What's new

Compositions on Staffpad.

You have to render first. So you won't hear instant pitch or note feedback when you draw/write a note in. But I've been able to create some pretty complex harmonies by just dragging notes around afterwards if my transcription from my inner ear to the Apple Pencil is a bit off. Pretty easy workflow.
Cool, thanks. That's what I intend to do...maybe just get the rhythm down then move the notes. Thank you....waiting for the new iPad Pro to drop before getting this. :)

Cool, thanks. That's what I intend to do...maybe just get the rhythm down then move the notes. Thank you....waiting for the new iPad Pro to drop before getting this. :)
I actually find this methodology works rather well, and quickly. If I write in the phrase and it's not quite what I hear in my head, adjusting is a snap.

Just be patient with StaffPad. It's amazing but it's still in its infancy in many ways. Once you embrace what it does do, the sky is the limit musically. I see too many people who fight it and it's not the way to success.

Just to let you know dcoscina, I reed all of your posts in the Staffpad sub-forum and based on your opinions I decided 6 months ago to go for it.

Don't regret for a second.
Sometimes is a pain when it decided not to recognize a particular symbol but I have never composed so fast in past as I am doing now (except when I was composing in paper and pencil :))

g

Just to let you know dcoscina, I reed all of your posts in the Staffpad sub-forum and based on your opinions I decided 6 months ago to go for it.

Don't regret for a second.
Sometimes is a pain when it decided not to recognize a particular symbol but I have never composed so fast in past as I am doing now (except when I was composing in paper and pencil :))

g
Thanks! That’s nice to know! I’m glad it’s worked out for you . I dreamt about an app like this for decades and I’m glad it’s more or less arrived. DWH is actively working on improving it and I think it will be even better. As it stands, I no longer need to be in my studio to compose orchestral music and get pretty fine feedback sonically

I bought a 256gb gen 4 and its more than enough - but if you are looking at a new M1 iPad, I'd now go for 512gb as Staffpad handling audio will mean bigger files.....
Good point. I had just settled on 512 but thought I would ask. I wonder if with intensive use you could end up needing more. It would seem you would probably be okay on a project basis since you could offload large audio files and then have room for the next project. Want to make sure I have a certain amount of headroom. Thanks.

Btw, are people simply laying the Ipad flat or using a particular stand or...?

Apologies, this is the wrong thread for these questions isn’t it?

Btw, are people simply laying the Ipad flat or using a particular stand or...?

Apologies, this is the wrong thread for these questions isn’t it?
I use a gel keyboard rest like this one to prop it up.....

51QCDhUEz8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also, I bought one of those Akai LPK 25 mini Bluetooth keyboards, and run a piano app in the background so I can double check my work....
61bJXd4gC7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm nowhere near filling my 256gb, but as a pianist, I can see using audio transcription (when it comes) for a fair bit of improvisation work.

I travel a great deal, so if I can avoid dragging around external drives I will. Plus I think apps like Cubasis are going to become much more powerful with the new CPU. However, I'll be sticking with my 2020 4th gen for the duration.......

Top Bottom