What's new

Composition Tandem

Denkii

I was wondering if anyone is interested in something like a composition tandem.

Think of "finish my sentence" or "each user adds one word to the sentence" but for a little (in my case Cubase) project.

I don't really mind if there are rules like the maximum amount of bars/instruments one can add per turn, we could probably work that out on the fly.

Keeping it midi would be cool so we cut out stemming. That would include limiting the project to libraries both (or even more) users have. Plus probably keeping it unprocessed until finished.

Apologies if this forum already has something like this and/or if this thread is in the wrong place. Member's compositions felt wrong since it's nothing finished and the "song ideas" thing sounded to me more like something where everyone is working on it on their own.

halfwalk

I think it sounds like a fun idea. The main problem I foresee would be libraries, especially if you have more than two people involved; maybe, if the situation requires it, limit it to something small and free like Alpine Project, or even just a free GM soundfont to avoid Kontakt dependency (if that's even necessary).

The premise you've described sounds a little bit like exquisite corpse, though I think what sets that apart is the idea that there are many composers, and you can only hear the contributions of the person directly before you in the chain. Now that would be something cool to hear, a collaborative effort of the many composers here. And then after it's composed, maybe everyone could split off and produce their own mockup with their own libraries, and compare notes.

OP
Denkii

Denkii

I mean everyone is welcome to do what they want.

Personally, I'd prefer using something I already have to make use of it and have fun with it in a small collaboration. To me that's a big part of why this sounds appealing. Using a real product with someone else and see what you cook up together with them in an asynchronous manner.
I'm leaning more towards a concept of something like "only Albion V" (which I'd be super down for) or something similar.

Here's the list of what I'd personally be interested in using. If anyone wants to join, just leave a message with your preferred library.

The libraries I'm most interested in trying for this would be these:
Albion V (my preferred pick for this tbh)
Gravity (including all expansions, your choice which ones)

Libraries I could also offer for this:
BO Inspire 1
BO Inspire 2
Super Audio Cart (for fun :laugh: heads up: I'm extremely bad with this)
NOVO
FORZO
CSS + CSSS
CSB
SStWW (core & pro)

I left out stuff I'm not interested in right now but feel free to post your choice nonetheless so we can get people together.

OP
Denkii

Denkii

I think it sounds like a fun idea. The main problem I foresee would be libraries, especially if you have more than two people involved; maybe, if the situation requires it, limit it to something small and free like Alpine Project, or even just a free GM soundfont to avoid Kontakt dependency (if that's even necessary).

The premise you've described sounds a little bit like exquisite corpse, though I think what sets that apart is the idea that there are many composers, and you can only hear the contributions of the person directly before you in the chain. Now that would be something cool to hear, a collaborative effort of the many composers here. And then after it's composed, maybe everyone could split off and produce their own mockup with their own libraries, and compare notes.
I like the idea of everyone doing their own personal touch after it's called finished.

Top Bottom