What's new

Comprehensive SFX library subscription for a shoestring budget?

mopsiflopsi

What the title says. I'm working on adding sfx to my own game, which, in a nutshell, I can describe as a pirate action game. I can't justify spending a ton of money for stuff I'll probably never use so I figure my best bet is with a subscription based library. I've already bought into Zapsplat. I've been eyeing Soundsnap as well.

What are some other services with a good balance between price and comprehensiveness?

On a somewhat similar note, I've been intrigued by Krotos' Weaponizer, but the price tag is making my eyes water. Is there a more affordable option out there?

What the title says. I'm working on adding sfx to my own game, which, in a nutshell, I can describe as a pirate action game. I can't justify spending a ton of money for stuff I'll probably never use so I figure my best bet is with a subscription based library. I've already bought into Zapsplat. I've been eyeing Soundsnap as well.

What are some other services with a good balance between price and comprehensiveness?

On a somewhat similar note, I've been intrigued by Krotos' Weaponizer, but the price tag is making my eyes water. Is there a more affordable option out there?
Some good free suggestions, here, with some extra legwork put in by the inimitable @TigerTheFrog:

Thanks for the suggestions! Wow, Soundly looks really great. It even has FreeSound CC0 as an add on!

Soundsnap is great in terms of spending $150 for a six month subscription to download specific WAV sounds (only 150 files in that time period); get only what you need/use. A Sound Design website is also good...they even have a “pirate game” pack for about $20-$30 (I have it, and it is good). Finally, if you hire a sound designer, even work with someone just starting out, you in effect get access to their sound library with the salary paid (some usually have or are willing to purchase sounds to make the project happen). Best of luck!

Which DAW do you use @mopsiflopsi ? Follow up to come.

Can I ask, do you own a recorder of any kind? Handheld recorders are now so cheap.... And absolutely nothing beats recording your own material, specific to the project you're working on. I'm sure you already have a list of what you need for the project, and while some things might not be immediately easy to access, you would be surprised what some research and ingenuity can enable, for free. It is also an invaluable learning & creative experience, making your future projects better, forever more... People happily invest so much in their studios and software etc... The basic ability to record sounds on location should be an important part of that.

Top Bottom