not work in today's market. But you are looking forward to their release of the violas. Sorry but it is confusing and contradicting.

Furthermore, your comparison with the Joshua Bell Violin is also not fair. The PS Cellos and Violins B are both amazing. I don't know how long it took them to record it in the studio, but they have spent a stupid amount of hours of programming on these to make it as perfect and as musical as possible. You complain about them taking too long to release new instruments, but the reason for that is exactly the insane amount of time it takes to program these, and the perfectionism they put into it. I am just thankful that they put them out when they get to finishing them into perfection.

It is simple - If you think they are too expensive when comparing to other libraries, then it is a free market, go buy those libraries. I am sticking with Performance Samples because I think they are better than any other, and I do not find them expensive, given they get used EVERY single day at my studio. I have the Joshua Bell violin. It is good. But I do not use it often. It is not so easy to use. But I use the Solos Of the Sea Solo Violin very often (Yes, even though it has only Legato) because It brings my ideas to life better than other libraries do.

I said it before and I'll say it again - Libraries should not be measured by number of articulations or patches. They should be measured by how often they get used, and how they lead you to write better music and produce that music to higher standards.

Too many people complaining about the price here. We are all rather lucky that Jasper is devoting time to create amazing libraries for us composers. We should be thankful for it. And for some, if they find it too expensive because it is only one articulation, then don't buy. But please do not start to question the amount of hours of work that goes into making one of these libraries, and comparing apples to pears. Sorry for the rant. But I don't enjoy seeing this kind of criticism to an indie company that is making some of the most amazing libraries ever produced.

You say their Price point does not work in today's market. But you are looking forward to their release of the violas. Sorry but it is confusing and contradicting.

Their price works for their intro price...it's like half off their regular price. totally worth it...but if people are 2 days late (that's another ridiculous time frame, but another topic), it's full price...

I am just thankful that they put them out when they get to finishing them into perfection.

I am thankful too, but not as much as you are...LOL ...but for me it's their sound that got me. But it's like anything else, if you want something bad enough someone will pay for it. I have all the time in the world to wait for sales...I am not hurting for their library, but I like it because it is a different animal. But I don't need this now for any particular gig, so the urgency on my end isn't there.

I use the Solos Of the Sea Solo Violin very often (Yes, even though it has only Legato) because It brings my ideas to life better than other libraries do.

So after you have your legato idea and you want to have the solo violin play a short note, you switch to another library? Or a marcato, or portamento?
I would love to have their solo violin...their free violin is what got me hooked on to them in the first place. Again, limited...BUT, this one I feel is worth it for whatever strange reason, I would pay the $139 for the solo violin. Why? because it will probably get used more often, as you said, you use it every day and it's worth having. I use tons of other complete libraries, so it's not absolutely necessary to have the cello right now. Not like I can do anything with it anyway, it's a cello and violin...I like to write for a complete section, so I'd be waiting anyway for their other releases.

I don't enjoy seeing this kind of criticism to an indie company that is making some of the most amazing libraries ever produced.

PS have their competition too, and other developers are making incredible libraries as well. I am not disagreeing with you, I am saying that they're not the only game in town. The complaints about the prices are not for lack of money, it's again, what you are getting for the price compared to what you can get with other ALSO great libraries.
If you feel that PS is the best of the best, that's all good...it's debatable, and that's what makes these arguments relative. I do agree that it does come down to use. Will their con moto cello spark some creativity that I Haden't thought of???, maybe, but then I'd be stuck using half a string section. At least with the violas release, I can use CSS CB to make up for it, as they sound similar and in the context of an orchestration, I can get away with it.

I agree on most things with you except that they're a steal for the price. On sale, in a heartbeat, they're worth it for sure...at full price, I'd need more thought into it. But I am glad that you are this passionate about a library...and will wait years for them to complete..I think it's been at least a year or more since the cello and their Violin. At this rate, a complete library will be 4 year in the making.

I will probably pick up the solo violin, because I do feel that I can get use out of it. So maybe it is a straight up use issue.

Their price works for their intro price...it's like half off their regular price. totally worth it...but if people are 2 days late (that's another ridiculous time frame, but another topic), it's full price...

I am thankful too, but not as much as you are...LOL ...but for me it's their sound that got me. But it's like anything else, if you want something bad enough someone will pay for it. I have all the time in the world to wait for sales...I am not hurting for their library, but I like it because it is a different animal. But I don't need this now for any particular gig, so the urgency on my end isn't there.

So after you have your legato idea and you want to have the solo violin play a short note, you switch to another library? Or a marcato, or portamento?
I would love to have their solo violin...their free violin is what got me hooked on to them in the first place. Again, limited...BUT, this one I feel is worth it for whatever strange reason, I would pay the $139 for the solo violin. Why? because it will probably get used more often, as you said, you use it every day and it's worth having. I use tons of other complete libraries, so it's not absolutely necessary to have the cello right now. Not like I can do anything with it anyway, it's a cello and violin...I like to write for a complete section, so I'd be waiting anyway for their other releases.

PS have their competition too, and other developers are making incredible libraries as well. I am not disagreeing with you, I am saying that they're not the only game in town. The complaints about the prices are not for lack of money, it's again, what you are getting for the price compared to what you can get with other ALSO great libraries.
If you feel that PS is the best of the best, that's all good...it's debatable, and that's what makes these arguments relative. I do agree that it does come down to use. Will their con moto cello spark some creativity that I Haden't thought of???, maybe, but then I'd be stuck using half a string section. At least with the violas release, I can use CSS CB to make up for it, as they sound similar and in the context of an orchestration, I can get away with it.

I agree on most things with you except that they're a steal for the price. On sale, in a heartbeat, they're worth it for sure...at full price, I'd need more thought into it. But I am glad that you are this passionate about a library...and will wait years for them to complete..I think it's been at least a year or more since the cello and their Violin. At this rate, a complete library will be 4 year in the making.

I will probably pick up the solo violin, because I do feel that I can get use out of it. So maybe it is a straight up use issue.

Fair points you make. I don't think I ever said they were a steal, or please quote me if I'm wrong. I said they are worth it, or not expensive. That is different than saying it is a steal.

I have been able to very effectively use the Cellos and Violins to bring out more important lines, whilst using other string libraries for the violas and basses. And I am still happy to have these. I look forward to the violas and Violins A. But having these ones for the past year was amazing and very useful to blend with other libraries. But if you only like to use a full string library from ONE developer I can understand that and you should wait the complete thing to be available. Maybe at that time there might even be a bundle pricing...
For me it is OK in the meantime to use what they released so far. The Solo violin Solos of the sea is by far my favorite violin. It has a low footprint, but it plays so beautifully.

My two favorite string libraries right now are Con Moto, and the Afflatus, which coincidentally both have been attacked by some in the forum as being too expensive. But the reality is that they offer something that takes me to places that no other library was able to before. It's all relative. For me they have been worth it for sure.

Top Bottom