What's new

Compositions on Staffpad.

That's an impressive piece. I never thought of an organ concerto; the organ is an orchestra in itself!
There are actually quite a few concerti for organ... as well as a number of symphonies with a significant obbligato organ part.

Glad you liked it!

So as an organist, you must chuckle when you hear people complaining about a few ms of latency between their keyboard and DAW

So as an organist, you must chuckle when you hear people complaining about a few ms of latency between their keyboard and DAW
No kidding. I think the worst I’ve ever experienced was between a quarter and a half second. You get used to it, but it’s almost impossible to play by ear or improvise... if you try to listen, you play slower... and slower... and slower...
<chuckle>

I had fun writing something different than the usual affair for me in StaffPad, exploring some of the sound effect and drums type sounds in CinePerc. The libraries wide variety of instruments was useful in this regard.
The cue has about 45 seconds of dissonant underscore and then the "action" fun begins.

Hope you enjoy!

Brandon Walker
musicbybrandonwalker.com

I've been pretty reticent lately. Something interesting I discovered is that while I adore StaffPad (cannot say that enough) I ported over older Sibelius and Dorico compositions that played back via NotePerformer and in some cases, SP couldn't keep up, especially with fast repeating sections. I have attached the same short movement from a brass quintet I'm working on and I actually find NP a bit closer to what a small brass group would sound like.

Sonically SP sounds nicer but Berlin Brass cannot handle the double tonguing passages which is pretty much the entire piece (it's short because either the players would pass out if it were longer, or else key my car/kill me after they performed it).

Oh there is a slight difference between the music in these two pieces. The Dorico/NP version ends on a quartal chord instead of a triad.

I dialed down the reverb all the way on Berlin Brass in SP to try to get a closer, tighter sound, but as you will hear, NP has much more definition of detail. I also had to change the staccato markings in the Dorico version to staccatisimo in SP since it was playing the note values too long for this tempo and pace. Oddly enough, there's also a tuning issue between trps 1 and 2 in BB on SP. You can hear it in the B theme section.

Again, I'm not dissing StaffPad but rather appreciating the value of Dorico/NP after being away from them for a while. StaffPad is still my primary compositional tool these days but, as I already knew, a full blown notation program (Finale, Sibelius, Dorico) with NotePerformer can provide some extra features and perspective on playback- for now. I know SP is being aggressively developed so I wouldn't be surprised if its ability to handle these kinda of pieces improves markedly in the future.

Attachments

• Freneticity .mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
  • Freneticity - Freneticity.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:

I had fun writing something different than the usual affair for me in StaffPad, exploring some of the sound effect and drums type sounds in CinePerc. The libraries wide variety of instruments was useful in this regard.
The cue has about 45 seconds of dissonant underscore and then the "action" fun begins.

Hope you enjoy!

Brandon Walker
musicbybrandonwalker.com

Thanks for shaming Brandon. Fun to listen to, I like your style of music!

“Love poem”

Im not sure if it is possible for a harp, to change tonality this fast.
Well, it can be played on a piano, just using less arpeggios 🙂

In Tina Guo solo cello, there is some less cohesive transition between the louder dynamic layers. And as in al Berlin series, the tenuto samples are to quiet.
But, the solo cello is so beautiful and espressivo- I love it.

“Love poem”

Im not sure if it is possible for a harp, to change tonality this fast.
Well, it can be played on a piano, just using less arpeggios 🙂

In Tina Guo solo cello, there is some less cohesive transition between the louder dynamic layers. And as in al Berlin series, the tenuto samples are to quiet.
But, the solo cello is so beautiful and espressivo- I love it.

That is lovely Ole. I'm going to cave and get the solo cello library now.

Wrote this little piece for my wife for our anniversary... I tried to envision what music I'd write to open a Hallmark movie made about our life together [chuckle] and this is what came out.

StaffPad | Berlin Strings and Steinway | Mastered in SoundForge

Wrote this little piece for my wife for our anniversary... I tried to envision what music I'd write to open a Hallmark movie made about our life together [chuckle] and this is what came out.

StaffPad | Berlin Strings and Steinway | Mastered in SoundForge

Nice quiet tone

Very nice! You really found the best in the Guo cello. Do we get to see the score?
Thanks for listening and your comments!

The score is a mess at the moment. There are things I have to do to make SP conform to what I want expressively. I'm planning on porting it over to Dorico and making a proper score that's concert ready... whenever that would be...

Last edited:
It's lovely as always David
Thanks for listening Bill. The opening section took literally a few hours. The rest of it took much longer... I stepped away from the work for a few weeks because I didn't have a really clear idea to develop and finish it. Then I finally hunkered down and just plowed through.

I still might expand the cello cadenza but I'm going to step away from it for a little while and work on some other stuff in the meantime. Like my ballet based on Miyamoto Musashi...

Last edited:
Top Bottom